Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 charger gasser , final assembly

crazyrichard

went on with the float , drilled the hole bigger and glued in a aircraft wheel ...

then made the base of the pump with brass and aluminium tubing

made a copper baseplate for the pump that could be welded on somewhere and then made tiny copper straps

brass in the float center

made holes for electric wiring and tiny brass wire

glued in now because after paint i cant get them glued without making a mess

where the witing gos into the float that needs to be cleaned up

all together ery rough to get an idea ... also shows the size better then on the close ups , it seemd bog and rougher on pics above these show it how it looks irl

went on with the float , drilled the hole bigger and glued in a aircraft wheel ...

b8a2526bc3c452dddde6f7e1eb0e483a.jpg

then made the base of the pump with brass and aluminium tubing

91d55e296e6dcbbc76ee0884f7bf8e39.jpg

made a copper baseplate for the pump that could be welded on somewhere and then made tiny copper straps

0c4ba27d4cc08ecc62c3b14a2c355bdf.jpg

brass in the float center

ac63092047bf1449db1afc4c8696f6b5.jpg

made holes for electric wiring and tiny brass wire

c93aab0517a12611810d43e614797ae1.jpg

glued in now because after paint i cant get them glued without making a mess

b3d43b678c96e49b24962a36117ded92.jpg

where the witing gos into the float that needs to be cleaned up

9e8046c56cfa62b9e9f49da3c6520b0c.jpg

all together ery rough to get an idea ... also shows the size better then on the close ups , it seemd bog and rougher on pics above these show it how it looks irl

7fee86d7b5830c4515941a47645b9af5.jpg

878cad1c55bac6a6d2d4a8b37ce0f231.jpg

Excellent scratchbuilding!  Keep up the great work!

Your attention to detail is amazing! Your patience must be unbelievable!

thnx .. and well tbh in the past i also lcked the patience to really go on andd on with all details .. every build and after a while when you get that detail virus and seee other people here .. you get the drive to stick with it and keep adding .. this is my most detailed model ever ..and i'm really enjoying this build !

Do you disassemble, paint and then reassemble? Or go back in and detail paint each?

well some parts are already glued together , like the base chassis with axle and stuff ... then the flip front is separate and the body itself is separate ...

on this build its actually a giant puzzle , i have never taken so much time pre-fabricating parts and make it so the way it mounts is so i have hidden spots where i can glue it on ...

the whole interiour is pre-painted and fits in a certain way ..

to really awnser your question most small details are all loose and will be put on after painting the chassis.. so the fuel pump is loose ns also not even the spot it will sit on eventually .. i like it on the tank but mybe not that realistic .. could be like the plate is welded on the tank ...

that said my previous builds where almost all together and i painted all the details afterwards . i must say that worked great as well

so i found a good location for the fuell pump ...

i could put it on the other side of the black brace .. going to decide that on te final assembly

then made brackets for a brakeline , went with a single line and split it in the back , using brass smooth wire

then needed to puzzle with the brackets on the axle it was impossible to run a cool over the axcle line with brackets or clips ..

so i made a splitter in front of the axle on the underfloor bit big but that will be painted with the whole floor in black so it wont stick out .. fun thing is how i'm running the brakeline .. same location as the tiny molded line from revell :)

very rough set up just so i know that it will fit

i'm putting the brakeline in the middle of the caliper bit like this > fits the best and clears everything

nicely visible with the wheel on , now thi is rough on final assembly there witth be fittings and bushes added , just need to know everything fits together before painting

made tank straps from copper , looks way better then the molded ones , let them stick over the edge a bit so after paint it will create depth

81ba127c03eec0569d7fae6b2b623e53.jpg

the rods from axle to brace .. still have not found material what has the right thickness it quickly look to massive .. i will have to waight for when i will go to the modelstore and buy some alu or brass tubing thats the right thickness , then cut a section out of the needle pins and slide that in there

also need to make nice shocks to replace the ugly styrene things that i put on .. that was working when i was making the set up and ride hight .. now it needs to look more detailed ..

