Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 charger gasser , final assembly

crazyrichard

some more shaping of those tubes , enough room now imo

i did not like the stock gasscap , or the way it sits on top of the wing , i knpw thats how it sits on the real charger .. just dont like it ..

i thought about working it in , like enlarging the hole so i can place it flush with the wing .. in the end i thought lets stay true to the original but give it a tiny cutom toutch ..

did that by making the orginal size hole a conical edge .. so the gass cap sits like it should and sticking out above the wing but have like a edge around .. with paint that should catch some light reflections on that edge ...

A suggestion if I may?

It would be relatively easy to add some "strength" to the chassis by adding some tubing. You can also add some interest to the engine compartment at the same time. Here is what I did to a similar project:

Bend up two of these:

2016022721_31_14-th.thumb.jpg.b28c22498a

Drill holes in the firewall and the front of the chassis rail:

2016022721_31_26-th.thumb.jpg.9ca54d39d6

I made mine removable for engine installation.

2016022721_30_24-th.thumb.jpg.da04e985eb

They will be glued in when the engine is completed and in place.

Edited by 6bblbird

thnx randy !!!!!

well its all like a puzzle , taking all the time to build it so when i go to assembly after paint it all falls together , with hidden glue earea's .. all fits and i can paint stuff separate and not have to worry how to put it on afterwards ..

last big step was to make something that holds the whole flip front in place after closing it .. that needs to be stirdy and hold the front so the seems sit tight and matches the body ...

so a system with rod and pin didnt work , to flimsy and to much play .. i mean if the splip pin was in the right scale it was just to thin to hold it all ..

so i made some L shape brackets from sprue on the firewall , they are glued in a hole with behind a smaller hole and a steel pin .. just to make sure its tight and strong ...

then took 2 tiny bolts and grinded the heads flat on a bench grinder in my shed / workshop ... drilled into the styrene rods on the firewall and glued the bolts in upside down and sunken into the rod //

then used a guitar string end bush (brass) cut that in half and glued that on the hood .. that fits exactly over the bilt thread and has the perfect amount of grip ..

so this needed to be conplete before primer and paint and i needed to know it would sit perfect and hold strong , thats why the radiator is part of the front hinge that will sit on the front of the chassis .. its ll needs to be stront and have no play and can be glued after paint without risk of making a mess

so like this the brass bushes fall over the rods and hold perfect

so perfect that without the front hinge being attached to the frame the whole front just sits and stays and the whole thing can sit on all 4 tyres and stay up ..

tiny bit of work on the transition between front and body / doors .. its doenst have to be too perfect since i really want the fibreglass front look ...i therefore on purpose made the lines on the front wings a tad softer .. it needs to look a one piece fibreglass made font

getting close to primer now ...

just decided i did want a custom gass cap ..

started with a chrome ribbed ring from a compass ?? a thing to draw perfect circles with on paper ... then drilled the center open and added a brass bush

then drilled a very large hole , bit larger then the chrome ring and put plastic underneith to close it again , drilled a hole in the plastic i glued under and now you have a more flush cap with some rome around ... that will al be bodycolor and give a cool effect with the chrome / brqss cap in there after paint

the crome ring has a ribbed edge

Very cool, love the gas cap. Are you still going with dark green metallic for the color of the car?

yes i would like to not real dark but like that bright metallic green the cool color ... although some other metallics could be cool as well .. i think i will go to the modelstore and look at some tamiya spray cans

thnx guys ..!

cleaned up the flip front lock .. filed it lower and sanded it smooth , irl it doesnt look as big as on pics and later the brass rings will be bodycolor and the pins silver so that will blend in nice i hope ..

again it needed to be a strong connection

some daylight pics

Richard could those hood mounts be sunk into the hood for a cleaner look ?They seam a bit clunky...!?

yes they could have ... i thought about that .. but in the end it was so hard to line up the pins and brass bushes .. its like you have to drill a perfect centered hole when you sink them into the hood ...and with all the sanding i did under there the hood is only about 1mm thick now ..

and i cant really glue the front hinge on so most alingnement first needed to be at the firewall

i hope that makes sense ?? so if i would have sunken them then it would not have been much lower .. the way i constructed it was that the hood cant go lower .. like the sunken bush then would have to sit level with the underside of the hood ....

