Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bird of Paradise

FordRodnKustom

Brilliant! don't use the decals! now why didn't I think of that?

because...without the decals you still have a very dumb looking sled of a car. to think Thunderbird once was a proud label. this one was well into the thunderturkey years. the decals actually help conceal that fact, so it gets points as a clown car.

always willing to help you out Keyser...which way did you come in?

I am sure these will sell in the tens. not tens of thousands, tens.

jb

I still don't understand why people post the above type of comments. Again, it's okay to not like the car or the kit. But, why rub our noses in it if you think it's that bad? Some of us like this generation Thunderbird. And we like the kit. There are lots of kits out there that I don't like, I think are stupid, and I will not buy. I will still read the reviews on them. But, I try to keep my negative comments away from them, so not to ruin others enjoyment of it. If there is a real problem with the kit. That's one thing. But, just because you don't like it means you have to tell the rest of us that we're all fools and idiots for liking it? Where has common courtesy gone? And I'm not interested in just singling out one person on this. I see this here a lot. And sometimes it gets me asking myself why I even come here to read these posts. Too bad. These should be fun and/or helpful. Was the above either?

Too bad nobody was running T-birds at NASCAR or road courses in '71 - a Holman-Moodyized version would have looked badass.

If you don't like it, you could always build it as a famous movie car:

renu3.gif

:D

Ohhhh... that is sad!

Hey Chris, what about  independent Henley Gray? He ran a Thunderbird in 71.

As for those calling it a 70's barge, with the similarities to the 70-71 Cyclone, alot can be done with this kit.

1970-Thunderbird-Henley-Gray.jpg

71tbird19-vi.jpg

talladegabird72.jpg

0501cr_12_z+1970_ford_thunderbird+airbag_suspension_side_view.jpg

Picked this one up today. I like it. Would have liked the white wall Supreme tires though. This one goes close to the top of the "to build" list for me. Here's what's in the box.

bop9_18_15008-vi.jpg

Interesting custom wheels, don't look like the typical Torque Thrust or Cragar S/S style that so many kits have.  Spokes on these appear "flatter" - anyone have any idea what style of 1:1 wheel they're patterned after?

One nice thing about these vintage kits is that usually even the custom wheels and speed equipment is usually based on real life designs, so I'm guessing that applies to these, too.  I planned to get one of these kits anyway, but it's a bit of an added benefit to get a different style of mag compared to what you typically see.

The more I look at it. The more I'm thinking it might be fun to build the car like the box art. Those psychedelic "Bird of Paradise" decals are a little on the funky side. But, with all the other custom parts in the kit, especially the rear window fill in, it needs to be done. It just reeks of the time period. I'm not saying JB that's it's classy in any way. But it's fun. And sometimes that's enough. I'm going for it!

The more I look at it. The more I'm thinking it might be fun to build the car like the box art. Those psychedelic "Bird of Paradise" decals are a little on the funky side. But, with all the other custom parts in the kit, especially the rear window fill in, it needs to be done. It just reeks of the time period. I'm not saying JB that's it's classy in any way. But it's fun. And sometimes that's enough. I'm going for it!

God be with you.

:P

I remember seeing a Similar Thunderbird at Dover a few times. But it was White.

Dover Downs IS only 75 milts North of me!!!

72 was the first time I went,

I want to say it was #10, and from Norfolk area. ONLY team to drive past my house both directions

(Using Bay Bridge--Tunnel between Virginia Beach & Cape Charles--Northampton & Southampton counties)

Picked one of these up today and opened it.  No big surprises, since FordRodnKustom already posted some awesome pics.  Couple observations on my part:

Didn't notice it in the pictures before, but 5 stock wheel covers are included.  My first thought was that there must be an option for a continental spare, but nope.  Kinda strange, anyone know the story?

The box side shows Goodyear Bluestreak slicks.  The slicks that are included have tampo-printed "Goodyear" white letters, but they DO NOT have the tampoed blue line, like they are including in some of their other kits.

For the 4 optional "mags", now that I see them in person, they look very similar to the mags in the '55 Corvette kit.  Wonder if it's even the same tooling inserts?  Between each of the spokes it looks like there's a pair of rivets, I'm guessing to attach the center section to the hoop on the 1:1 version.

Real happy to get another set of these wheels.  Never seen a 1:1 version of these in real life, I'd really like to know who the manufacturer was and what the style was called.  Seems like a really "aggressive" design.  If you look back at old Car Craft and Hot Rod magazines from 40 to 50 years ago, it's amazing how many wheel designs have totally disappeared over the years.

Edited by Robberbaron

Didn't notice it in the pictures before, but 5 stock wheel covers are included.  My first thought was that there must be an option for a continental spare, but nope.  Kinda strange, anyone know the story?

For the 4 optional "mags", now that I see them in person, they look very similar to the mags in the '55 Corvette kit.  Wonder if it's even the same tooling inserts?  Between each of the spokes it looks like there's a pair of rivets, I'm guessing to attach the center section to the hoop on the 1:1 version.

The five stock wheels go back to the kit's origins as a promotional model.  AMT put five wheels (and three headlamps in some cases) on the plated tree in some of their kits in the early Seventies.  Extras for the parts bins for the promo assemblers, in case one got dropped or a chunk of a part broke off while they were being removed from the sprue (which, I presume, was done as a separate step from assembly).

I don't know the brand of the custom wheels, but I'm pretty certain that the centers in the 1:1 wheels were magnesium.  I've seen pictures of dragsters and funny cars with those wheels on the back.

Curse you for posting this, Andy!! <_< :lol: Hmmm, lop off that protruding proboscis, add a waterfall style grille spilling over the front edge of the hood, rectangular euro-style headlights...

I bet the rectangular lights from the 66 Thunderbird would fit decently.

Luckily, I have a few of these and a dozen or so resin copies of the 70 Torino Cobra shaker assembly. Maybe I'll top off a Boss 429 with one

I don't have strong feelings about the kit one way or the other. I doubt I will be getting one because there's too much other recent stuff that interests me. However, I do have to say I find it surprising that Round 2 saw fit to bring this one back because it's my understanding it was an extremely poor seller for the Model King. Of course, one could argue that the Model King's premium pricing was a factor, but modelers sure didn't seem to have issues paying extra for his other releases.

As for the decals ... yes, they are tacky, garish and over the top, but really no more so than the ones in the recent '62 Vette reissue, and I don't recall people getting their noses out of joint over those. And, if the sheet and box set help sell a few of the T-bird kits to folks who fondly remember the original BOP kit from their childhoods, then more power to Round 2.

Edited by Allen Wrench