Model Cars Magazine Forum

'55 gasser

echo

This is a car I started years ago, sat unfinished for ages and I finally worked on it in earnest. Of the tri five Chevys, the '55 is my favorite. As a youth there seemed to be many hot rodded '55s tooling around the area I grew up in. A close friend had a jacked up blue '55 that probably influenced the color on my model. A lot of the features on the model are based on a '55 gasser named "Tobasco" that was featured in the April 1967 Hot Rod issue. The model has an AMT Bel Air body that had all the Bel Air trim removed. The frame is a Revell '55.  From the firewall forward the frame is scratch built.   The straight axle is also scratch built.  The interior has been stripped of most of it's pieces. As with all models some things worked out better than others and it has a numbers of issues but on the whole I'm happy with it. Comments are welcome, Thanks for looking.  Ed

55 Gasser 001 small.JPG

55 Gasser 007 small.JPG

55 Gasser 008 small.JPG

55 Gasser 009 small.JPG

55 Gasser 011 small.JPG

55 Gasser 012 small.JPG

55 Gasser 018 small.JPG

55 Gasser 020 small.JPG

55 Gasser 022 small.JPG

Man, that looks good!!! I've built and seen ALOT of 55 gassers, but most of them didn't have"the look". Its that certain quality about a build that you can't quite put your finger on, but you know its there with so many great period details. You did your homework!! This 55 definitely has "THE LOOK"!!!  Great job!!B):wub:

Edited by bismarck

First of all thanks for all of you looking and especially those of you who took the time to comment.

The grill started out as the AMT '55 Bel Air grill, my first idea was to sand away the back to make it see through however the kits plastic mesh was too shallow and came apart, perhaps someone with better skills could have had success. I removed the center of the grill leaving the raised surround, I had a Model Car garage photo etch '55 Chevy detail set which included a grill, however it was for a Revell kit. The fit was close , not perfect but when I epoxied the mesh to the grill surround and filed away a tiny bit of overhanging photo etch it looked and fit o.k.

Thanks again for the positive comments.          Ed

• 2 years later...
On 10/28/2015 at 3:19 PM, echo said:

This is a car I started years ago, sat unfinished for ages and I finally worked on it in earnest. Of the tri five Chevys, the '55 is my favorite. As a youth there seemed to be many hot rodded '55s tooling around the area I grew up in. A close friend had a jacked up blue '55 that probably influenced the color on my model. A lot of the features on the model are based on a '55 gasser named "Tobasco" that was featured in the April 1967 Hot Rod issue. The model has an AMT Bel Air body that had all the Bel Air trim removed. The frame is a Revell '55.  From the firewall forward the frame is scratch built.   The straight axle is also scratch built.  The interior has been stripped of most of it's pieces. As with all models some things worked out better than others and it has a numbers of issues but on the whole I'm happy with it. Comments are welcome, Thanks for looking.  Ed

55 Gasser 001 small.JPG

55 Gasser 007 small.JPG

55 Gasser 008 small.JPG

55 Gasser 009 small.JPG

55 Gasser 011 small.JPG

55 Gasser 012 small.JPG

55 Gasser 018 small.JPG

55 Gasser 020 small.JPG

55 Gasser 022 small.JPG

out standing build MORE