Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 charger gasser , final assembly

crazyrichard

thnx guys !!

what about painting it with tamiya ts-92 orange metallic ? and then do the black trunk stripe under clear coat ? maybe that color combo would be perfect ?

i do have flat orange , the same paint brabd as the primer ....i could paint it in orange now but then flat orange ....but i think the tamiya metallic orange would really make it pop ..

i never used tamiya i heard its sprays great ... only thing i dont know is how tamiya reacts on a non tamiya primer .. i must say the primer i use can handle all sorts of paints without reacting , but you never know ...

so any experience in tamiya paint is welcome :)

body is pretty straight and smooth now .. also the deeper pannellines look great .... the custom rear now is perfect the corners where the rear bumper sits against the body are now smooth ... the whole line over the width separating the bumper and spoilerlip is crisp .. its not stock and a thing i came up with , cnt find anything like that exactly but i love the look , imo it makes the whole rear more exiting

finally got time to go paintshopping and bought and painted the body with tamiya ts-92 .. first time i use tamiya .. i usualy use large cheaper rattle cans .. i must say it was worth the money .. sprayed great and the color and tone and change in color when the light hits it is great ..

pics are after a wet coat so no clear on there yet ... its now matt ..

thnx guys ! now doubting if i should wash the panellines ..hmmz i have had good and bad results with in the past .. coming from  more rat style builds the clean and perfect build style is still a bit "new" to me ... maybe i will search for a tiny marker and do them that way .. or i do the panellines after clear coating and then wash them in with waterbased paint ..

on the other hand i dont think it looks bad without doing the panellines ..

Followed, mainly because im on this same kit and im interested in how yours will turn out haha. My vote is for post-apocolyptic gasser.... Give it that General Mayhem look with leafs in the front, and maybe alter the wheelbase a bit, not as much as a full-blown altered drag car, but enough to make someone look twice lol

Beautiful color and paintjob. 

I just read (again) the whole thread from the beginning and there is some excellent craftsmanship on display. I just think that you should adjust some things while/if you still can. Like some of the suspension links and components and some of the lines you are using, which look completely out of scale in comparison to other pieces of the model. Your tie rods and steering links are thinner than your fuel lines - by a lot. The rear links are also thinner than the lines. It is a great chassis with a lot of quality work invested in it and it would be a shame to have things like these be the first thing that jumps at you when looking underneath. 

thnx guys !!

the clear i used is tamiya ts-13 ...

and i agree on the fuell lines and rear links , i actually bought some brass yesterday for future builds , plan is still to change the rear tie-rods .. the fuellines are just to thick , i figured i could get away with those because they are steel and the idea was braided line , protection cover .. most stuff is hard to change now ..

take in consideration this is my first complete detailed car , like first time i go all out on every detail , but i understand !! and agree :)

painted the grille and added logos , small detail painting is usually my thing , always comes out great .. but i had one spot that went wrong right side of the grille and light covers some spillage and i got it remoed but the earea was a tad light .. then tryed touching up with orange sprayed in a bowl and a brush , then got a dark spot ....

few options ...

1. leave it and accept its only 90% good

2. buy a new printer and make a new grille / headlightcovers in front of that and make it look like a decal , like the front is lightweight / one piece so sort of the funnycar style with no real lights and all

3. make a mesh grille in front of this , i have black rubber mesh i put it in front and that looked cool , also you can still see the logos a bit through that

4. mask the grille opening and spray it all black inside so the inside surround thats usually chrome ...