Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mad Max Gigahorse

Ridge Rider

Remember that if you don't know what the underside looks like...neither does anyone else.Just build it to suit yourself ,which obviously be very cool,and all will end as an amazing finished model of an amazing real car from an unlikely future.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Thanks for the  positive response guys.  I am surprising myself with how well this is turning out.  I had a parts tree from a semi with some brake parts on it. They were very close to what I needed but all the parts needed modified to get this look.  The wheels, canisters, and steering rods are all dry fit for the pic-if something looks funny.  But I think it looks awesome.

gigahorse_001.thumb.JPG.88dc28d1d1447935

gigahorse_002.thumb.JPG.1cbf819f5c40569cgigahorse_004.thumb.JPG.11034927eb2f67b9gigahorse_003.thumb.JPG.4ea4525d64fce386gigahorse_008.thumb.JPG.4b0c08cb26935cfc

I will be moving on to the rear axle and hope it turns out as nice.  Thanks for looking.  Steve 

Edited by Ridge Rider

I have never bothered to look at this build due to lack of interest with the subject, BUT!!!    Bugger me, i am glad i finally did, 

the work you are putting into this is just unbelievable, all the fabrication work involved , and your eye for the details,

i WILL be watching this build now i have looked,  OFF THE HOOK work mate, just incredible.....   :o 

I have never bothered to look at this build due to lack of interest with the subject, BUT!!!    Bugger me, i am glad i finally did, 

the work you are putting into this is just unbelievable, all the fabrication work involved , and your eye for the details,

i WILL be watching this build now i have looked,  OFF THE HOOK work mate, just incredible.....   :o 

Great model work is great model work.......I love the subject great the work is even better.....

Thanks for the support guys.  I didn't have much bench time this weekend and ran into a problem.  The shocks mounts didn't have the room I needed on the rear axle.  It needed widening and  with the way I butchered and fabricated the first attempt I just kept the spindles and differential and am trying to add some strength again.  The orange are parts box wheels, now brakes, drilled for 1/8" rod.

gigahorse_002.thumb.JPG.848b26687940eb5e

The diff was drilled a little and rod cut to length and superglued.  Now to fill it back in and shape it and hope everything works.

gigahorse_008.thumb.JPG.60941c412d26be44 

I have shocks from many monster trucks but with the modifications to make them work I thought it might be easier to try to fab some.  I'm using 1/8 tube, .010 strip and a nail for the ram.  It's a bit of a pain but it is very close to the look I'm going for.

gigahorse_004.thumb.JPG.0799ea4853049d8a 

Thanks for looking.  Steve

Edited by Ridge Rider

• 2 weeks later...

Bench time has been lean but i'm making a little progress.  A quick update.  I think the axle will work and have started detailing it as well as making more shock parts.  I will post more pics when they are done.  Thanks for your continued  support. Steve

gigahorse_011.thumb.JPG.5fa0dd4dce6711c6

Edited by Ridge Rider

Looks like you are having a lot of fun with this, and it shows!  Great subject and great craftsmanship.

You mentioned flags in one of your earlier posts...not sure if you were still needing ideas, but using tissue paper and glue mixture might work with giving you realism and flexibility with shaping.  You might have to dig for specifics, but a friend taught me - I only found this online.  Rather than print colors and patterns on white tissue paper (which is what I did), you might even find some tissue paper for a more vibrant needed color.  For what it's worth, I have only attempted a scratch flag one time with tissue paper, and I was really satisfied with the way it came out.

Edited by drsnapper55
clarify - tissue paper (not tissue)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys thanks for following.  I have been making progress but haven't had the serious bench time.  Have I mentioned how tough it is to scale from pictures. Well after building 2 sets of shocks they just looked short so I had to redo them and make them a 1/4 inch longer. The shock body ends up 1 and 1/8" while the reservoir canister is 5/8".  The rams are yet to be glued into the shock or to the axle.  This is just a mock up and the axle is still in progress but this is where I'm at.  Thanks for looking .  Steve

gigahorse_001.thumb.JPG.95abca77964b09cdgigahorse_002.thumb.JPG.1ecf6e665e4db86bgigahorse_003.thumb.JPG.cc211a7b33757a5cgigahorse_005.thumb.JPG.67eec448f93cc110gigahorse_007.thumb.JPG.98cafe7e798e1455

Edited by Ridge Rider

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words.  The rear axle was very time consuming with over a hundred fabricated pieces but I am now calling it done.  Despite all the problems, I think it turned out as nice as the front axle.  Now for the thousand words.

gigahorse_001.thumb.JPG.2544523944730240gigahorse_002.thumb.JPG.dc3d2faac7de7f83gigahorse_004.thumb.JPG.8c6fecaaad103b19gigahorse_005.thumb.JPG.73aa07df696028e8gigahorse_007.thumb.JPG.45b33ad5f8006c08gigahorse_008.thumb.JPG.657c00f5990930f7

Edited by Ridge Rider