Model Cars Magazine Forum

On the Workbench...Literally!

BDSchindler

So when returning to the hobby 6 months ago after nearly 30 years away from it, I apparently didn't remember the avalanche of hand tools that get used and the chronic searching for tools on a cluttered unorganized workbench or searching through bottles of paint that used to drive me nuts (of which, my wife says is a short drive for me).

I looked at all of the commercially available workbench organizers, tool racks, shelving systems, yadda, yadda, yadda (apologies to Seinfeld) but the cost was...well, it was just sad.

So I went into the garage and grabbed some of the surplus/scrap lumber collecting dust, a healthy handful of drywall screws, palm sander, trim saw and power drill.  With a plan in mind as opposed to paper, set to work...the end result is a wall mount or bench-top 32" wide paint rack that will hold lots of paint and a 32" long tool rack that will hold 100 hand tools (Paint Brushes, knives, files) as well as a section for Glue or whatever.  I only did some light sanding and then some Krylon spray paint since this is for me.  I have 3 friends that have asked me to build one for them.

Total cost...well the lumber was scrap, screws were surplus but seriously...less than $20 total for both including paint plus a couple of hours of labor.

hosed up the pictures...see second post in this thread

Edited by BDSchindler
pictures failed

yeah, i know...working on it...ok, i give up...first attempt at posting pictures here.  setup a picture and it just clocks time...

http://www.pbase.com/124parkdrive/image/161661731/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/124parkdrive/image/161661740/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/124parkdrive/image/161661735/large.jpg

Edited by BDSchindler
updated pictures

Good work on the shelving/organizers!  I made my own years ago and feel it's a great way to end up with exactly what you need.  I looked and looked for something commercially available but they were not only too expensive but just never seemed to fit my needs in my shop.

Thanks for sharing.

Good work on the shelving/organizers!  I made my own years ago and feel it's a great way to end up with exactly what you need.  I looked and looked for something commercially available but they were not only too expensive but just never seemed to fit my needs in my shop.

Thanks for sharing.

That was exactly what I thought.  I found one that was great.  Modular but huge with a huge price to match it's size.

Superb work!

May well copy, if that's okay with you.

steve 

By all means, copy away!  Thanks for the help on the pictures, JC.  Not sure what happened there...I've posted pictures on other boards with no issues.

Pretty simple really, would have been easier with a drill press.  Wood is 1X3 pine (cheap), 1/4" Plywood for the backing, 3/8" hole bore and a 3/8" countersink.

yeah, i know...working on it...ok, i give up...first attempt at posting pictures here.  setup a picture and it just clocks time...

http://www.pbase.com/124parkdrive/image/161661731/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/124parkdrive/image/161661740/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/124parkdrive/image/161661735/large.jpg

NIICE work on the organizer! BUT oneword to you the area you plan to "stand" your paint brushes, BE SURE to make a cover to go over the tops, the dust will settle in them, AND when used be in your paint, both on the model, AND the jar you dipped it into......

Word of the wise, I had that VERY issue so..... I'm speaking from experience!

NIICE work on the organizer! BUT oneword to you the area you plan to "stand" your paint brushes, BE SURE to make a cover to go over the tops, the dust will settle in them, AND when used be in your paint, both on the model, AND the jar you dipped it into......

Word of the wise, I had that VERY issue so..... I'm speaking from experience!

duly noted...makes sense too.  Currently, I keep all of the brushes in a long plastic airtight box like a pencil box.  I just got them out to demo for the photo.

Thanks to everyone.  Now if I can just get this room setup the way I want it, I can get back to doing what I want to do.

This is my former "Racing Room" that for 10 years housed a 1/32nd scale slot car track that was fully landscaped and lit. 

160599103.W70Qq2dL.image2.thumb.jpeg.1a4160599106.2DyBU06N.image4.thumb.jpeg.873160599107.bzNqqpBL.image5.thumb.jpeg.6fa160599113.AFEbtgsZ.image8.thumb.jpeg.0d1

it was 120' of Carrera Racing surface that for many years, brought a lot of fun to my son and I.  Over the last 4 years, I can count on one hand how many times we've used it.  It got to the point that more things were being placed on top than anything else.  We needed some extra storage space and since my son is now a freshman in college and rarely home, well it was time to take it down.  Part of this room was also used as a photo booth for pictures of higher end diecast cars and assorted vehicles from when I wrote for Toy Cars and Models Magazine as well as the poorly managed The Car Room Magazine (yes, those are diecast on the wall).  Honestly, I think I had more fun detailing the track than racing on it (note: that is real dirt for the shoulders mixed with a heavy amount of thinned out elmer's and spooned along the sides of the track.  it took nearly 2 weeks to fully dry.

Edited by BDSchindler

WHOA! THATS niice!!!!!! You'd do VERY well in doing Diorama's to say the very least!

This still together?

Not anymore, I may do another one at some point. The tables (4 of them 4' X 6.5') were repurposed for storage shelves that among other items like the 9 totes of race track and household stuff, now have the boxes from the Diecast samples sent to me by manufactures to review for magazines (about 300 that I kept, the rest were given away or donated). That gave me room for the desk, paint booth and various power tools.

Edited by BDSchindler

• 4 weeks later...