Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 charger gasser , final assembly

crazyrichard

because this ws a glue bomb and i had to cut out the glue infested windscreen .. i lost the moldings around the window opening ..

used brass wire from a  roll straighten-ed and sanded that  bended it into shape ... and glued it on ...

now its round and to thick but the great thing is its brass and pretty soft so by filing nd sanding i can make it real flat and file and sand a flat surface like the charger has ....

so on these pics its just glued on i'm half way there with flatning the molding when thats done i will post pics

85e0627fc9b08e5113bab939481a0f90.jpg

d8e30fcad1ad71cea73f531b5c27bae5.jpg

fba601ea6f7c96f709b869c5158fb4c1.jpg

oh and cool thing is the a pillars where so thing now with the molding the whole roof and a pillars got its strength back

Edited by crazyrichard

If you have not yet decided for sure on an engine, what about the engine out of the "Christene" Plymouth Pro Mod that Revell did?

no this hemi is going in .. it fits the theme and the car and i love it :), was the best engine i could think off atm ...

also i build this engine specially for this car , used a block , the valve covers and some stuff i had in my partsboxes

it will be more a oldskool gasser .. that will show later on in the details and all ... i do want to make something even wilder and pro mod style in the future ..

but i looked up the kit you mentioned and it looks cool

also i'm not one who really buys stuff especially for a project .. never do aftermarket parts or buy something especially for a part for a build ..

look t it this way i never build with a set plan .. more a general idea .. this started as a bad glue bomb and i wanted to go apocatiptic vehicle with this .. that turned into apocaliptic gasser and now just normal gasser ...

i can never say this i will build , try to use the weirdest stuff and my luck is i have a big stash of parts , wheels , tyres , few engines and mic. stuff and bodys ..

thats also the way i like to build just take a kit . or partial kit and just build and see where i end up with

Great progress Richard. Nice touch on making the windshield trim out of brass wire..

thnx !

Nice touches to the rear of the car regarding tub cut outs and tubs. That's also a neat idea for the window trim.

thnx !

Edited by crazyrichard

Loving this build! I have a charger in my stash that I just can't get any motivation for.The way this is coming together is fantastic.

thnx !!

i did just make driprails and rough filed them in shape , again used the brass wire .. but i have the flue so for now i will crawl back under my blancket :)

just found some energy to make the lower part of the side moldings ...

now the doorpanels are also broken .. i hope to save the upper molding and make that inside so behind the side molding it runs through like the real charger ..

and aalso leave room where glass can go up and down , the revell kit does not have glass but weirdly the interiour panels sit flush against the door and side of the body .. weird ..

maybe i'll even make the rear and side windows myself ... and the small door windows .. >>??

finally got the rear window out .. man the previous "builder" used so much strong glue .. after i finally got the glass out i letterly had to file the inside of the roof for like 5 minutes .. it was like a styrene surface of the moon inside along the edge ..

now the opening is a tad larger now  can make a brass molding ... i hope to make it out of 2 pieces , start with a bottom edge and make one piece with 2 bends ...should fit snug inside if i bend it right ...

glass is a thing on its own , fot the rear window i can use material i have that is cutable and flexible and never splinters .. simple flat piece of glass , maybe also make the side windows ?

front window .. i have one cut out of a windscreen out of my partsbox that was too large .. that fits 95% correct .. only in the top corners there is a tiny gap .. and not a real contact edge to glue .. so i want to come up with a system where i put in the glass from behind and then fix it by glueing a strip inside to fix it tight

rear molding is done , was the hardest one due to the shape and the fact its partially sunken ..

on the rear i made a pannelline from side to side that runs trhough the  "spoiler" did that because i cleaned the rer and shaved the bumpers and molded them into the body .. it was too smooth and the line now breaks it a bit , it runs through into the side panels .. just something custom

because the stock interiour was not savable i had to make something , strted work on a custom rear inside , closed it runing over in a parcel shelf .. it all fits perfect under the window

still plain and rough , seems bulky but when the seats are in and detailed and a roll cage you'll see it not that big , in fact it gos towards the front seats a bot more then the normal rear seat and shelf set up .. but not that much bigger

this would be awsome with hoses an wiring and maybe even a filler tube / neck to the gass cap .. one problem i would def. have to cut out the stock tank and at this point i cant really get to those seams anymore ...so ....grrrr

hi , i really could use some help / opinions !!!

usually i never doubt stuff .. in this case i'm kind of stuck ..

i have to choose seats because those dictate the interiour style .. so it would be either racy and dragstrip only or inbetween a normal interiour and race and more like just streetlegal ....

my first idea where real thick and formed seats ... they are actually musscle car seats , dont know what kit they where from exactly .., now the carger is big and i have perfect seats but they all look too small , they are more fitted for like a 32 ford size wise ...

so these i cut up , removerd the headrests and bondo-ed , primered and gave them a coat of kaky army paint .. the army paint fills so its not like they have to be that color .. maybe its too classy for a gasser ...

if i will use there i want to make knobs and levers and a frame ...

i love the seats above but i'm in doubt if they fit the gasser theme .. then i have this seat below ...i only have one so with this i would go more bare interiour with no passenger seat and maybe like a fire extinquiser on the floor and dragstrip only

i have these high ones .. could fit great , on the pics they dont have the back's on so that will be thicker if i use them

i also have these , smaller more room to position them , will sit a tad higher and then a frame also

all the options together

so in your opinion(s) what do you like most ???

I like the last ones....they look lighter still look racy.

you men on the last pic with all the seats the set on the right ? like the small low seats ?

i just worked on the higher smaller seats , used white backs on the black set .. black i only had the seats and white only backs .. so its a marridge :)

sanded them and scribed the lines deeper

i think this looks great in the charger !

deeper seams > the righ one need work on the seam between seat and back

finally started the rest of the interiour , building a custom tub  ..

its all made out of hard plastic from window blinds , incl the round edges .. those re on the sides of window blinds and can be cut of .

started on rough base side panels where i can build some design on

all flows nice into eitch other

complete tub here with the thick seats

now i could see these fit the best , will get a rollcage , enough room with these and the style fits