Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Petty Dodge Dart kit car

FordRodnKustom

Man, that is one STOUT rear axle in that thing! Are the tyres the smooth, treadless knid? It's hard for me to tell from the Pic.

Great Pics, Ron! This scratches this one off the list of kits I'd like to purchase. There is no problem with that, however. It just frees up more $$$ for other kits I want.

Thanks, Alan

Man, that is one STOUT rear axle in that thing! Are the tyres the smooth, treadless knid? It's hard for me to tell from the Pic.

Great Pics, Ron! This scratches this one off the list of kits I'd like to purchase. There is no problem with that, however. It just frees up more $$$ for other kits I want.

Thanks, Alan

Yes, they are treadless, slick type racing tires.

That LA-Series engine certainly appears to be nicer than the stock 318--340-360 that the vans , Duster / Demon / Dart Sport , etc. , engines ! I realise that it's representative of the 355 cube Direct Connection "R" small block , but at least the base block & heads look nice .

Not sure what diff / housing that is supposed to represent ... Not a Dana nor is it the Chrysler 8 3/4 . any ideas ?

I'll most likely grab one of these kits for its parts contents !

There are alot of things to like about this kit, and a few to be aware of when building it.  Others have previously-posted/discussed their thoughts that the overall engine is scaled alittle bit too small for being a 355-CI Mopar "R" small block, but in my opinion, once it's built-up, it looks pretty good.  My biggest concern with this kit is the track of the front wheels if built using all of the kit's front suspension and wheel pieces.  Using the kit's pieces, the 2 front tires will stick-out a long, long ways from underneath the front fenders; unrealistically wide in my opinion. Correcting this wide-track condition by modifying the kit pieces looks to me like an extensive undertaking, so my plan was to swap-out the 2 front inner wheel pieces with 2 from a mid-1990's AMT/Ertl Nascar kit as these inner wheel piece's mounting-point is much deeper inside the wheel, thus, pulling-in the width of the 2 front tires once finally assembled.

The original release of this kit was heavily-based on an actual, 1:1 Chrysler Kit Car and does a really good job of looking like the real thing once completed.

There are alot of things to like about this kit, and a few to be aware of when building it.  Others have previously-posted/discussed their thoughts that the overall engine is scaled alittle bit too small for being a 355-CI Mopar "R" small block, but in my opinion, once it's built-up, it looks pretty good.  My biggest concern with this kit is the track of the front wheels if built using all of the kit's front suspension and wheel pieces.  Using the kit's pieces, the 2 front tires will stick-out a long, long ways from underneath the front fenders; unrealistically wide in my opinion. Correcting this wide-track condition by modifying the kit pieces looks to me like an extensive undertaking, so my plan was to swap-out the 2 front inner wheel pieces with 2 from a mid-1990's AMT/Ertl Nascar kit as these inner wheel piece's mounting-point is much deeper inside the wheel, thus, pulling-in the width of the 2 front tires once finally assembled.

The original release of this kit was heavily-based on an actual, 1:1 Chrysler Kit Car and does a really good job of looking like the real thing once completed.

Thanks for that building tip! I didn't know that and I'll keep an eye out for that flaw when I'm building mine.

• 1 month later...

Sadly, I'm not sure the engine in this one comes even close to an LA small block. the oil filter impression is missing, and the valve covers, NOT to sure what they truely look like from the kit, but they don't look like no LA valve cover I've ever seen (I know the 355 were different) but how much different? Weren't they just an over bored 318 or 340? I don't think they had enough lower end "roll" to be stroked to heavily.

ANYWAY, I'm on this on to see if its something I'd want for parts, I'd LOVE to get a good pic of the hood and grille!

Now to state the obvious, to me, the best Mopar small block model yet, has to go to the AMT '71 Plymouth Duster 340.... That car (I own 2 of those models) has an awesomely detailed "340" in it, BUT as a model would suffice to be anything from a 318 to a 360. that were the "LA" class motors from Mopar. AND if done right, you can add a 2 barrel intake, a 4 barrel intake or a 6 pack intake! -Unless I can see better detail revealing pics, I'd buy one of these kits for mere parts.... Not sure I'd go to build it....

Sadly, I'm not sure the engine in this one comes even close to an LA small block. the oil filter impression is missing, and the valve covers, NOT to sure what they truely look like from the kit, but they don't look like no LA valve cover I've ever seen (I know the 355 were different) but how much different? Weren't they just an over bored 318 or 340? I don't think they had enough lower end "roll" to be stroked to heavily.

ANYWAY, I'm on this on to see if its something I'd want for parts, I'd LOVE to get a good pic of the hood and grille!

Now to state the obvious, to me, the best Mopar small block model yet, has to go to the AMT '71 Plymouth Duster 340.... That car (I own 2 of those models) has an awesomely detailed "340" in it, BUT as a model would suffice to be anything from a 318 to a 360. that were the "LA" class motors from Mopar. AND if done right, you can add a 2 barrel intake, a 4 barrel intake or a 6 pack intake! -Unless I can see better detail revealing pics, I'd buy one of these kits for mere parts.... Not sure I'd go to build it....

Trying to duplicate the 273 in my 1:1 66 Barracuda. So far I plan to use the AMT Duster 340 . Sound about right ?

This was released in one incarnation as a Demon, I was digging through a box I had of some of the original kits I had that hadn't been finished and found two different front bumper grille assemblies, and it's supposed to be an 8 3/4"  rear axle, but all the ones I saw in the real world had quick change rear ends, the best one for that is the one in the original AMT NASCAR truck kits. On the whole, they're actually a very accurate kit, the only sad thing is they never released one with the Challenger body option, there is an article in the old Stock Car Magazine on the development of the real car showing one of the test cars, a number 0 Challenger, it driven in the asphalt testing by Pete Hamilton, and on dirt by a new comer, an upcoming young driver named Dale Earnhardt, he wasn't a Sr. yet, and in a single car test somehow managed to bend up the front fenders on the new car.

Like 70 Grande said, watch the front end of this car as the front tires stick out way too far and if I recall right they are not centered in the wheel opening(too far back I believe). The engine is a generic motors piece. IMHO the body is about the nicest piece in the kit. Good luck;).

Edited by asfastasu

I plan to purchase a couple of copies of this kit. Are there pictures of other racers who used this platform? I haven't found any yet. Also, I am thinking of using one as the basis for a Nova sportsman on the order of Dale Earnhart's old racer. Suspension and engine would probably be different, but would it otherwise be viable?

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

I see that the new decal sheet allows the builder to construct either the #43 car or Joe Milikan's #04 that ran out of the Petty shops 'back in the day".

Joe Miliken-Petty kit car.jpg

The #43 car with Richard driving ran ONCE!! Joe ran the #04 car most of that season.  The #43 was mainly a PR move to get people to buy the kit cars!

I'm in the midst of building one of these and am confused as to the correct placement of the upper A arms.There are 3 notches on one side of the frame,one notch on the other side and nothing on the arms matches up to any of the notches.Do I assemble the front suspension from the bottom up and determine the placement that way or do something else?Hints,please.