Model Cars Magazine Forum

77 AMC Matador: WIP (Photos Restored)

David G.

Time for another update...

As is typical of model kits of this time period, the ride height is a bit too high and the wheel alignment is off.

77Matador19_12.jpg.186510c93d29b40df2ef56944d173969.jpg

Since the spindle shafts were already epoxied in place, I lowered the front by re-drilling the wheel stubs.

77Matador21_12.jpg.c0aa42820cd1aa8f797f9efa01fbfd96.jpg

The rear was lowered by filing the springs shorter.

77Matador22_12.jpg.8a585e0190d52f24dc55984713875991.jpg

This wasn't enough however. The shorter springs allowed differential housing to come into contact with a frame cross member. I ground that down to get the necessary clearance to tuck the axle in a little tighter.

77Matador23_12.jpg.6090d4fd7cf973bd6f9525104da3ff7c.jpg

I'm not sure if the results are worth all the effort, But I think it looks a little better.

77Matador24_12.jpg.7171d83117a417e6172897c916c24da7.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look and as always, feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photo Update

Definitely worth the effort. The stance is miles better. Not a big fan of the AMC cars but this is looking promising. 

Thank you Tony. Sometimes it's difficult to see what you're looking at while you're working on it- if you know what I mean.

David G.

I've been following this build since the beginning (first post). Nice, nice, nice. I love the oddballs too so when I see a post talking about a matador I am all over it. I have a couple of these myself but just have not built one yet. I'm a builder not a collector so I will at some point in time. Just watching this gets me going. Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing this with us.      Jeff

Nice work David on lowering and wheel alignment on your Matador..

Yes, the lowering was worth the effort for sure. Looking good, wish I had one of these kits. 

Thanks guys, I'm glad to know it was worth the extra work- I'm glad you like it.

David G.

Yeah, had an AMT Datsun 280ZX some years ago and I wondered how they really thought considering the ride height? It looked like a jacked up 4x4 before lowering....

Very nice work, I especially like the exhaust manifolds, very realistic rust on them.

Yes, Mattias, most model kits come out a bit too high. It seems that I have to adjust (lower) most of the kits I build.

The manifolds are painted first with Poly Scale flat acrylic rust then dry-brushed with Testors steel enamel. Thanks for the compliment, I like the way they turned out too.

David G.

I've been following this build since the beginning (first post). Nice, nice, nice. I love the oddballs too so when I see a post talking about a matador I am all over it. I have a couple of these myself but just have not built one yet. I'm a builder not a collector so I will at some point in time. Just watching this gets me going. Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing this with us.      Jeff

Thanks for your encouragement Jeff.

I also have an MPC Pacer, but what I'd really like to find is a 77 Hornet hatchback.

David G.

she looks rough but it's a classic old lady car 34K miles i'm 2nd owner. 

MAT1.JPG

MAT3-vi.jpg

Love the "D" spoke wheels on it. With those wheel wells, you can go with 8" wide wheels and give it the stock car look.

Little bit of paint, you could have a street version like this in Sweden...

tumblr_lzn4ojLH5P1qbbs12o1_1280.jpg

Love the "D" spoke wheels on it. With those wheel wells, you can go with 8" wide wheels and give it the stock car look.

Little bit of paint, you could have a street version like this in Sweden...

tumblr_lzn4ojLH5P1qbbs12o1_1280.jpg

I was gonna do the R/W/B paint.....but I may have changed my mind. Not 100% sure now

• David G. changed the title to 77 AMC Matador: WIP (Photos Restored)