Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 charger gasser , final assembly

crazyrichard

Just read your thread!!!  I love the cool idea for seat upholstery and all the detail your putting into it.  I love the gasser direction you're going and can't wait to see more!!!  Great job!!!:)

I thought I was checking here more often, but apparently not. Sorry, my bad.

Love, love, love what you did on the drive shaft. The decal is a nice touch too. Only because I am retentive beyond control or belief, I would move it so it's not obscured by the cross member. Again, just me. I'd still give it a check mark on my judging sheet.

The helmet is a true thing of beauty Richard. Again, another check mark for adding the visor.

Finally, what Gene said. COLOR!!!!!!!!

thnx guys ... :) and yes color pffft its time isnt it ... again i need to go ..get some in ... 2 weeks ?

and the driveshaft decal , purposly put it on the axle side its actually not really obscured might be the shot .. in the middle or forther forward looks weird .. you know like sometimes y just think naaahhhh : hahaha

started a cover on the bottom of the trans ... i didnt like the paint and i didnt have the cover that should go on there ..the whole engine is build of misc. parts and a lot of scratching

i wanted to make something out of real material , no paint .. to match the other parts on the chassis ...

yesterday in my truck (bigrig) i was stapeling receipts together .. and i got the idea to use staples because they are ribbed (cooling)

they where copper color but after a sand and some filing they went silver , hardest part was to get the sides lower , staples are rockhard and not easy to cut .. come loose from eitch other fairly easy ..

so i glued some plastic card on the inside to hold them together .. made it sit a bit higher then i wanted but ...

so i build up everything on the trans .. first the staples then a piece of molded aluminium

6a7017a43bc9038a05ea4099f9fe50a8.jpg

65b5b4e4a1fe91b1bf1d474fe0e9cb0f.jpg

f07d984f42620830dd8c96fc7bab2f65.jpg

closed the front with a alu panel and added side panels to make it less staple like ..

c98ced7860c668607761a36bc82d84ae.jpg

with a lot of patience made a piece to close the gap on the engine side

28f1431239dd5c958b4825208d5850b3.jpg

7dc958b6053168c0af147d9d1b899705.jpg

after some sanding and filing put in the engine and driveshaft (final mount) cover will get some more detail later and some clear coat

cd9317250d9a3a1428d8ad7d00a1dcba.jpg

hemi finally in

2d7086555913a4fcddc202be401403c2.jpg

fuellines attached

cedbaf73665b20836e9357efc73b007b.jpg

Edited by crazyrichard

i need to be patience bob if i really want a cool metallic paint and waight 2 weeks when i have time to go to the modelstore ... usually i can go on a saturday but lately it didnt have time to go on a saturday , i could have ordered online but i want to go to the store and browes all the cool stuff ans soak up the atmosphere .. its still so much fun to go trough a store .. looks and see .. online is so easy you can buy what you want when you want but i still like the feel of a store :)

Hi Richard,

The chassis is looking AWESOME!!!!      I have been a fan of your work but this one is really setting the bar at a new level.

Keep it going my friend.

Randy

thnx a lot and randy there are a few guys here and you are one of them that inspire others .. also eery build you kind of grow and i'm just at the first step of the ladder on discovering that real materials like copper and brass and aluminium beats styrene it just shows when you use these parts ..

now i still never bought materials i'm kind of like a miniature material hoarder every day i look for stuff i can use in moddeling and tbh i have fun using the odd materials .. i know i could build even better if i had a ton of fresh bought material .. i do want to ggo and buy some brass stuff in the future maybe in a few weeks ... but i also enjoy the use of as much scrap and found / odd materials as possible :)

but coming from you its a great compliment :)

i just alsmost finished everything but the body , added rear brakes and flexible brakelines , steering rod (made the middle section of steel) mounted the wheels .. only needs brakelines to the wheels in front and a steering rod from the front to the steering wheel (hole is already in the firewal)

43994eea4343c95171eacb21b8478380.jpg

8bd297961d70cbabf3b42ba3ac37ae94.jpg

326e75a96a3ef85507c59a7e1622819d.jpg

one thing went a tad bad .. the center on the rear wheels got a bit affected by superglue , thise rims and tyres weigh a lot so i needed them fixed quick otherwise they would sag and get weird camber .. now i painted the center circles black .. not real happy with that .. so i might add mini hub caps in the middle sections ...

also not real visible by eye but i know its there the rims are red styrene with chrome and witth handeling some tiny ridges weared and show a tiny bit of red through the chrome .. now i mounted the rims so that sits up and isnt really visible .. again when i look normal i cant really see it real obvious when i looks very close i can find some small eareas where the red shows a bit mostly on the edges

i learned a lot of new ways and tricks on this build ...so from now on all my builds need to be like this taking all the time in the world and making sure to hang in and make avery detail possible .. cant think of anything i really left out on this one ...