0a8677b46ae667f6bad4baf4ef3e49c4.jpg

i made a 3 pod housing early on in the build , just put ome gauges in there and as a test i put in clear velpon glue ..if i'm correct it will stay clear .. i know it gets real hard when dry ....

so i hope it stays clear , beats building up layers with clear varnish .. and yes i know you can buy stuff to make glass or lenses or .. but i'm more of the low budget solutions and like to try new methods

f943c8a4a531ae034e88c2a1ad3b546b.jpg

edf159e1a52aee5f4a7687ce6cddd833.jpg

Edited by crazyrichard

i didnt do a lot this week , just finetuned the small stuff like makin sure it connects on final assembly ..

first gave all the calipers a round hollow bar that sticks out and pinted it in the sme gold .. this will house the flexible brakeline from the hard line to the caliper ..did the rear calipers the same

used the rubbery flexible mantle from earphone wire going to use that for waterhoses ..

glued rods in the connections where the hose slides on , it will thicken there like a hose does irl on the connection point , on final assembly i will add hose clamps !

primed the bottom and base interiour ... and man it really came to life all in primer !! also not a lot of work its all nice and clean

stuff like the copper tank straps really still show looks way better then the molded tank straps

again stuff that now looks great i made copper straps , brackets around the front axle those looked weird and rough , now in primer i love them

stuff like the wires i added on the firewall also came out great ...

dryfit with body and flipfront ..

apolstered the interiour wih cloth tape (medical tape) just like on the seats and center console ... on tis picture its all done exept the driver side floor

bad news i i just sprayed it all matt back and while the interiour , front chassis+axle all went well and are fine the whole underside had some wrinkling in the paint .. so i will have to sand some stuff later .. dont know what happened :(

its halfway dry so here are some pics ...

first the part that went fine , cloth interiour and the top of the dash came out fine

with the seats and center console >

rollcage is chrome and with the alu dooorpanels and white edge steering wheel those parts will really pop on the black

then the part that went wrong , underside , you see some wrinkeling in places .. on the gasstank i already went over with a damp cuetip to get most wrinkles off and to make sanding later esyer , so i will have to put in some work ... hmmzz i hoped i could start painting stuff tomorrow , like all the smalld etails that need some chrome or silver ..ohh well

well i turned that ship around (yeeeyy) sanded some wrinkles down again and sprayed a second coat .. that did it its perfect now !

one spot on the middle of the tank had a chip from sanding a deep spot .. instead of filling that i drilled a hole and made a steel tank plug in there ...(bolt from a toy fingerboard)

from a normal distance and as whole , the bars on the axle are chrome again by scraping the paint of , again i need to get some nice tubing to put there instead of those thin thins later

then removed the paint of the brass tank straps , bit of a gamble but i love it

the schocks have bolts , its actualy a needle pin head i sanded them bare again beats painting ..

very loose dryfit with the rollcage , not inside the holes , dont want to scratch the chrome

with the seats and center console

some parts on the underside will get clear coat to make them shine , some parts chrome ...so there will be variaty ...

i hated the outcome this morning but now i'm happy again with the way its turning out

thnx guys and yes partially coming together ... i now can start detail painting and final assembly on the chassis , interiour etc !

thnx !!!

dryfit picture from today with daylight

gued in the dash and the gauge pod under the dash

then it was dark outside , yuup its 20:30 atm over here :)  so the rest of the pics are not that great cant see it all with all the black and artificial light ...

but i assembled part of the interiour , put in the cage , steering wheel , seats and center console ...

then glued the powerboostvale on the firewall

loose dryfit with the engine , i ill put that in tomorrow and get it on its wheels and tyres ...and add the brkelines and fuelline

because it was all dark i made some parts chrme like the little electric boxes and window wipermotor , i figured its  gasser so some chromed parts would not be that weird :)  also added the master brake cilinder

thnx !

i hope to instal the brakelines and gasline tomorrow

and yes that stuff works great !! .. zo easy and the effect is pretty realisic .. best thing is you can really stick it on any shape and cut it with a knife along lines ..

Edited by crazyrichard