Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 charger gasser , final assembly

crazyrichard

started making a waterpump , the pullys , powersteering stuff

used these .. but i have much more hemi pictures .. a lot look slightly different because they have been altered

bare with the waterpump

one with the pullys

WORK ON THESE PICS IS ALL VERY ROUGH WORK .. NEEDS CLEANING , PRIMER ETC ..

started by making a waterpump .. most wont be visible with everything in place so .. i make like the circle with the pipe going down sideways ad the other hose connection on top

the kit engine also was a glue bomb all wasted .. now the kit provided a second pully and belt system .. one was all busted on the engine and this one was still in the sprue .. now it looks like the one on the pic above exept the thing on top .. (what is that?)

saw different powersteering reservoirs .. so i didnt make it round but just square , still a rough version

complete set up so far , on the empty pully will sit the alternator with a bracket connected to the engine

dryfit .. fits nice , the front of the frame with the holes will be changed ...

yes it does :) .. the alternator is on the engine with a bracket the pulley slides on that .. tis seemed the best way to get it on level and lined up ..

also sprayed it with some primer .. when its dry i will post some pics

and yes could be a a/c ..hmm dont need that :)

out the alternator on the engine with a bracket , later i will paint it chrome .. now the pulley sits on it perfect , this was the best fitment / alignement option..

also primered it all the waterpump looks nice now

made the breathers on the covers ... tiny stuff lol , the tops are actually tear drop revell taillights (clear red styrene)

puleys and powersteering tank primered

all together

belt and pulleys are painted , added the correct fan , luckely i fund a nice one in my engine parts box .. wich also had the blades in  angle

all losse dryfitted , the alternator shaft and pulley is painted in a bronze color , later i will give it a drybrush with gold to mimick the gold-ish color

front hight .. i didnt want it way up in the air , for a charger wich is quite long that looked weird . still pretty high .. rear is just sitting on the tyres , need to start on the rear axle and suspension

i'm in doubt .. should i make the rear wells round .. to fit the tyre shape .. as you often see done on gassers or keep the stock shape ...

peeking onder its skirt   :lol:

together with the 69 charger on airride i did earlyer .. now i think i should have just kept it low nd not totally slammed but at the time i loved it

So far so good Rich! Build'n 'er up just like a real motor.

thnx ! and yes that the goal .. now the next item will be the 4 barrel carb .. will do some research later today and try and make a nice beefy carb set up with all the connections .

already found some great looking 4 barrel carbs .. and already saw the one i have is like way to small hight wise .. so i will scratch build the lower part ...

alos kind of stuck now since i dont have orange paint for the block .. i'm tempted to spray it red ... but i think it just needs orange right ?

Edited by crazyrichard

Richard, really like your project. I don't know if you decided but i like this idea you posted..1 : keep going like this and just make a serious shiny gasser.

thnx carl ! and well yes it wont be apocaliptic .. or real ratty .. the idea is to keep it more shiney ... but i hope to give it a vintage feel / look .....

it turned into a lot of work and at this point it would be a shame to put on stupid things ....i might do the body a bit weathered , like rubber spry on the rear quarters ... more like its been raced and used i guess ?

this is turning into the most detailed engine i ever build :) .... started on the carb .. and i decided to scratch build it ...looked at a ton of carbs and decided to make a single crb , a large version ... tryed to mimick it as nice as possible .. now the size is a restriction off course so are my hudge hands ...lol

started like this >

till this , used several drill bits to get a conical shape , even the top ring is made out of square plastic ...

gued some chrome beads in the holes

now its very rough in this picture , needed sanding etc.. but on the foreground you see the spring i made using tiny steel wire wrapped around a pin

after the pic below i altered the spring a bit . so it sits a tad closer against the body of the carb ...

dryfit with the other parts

at first i was woryed that the spring was too big .. but in the end after some tweaking i think i can get away with it .. i should have used the steel pins without the round head on ..

Atta boi cheecho!!! Keep it rollin bud! Your throttle return spring looks great!!! I've tried this a couple of times and mine always look like junk! I switched over to light bulb filaments robbed from 1:1 scale 3157 turn signal bulbs....

well those look great joe and i love your linkage .. i now have to make a moving part and a cable .... still need to look at several pics how i will make that exactly ...just winged it a bit on the spring ...

i did spray the intake and carb with chrome , did the vale covers and master brake cilinder as well ..

now parts of the carb will get some gold over the chrome same as the master brake cilinder ..

also inside the carb bowl in the holes i will put some cool small round bars , hope to paint those transparent red ....spring is off i wont paint that .. i think the clor of the mterial itself is more convinsing then my spray chrome , also gives a bit variety in tones

thnx james , well lots of people have asked me what that is .. its only available here in holland .. its just a big rattle can from a diy store called gamma ..

its their own brand rattle cans ... here in holland modelbuilders call it "gamma chrome" not how its called for real...

it sys its silver metallic .. but it turns out like this ....not real chrome .. not silver its a bit in betwene ...

its handy because you have a hudge can , always ready for spraying ... its sprays without any wrinkles .. this stuff > you can not spray wrong , the worst person thinkable could not screw this up .. weirdly you can spray it very thick also

thnx guys !

and fred , looks great the dominator carb .. when your scartchbuilding its hard to decide on the exact shape / form etc , mine isnt done i will glue in 4 pipes in the hole and give it some colordetail

and thomas , yes more then i was planning , especially since i got this charger as a glue-bomb .. in the end it turned into a big project ..

and when the engine is done , i still need to make a steeringbox , linkage , brakelines .....then the underside needs work , rear end like axle and suspension..

not to mention the interiour needs to be scratchbuild ....

luckely i still have enough work , really enjoying this build .. i dont think i would have started a gasser project if i didnt get this glue bomb .. i tend to go more towards rods and custom rides ... this one shows me a more racy build is way cool ...already thinking about a streetrace car in the future .. bigblock turbo maybe ??

Edited by crazyrichard

Just a suggestion, make the float bowls a bit larger and your carburator would look more realistic.

yes well t first i did but that seemid a bit to larger at the time .. i will take a look and try to see if i can add some more ..

Edited by crazyrichard

went right at it .. note they can be sanded / filed more in a shape when the glue is dry ..

now on the front i will glue a piece under the small one , needed that to get level .. but start is there .. and much apriciated !! i'd rather put in more time and get it looking better ..

tbh i was thinking people would say it was to big with float bowls like that .. i saw some weird carbs where they where very small so i ended up with what i showed ... just kind of winged it on the carb , like look at a lot of carbs and then just build something .. not really build from a certain pic ..

bit od sanding corners a tad squared .. and some chrome

now i also need to make a throttle cable , arm next to the spring , 4 pipes in the holes ... fuel line ...

hakan .. what do you think about doing the carb itself in a gold color ? maybe it would break all the chrome  a bit ?

I depends on what carburator type it's supposed to look like, the Holley 4150 series( 650-750) and 4500 series (Dominator) carbs has quite large float bowls sticking out front and back, but the 4160 series has smaller, other carburator manufacturers like Rochester and Carter has a different look as they are built different.
Many Holley carbs are in a goldish color so why not.

thnx tony

painted it gold , i tried to give it more of a gold haze so it would be between silver and gold.. man that didnt work :(  so now its gold  , added the first small details pipes in the holes ..next i want to make the throttle with cable next to the spring i already put on ....>

Edited by crazyrichard