Model Cars Magazine Forum

T bucket rod - in pink!

Sixties Sam

Hey guys. I saw this photo of a pink T bucket online and somehow was inspired by it to build something similar. I got the tall T double kit and built this roadster. It has a few modifications. I've seen so many T bucket rods that I thought were too long and too tall, so I took a scale foot out of the kit frame, and chopped the top and windshield 3/16". I dropped in a Buick V6, which fits the shorter frame nicely. I also shortened the turtledeck about 3/16" to complete the re-proportioning process. I am pleased with the results. Wheels are 40 Ford steelies with trim rings and parts box dog dishes. Paint is Krylon with Testors clear gloss pearl overcoat. The story is that a guy's wife wanted a hot rod in pink, so her hubby made this for her - what a guy! Comments welcome!

This was my inspiration:

Here's the model at my garage diorama. Of course, the lady in pink is the owner!

That is a cool model and I always enjoy the way you display your work in front of the garage diorama but as I was looking through, the first and third pictures have a girl leaning up against the wall next to the door and I could have sworn she was looking down at her smart phone and it just made the whole scene kind of surreal (I would put one of those little happy face things here but I don't know how, and I'm too stubborn to learn).

Cool dio and great re-proportioning on the T. The AMT double-T kit is insanely long in the frame...what you've done is trimmed it down to look more like the Tommy Ivo and Norm Grabowski T-buckets, both very well-proportioned cars (partially because Ivo's was surreptitiously measured from Grabowski's).

Pink isn't exactly my favorite color, but it works here. Just the thing for driving to the malt shop :D

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! BTW, this isn't the first time I've built a T roadster with a shortened frame and a Buick V6. Here's the one I built circa 1969. It sat for 34 years, falling apart. I rebuilt it in 2003, with headers I made from titanium wire, blued with a torch.

MVC-892S.JPG

MVC-898S.JPG