Edited by crazyrichard

just desided to hack up 2 rims to use the centers for my rims ... drilled my rim center flat and roughly hacked out the new centers of the rims ..

really flattened and made the flat surface of the new centers way thinner so they sit flush in the center of the rim

looks great , for the front rims i will make a tiny cap for the center over the center hole

also tckled the wear on sme spots with some chrome silver paint

loose testfit of the doorpanels , i now have to try and decide if i c glue them on or need to find a nother way , this because the charger body is so tight to fit on .. i might hae to make the doorpanels fixed on the body

the chrme cage reflects cool in the alu doorpanels

The chassis just keeps looking better and better! Most non builders just don't understand the patience it takes for the small details like the fittings on the brakes. But very worth the agro when it's done! You're doing a fabulous job on this one Rich!

haha we where posting at the same time , i put a update in :)

thnx wayne !! and yes it does take patience and sometimes a lot of grrrrr's .. but in the end its just soo cool to do :)

on the front brakes i forgot to glue in the brakelines and glued on the wheels .. then i needed too wiggle the wire in with tweezers and glue it .. that was grrrr hahaha

in the end i kind of put in everything a real car has .... it takes time and effort but its def. worth sticking with it and doing all the details ..

funny a while back .. few years i thought it was impossible to do such details in this scale hahaha.. and from now on i hope it can only get better and even more realistic

Edited by crazyrichard

thnx !

today i decided to make the lugnuts black , all the chrome on chrome made it look unrealistic now it pops and you really see the lugnuts

cc2705a37386d289efb63b7a48274446.jpg

534fd69d0ced71a9a512b0a47d4b5b84.jpg

then made hip seat belts , looked at a lot of gasser pics and most had simple hip belts , also i cant put a 4-point harnas on these seats the back and headrest earea are not suited for that

67f367b6dde05c5dbc2242ea502ac4d7.jpg

i actually cut a  section out of some real ugly styrene harnasses i still had .. i really sanded them thinner and redid the catch / lock in the middel , made a rigde with a drilled hole and put in a chrome flat head needle pin so it realy has a push button in there

2edfd86163069ce77f3bbfa90c35945f.jpg

8d0b6367568f88fbb00548d56d7dc648.jpg

1841bc73a2dd5e2f6454c6f80cea24ad.jpg

d0a7e6f6861eccc2db29acb73fb327a4.jpg

Edited by crazyrichard

thnx guys !!! much apriciated

Richard, I think you crossed over into another realm with the trans cover, magnificent work! The way you have used metals on the chassis really adds a degree of realism and depth, but , doesn't overpower the rest of the chassis.  

thnx nd yes in a way it needed to be balanced , like the trans didnt look right in painted styrene , just kept looking a tad fake .. i just started using metal materials on car builds on my previous cobra build where i made a real alu dash and doorpanels etc .. and now on this one .. its just great to use it and some things just look way better indeed ... i hope to expand the use of metal materials in the futute .. i still want to start soldering ... just need to find and buy a good soldering station and a good how to on what material is best to use for melting and at what temperatures ... i believe i have a book lying around about soldering :)

gave the body and front a last sand this morning , degreased and put some primer on , looks good in one solid tone and color , the brass moldings came out great !

now for the first time the rear design shows , i smoothened the rear bumper without corners and sitting recessed in there , also went custom on the small spoiler shape on the trunk and made a pannelline over the whole width of the car making it look like a small spoiler mounted onto the rear , this will also look great with the stripe over the trunk ..

front looks great but where i put in time on making the front fenders and hood one piece on the earea next to the scoop the front section still needs work , weird without primer that eara looked fine now its obvious that needs work to really make it one piece and flat ..bit of smoothing and a coat of primer will fix that