i made the brackets first just started building and winging it .. didnt really hve a exact plan just a general idea ..

so i build the styrene brackets .. then i had a bunch of steel and brss parts on the bench and started to make something with what i had ...

so secind came the reverse bolts glued sunken in the stryrene brackets ... then found out the brass rings fit perfect on the bolts ..

now i lined up everything , then with a thin marker drew on the underside and lined up the holes , drilled smaller holes first and then found out it was impossible to get the bushes perfect aligned in a hole in the hood ..

bit hrd to explain perfectly but yes i wanted to sink them in ...nd like said while trying i realized that would give me so little gain hight wise ...

then i would had to redo the brackets and they are glued in the firewall with superglue and have a steel pin in them that gued into a second layer behind the firewall ...

Very inventive!

thnx !!

Edited by crazyrichard

That makes perfect sense Richard  I dont wish to offend  :D I Like where your going with your Charger . I like the way you did the window trims and the engine is great .

ooh no never offended ..i like it when people are hounest .. so thats never and issue 

its just i had something in my mind with  pin and tiny loose split pen .. with a wire to hold it when loose .. but that just too flimsy

i did just filed about 1 mm more of the brass ring and pin .. i think thats it dont want to go much further and ruin them

also made these pics , now most are pretty close up and with the steering wheel next to it it kinda shows the size better .. wheels are pretty small in the front so that was not a good reference as well lol .. i used the steering wheel to determan if the size was doable .. so a compromoze between size and function

also 2 pics where i hold it also looks wat different .. that all said i agree i would love them flush or smaller .. but i have a perfect set up now and i dont feel like rebuilding it all ...thats what you get when you dont plan but just build lol

6f997783dd23fc4092ec21a560230d67.jpg

Edited by crazyrichard

A possible solution for the hood might be to find / make an ultra thin washer for the bottom of the hood mounts that would be a larger diameter. Then you could sink them and  glue them under the hood.

Last resort? Drop the pin mounts on the firewall.

Either way, I love it over all Richard. Keep cranking.

A possible solution for the hood might be to find / make an ultra thin washer for the bottom of the hood mounts that would be a larger diameter. Then you could sink them and  glue them under the hood.

Last resort? Drop the pin mounts on the firewall.

Either way, I love it over all Richard. Keep cranking.

i had washers under there but on the pins .. i thought that would give extra surface .. looked real stupid visully .. but yes mye some under the hood ... then again i would really only gain 1mm the styrene of the hood there is real thin i sanded it thinner for looks ...

and yes i would need to drop het mounts .. but tbh i'm not going to .. i lwyas want to put in extra effort but in this case spce wise with the powerboostvale on the firewalls and all the stuff under the hood .. ..

i think with some bodycolor over the front and those brass rings it will blend in more ...

but i like the way you think :)

not a whole lot done .. still into the last small details and mking sure it all go's together good after paint

i have to make a fuel pump , and brackets on the bottom .. for a fuell line and brakelines ... so when ll is painted ican feed lines through ... already drilled true the chassis at the front

first mounted the brakes / spindles with gold painted calipers .. due to the small rim sie they sit a bot outside .. but now you can see it when all is together ...

also started a steering rod .. need a steeringbox and rod from front inside ..

i can just , just fit a steering rod from the steering wheel to the front .. really fits perfect all together ...

vieuw through the side .... i now get the aaaarrrgghh about the roughness of the body and flip front , cant waight to get it all smooth in primer ..

but i first want all the final details set and know how assembly go's  .. and beside that dont have paint yet ... hope to get that in the coming 1-2 or 3 weeks ..

the underside .. coming together .. later with the fuelpump gassline and brakelines i think it will come together nicely

:D thnx bruce

rough set up and start on the fuel line .. made brackets on the bottom .. in a way i can mount and feed a fuelline after paint and dont have to worry about glue ..

from the bottom it will go up and i will make a bracket on the firewall and it will go in the bottom of the powerboostvalve

so at the tank i just stick the line in to see what bend i can make .. the styrene rod is a rough start and will have to looke like a float and sender with electric wire .. and at the tank outside i will make a loose electric fuell pump .. so the way it sits is just for the pic and to see how to run the bend best

when this is done i will start the brakelines .. got the rear brake discs ready so ......