Model Cars Magazine Forum

detail engraving in hidden areas

I always wondered why manufacturers do this: very intricate engraving in areas that are sure to be covered up. The classic example has to be the Revell Parts Pack engines...all that detail on the head surfaces of the block, on the heads themselves, under the valve covers, etc. sometimes complete pistons and crankshafts and connecting rods. and never a mention of building the engine halfway as if it were on a workbench, apart. but that must be the reason, right? its just that I have never really seen many models with that detail exposed other than in garage dioramas. But would a company like Revell (lots of others have done it too) really take the time and expense to do that engraving and then not really offer a reason for it like also selling a diorama base kit or at least a mention on the box art or instructions as a selling point for the kit? even today, kits that use the parts pack engines display this same fairly useless detail...example Ivo's Showboat, but I am sure that's because the original was like that so why change it.

another example is the Fujimi enthusiasts series Porsche 356 in its many guises. but with that there is included an engine stand as well as photos of the car in what they also offer as a diorama garage scene so it makes more sense in this case.

in some cases this useless detail makes the assembly of the engine (or etc) more difficult by not presenting smooth clean surfaces for glue to adhere to.

I guess my question boils down to whether there was some plan for using this detail that never surfaced?

jb

Maybe because they can? :D  This is often the case with armor and and aircraft model kits too - full engine which will never be seen after the model is fully assembled, or full interiors which will not be seen once the fuselage is assembled.  Pocher 1:8 kits have fully detailed engines but the parts are never to be seen once the engine is assembled.

One reason is probably to be able to brag on the kit's packaging that those details are included in the kit.  But I also think that the reason is to give the modeler an option to build those hidden gems either as a separately-displayed model, do a cutaway-view model showing the hidden parts, or simply (as with the engine packs) give a modeler source of miniature engine parts for a garage diorama or a junk yard.

Also, nobody is forcing you to use those hidden parts (unless they are structural pars of the kit). Modelers often leave those parts out of the kit.  I don't think that those parts were leftovers from some possible variation of the kit (since as you said, they would not be normally visible).

As far as I know, the idea was that the detailed engine parts could be included with completed models as display props, or built up to resemble a half-assembled engine.

I've seen several old magazine cover photos that featured 1:1 cars partially disassembled with all the "go fast" parts and chrome arrayed on the ground in front. I suspect Revell had something similar in mind. Not to mention the car shows of the day with the elaborate themed displays, matching gas cans, chromed tools, wheels removed to show off chromed brakes, etc.

It is kinda weird though, to include miniature crankshafts (in the case of the AMT parts packs) when they'll never be seen. I really think they must have been intended for display, and that "cool factor" that would attract kids to their products.

yeah all that hidden detail really separates the "replicas" from the toys. especially when you cannot see it. but it looks good when you drop it on the floor because you made it so the wheels turn so it would be a "replica" instead of a toy.

do you also make the seat belts retract on a closed car? how about the steering wheel turning the wheels? opening ashtray? no wonder nothing ever gets finished.

jb

yeah all that hidden detail really separates the "replicas" from the toys. especially when you cannot see it. but it looks good when you drop it on the floor because you made it so the wheels turn so it would be a "replica" instead of a toy.

do you also make the seat belts retract on a closed car? how about the steering wheel turning the wheels? opening ashtray? no wonder nothing ever gets finished.

jb

To each their own.Seems silly to get bent out of shape over it. It seems a lot of people like the details.

From what I understand, model car contests of the day gave points for working features like opening doors, steering wheels, or even roll-up windows. The connotation was that more detail (and more modifications) were better. So the model manufacturers were probably playing into that by suggesting that their parts were the most complete and detailed available, and could give builders a leg up. Not many years earlier, model cars had blob-like engines and lacked undercarriage detail, so the new, more detailed and accurate kits must have been exciting and the parts packs capitalized on that excitement.

In addition to the internal detail (rocker detail, crankshafts, etc) they paid a lot of attention to including real-world brand names and speed parts.  So a kid could say "I built this with a 392 Chrysler hemi, a Weiand Drag-Star intake, Isky full race cam, six Stromberg carbs, Vertex magneto, B&M Hydro transmission, M&H drag slicks, and Halibrand magnesium wheels...just like my uncle's race car!" There's a certain pride of accomplishment in creating something recognizable.

This reminds me of a scene from one of the "behind the scenes" DVDs for the Lord of the Rings movies....one of the actors discovered that the costumers who'd made his leather armor had hand-tooled the interior in beautiful patterns, even though the work would never be seen on-screen. And the actor thought "wow, now I actually feel like a king".

So...I suspect the model manufacturers were hoping builders would buy their products and feel like kings for having done so. That's good business.