Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

New kits post the Revell '29 Model A Roadster

It is clear that this kit is a huge success for Revell and I assume that they know this and are suitably pleased.

What I'm wondering is what effect this may have on future hot rod kit releases, not only by Revell but also all the rest of the manufacturers. Can we look forward to run of similar models to a similar standard but using a different base, such as a '32 or T*, or will this be a one-off?I release they are numerous versions of these ('32 and T) around already but the '29 is a groundbreaker and makes the existing kits (even the re-issues) look a bit ordinary.

What do you think? A sea change in hot rod kits, or just a blip?

steve

* I''m just using these as common examples. It doesn't have be a Ford.

Mike51 - Naturally I am aware of that thread but that is an already announced kit. I'm thinking more long term, beyond things about which we already know.

Could the obvious success of the '29 be a pointer to further kits of similar style or is it just a 'blue moon'?

steve

Edited by Earl Marischal
Grammar

I have to agree with Oldcarfan above...

Substitute a '26-'27 body shell in the current '29 kit (instead of the '29 shell), with slight mods to make it fit, and possibly the already-tooled SBC from the Rat Roaster or one of the Corvettes, or one of the already-tooled flatheads (or better still, the already-tooled Ardun from the '50 Ford truck kit).

Throw in a quick-change rear on a buggy spring, and maybe a good looking track-nose and hood (along with a chopped '32 grille shell). Instant winner.

Might want to get somebody who builds real cars (to get the proportions right) and can do top-notch kitbashing, as well as documenting exactly which engineering mods would be required to get the various bits to work together in a single kit (with minimum re-tooling in mind) to do a little consulting.B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I really wish someone would do an accurate 1/25 scale 34 Ford, along the lines of the new 29 and Revells longstanding 32 series. From what I'm told the Revells 1/16 34 3 window and Tub were really nice, just the wrong scale for most of the market.

The AMT 34 5 window and the Revell snap 3 window are OK, but both have their own accuracy issues. I think a modern tooling full detail 34 would be a welcome addition to somebodies catalog...

I think Bill and Craig make very good points above.  

• To me, a '27T Turtledeck hot rod is the most obvious next extension of the new '29A tool.   Bill Bozgan and I did some exploration on this about nine months ago; the same roadster passenger compartment casting could be used with both a turtledeck and a '27T Roadster Pickup bed option (probably shortened from stock).  They'd need to be tuned for the Channeled version 'Model A Ze'd chassis (this is how many '27 T hot rods were done in the '60's). but would most likely not work with the Deuce frame (in 1/1 it's too wide for a T body unless it is narrowed, which would add an unmanageable level of complexity to the Revell tool).    
  • For an all-new tool, the '33/'34 Ford is just crying for a true full detail hot rod model kit.  The future body derivatives are obvious, as are the employment of both Highboy and Full Fendered versions.  Years ago (actually, more than a decade ago), I tried to get Revell to consider pantographing down the 1/16th '34 Ford kits, which really were well done for the time (except for some funky front end machinations on the HIghboy version).  But I was told this was not possible.  Plus the 1/1 scale design represented by the kits is now, regrettably, way out of date.  It needs a new, fresh effort, executed with the same innovativeness as the '32 Ford series and the new Model A Series.  

Just my two cents worth...>TIM 

I had suggested a '33-'34 here on the board a while ago and was told it wouldn't happen since it's a different chassis than the '32 and a longer wheelbase. I hope we do get them though.  I love the lines of these cars, and the art decco grille shell better than the '32.  Partly because the '32  has gotten too common.  There was a '34 chopped 4 door sedan, beautifully done, on eBay some time ago.  I fell in love with that car!

Personally, I like Revell's focus on early rods and customs just fine, and I hope they continue.  A '26 or '27 T roadster body would be a great addition, perhaps done as a track style rod.

I really liked the custom grille and headlights on the last reissue of the '36 Ford, though the option of a chopped top like the AMT kits would be a nice addition should they ever consider reissuing it, as would a set of Lyons hubcaps, or LaSalle style flippers.

What I'd really like to see has to do more with the accessories that come with the model.  The Deuce grille in the upcoming Model A coupe is a nice option that I would have like to see in the roadster, and it would be nice to see in other T or A based kits.  What I'd really like to see is a set of mid 30s Ford style wire wheels to go with the big and little tires that already appear in a few Revell kits.  They don't have to be in every kit, but they would be a nice option in at least one.