Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rat Rod Community Build

Pat Minarick

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I've got a new idea. I'm gonna drag some kits out tomorrow and see how how everything fits. 

I think I'm going to combine a couple of builds that I've lost interest in and come up with something new. More soon.

Edited by Jantrix

For my first entry, I'm going to use a Jimmy Flintstone Chopped Model A body on the Revell '31 Ford Sedan chassis.  I'll be addding parts from my pasts box along the way.  The engine will be a flathead parts bash.  Not sure yet about the final color,  flat red maybe......

revell-1931-ford-model-a-sedan-hot-rod-2s-l300.jpg

Edited by Intmd8r

Got a little more done over the weekend....

photo image_zpsk6atcjei.jpeg photo image_zpsmh7bqpmo.jpeg

Got some body work done.  Roof cut open, louvered trunk grafted on, body in primer...

photo image_zpsoffgczvr.jpeg

Another mock up....

photo image_zpsfyhm8ri9.jpeg

Should be done this week!  Just a little more work to be done;)

Edited by Intmd8r

I have a couple of possibles that might get done as rats...but I HATE the term being applied to a well-thought-out, well-constructed car.

A "rat" to me is usually rusty junk, poorly engineered, with nasty fabrication and minimal, often unsafe functionality.

A well-constructed car, even if it has wild proportions and is intended to be intimidating and anti-social, is STILL a traditional 'rod...to me. (Your opinion may vary) :D

Cars like these were built in the post-war days, LONG before the term "rat rod" became the me-too me-too term it is today.

Image result for ace-garageguy phonebooth t                         Image result for ace-garageguy phonebooth t         

DSCN4227.jpg

26%20ford%202%20014_zpshiupprlj.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Just came across this thread...I have a rat rod to join in on the fun.

I built this for the NNL West this year, "Rat Rods" was the 2nd theme for the show.

I picked the glue-bomb up at Oakie Al's swap meet and model car contest in Merced, CA.

The model brought home the "Hottest Hot Rod" award from the Model Car Contest at the Santa Maria Custom Car Show this past weekend