Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2016 "The Aussieball" Official Build Thread

TFchronos

I will make my entry official as I ordered my kit just now (and I'm very impatient so it's coming overnight from amazon)...I'll be entering with a 69 Charger.

I mainly build imports but this is something I wanted to build anyway, so the plans include a lift, pre-runner style suspension, 33" tires, and lots of body modifications to store the necessities for such a trip.

I'm lucky that the kit comes with a rollcage, but I'll make interior modifications, and I haven't excluded the idea of RHD yet, however it's old enough to keep LHD.

Engine is gonna depend on budget...I'm considering a 4x4 diesel platform as well as a newer engine with some forced induction, but the Good Ole' 440 (I think) may do just fine with some added accessories and detail. Needless to say, I'm probably way in over my head and it'll take forever to complete this.

SAM_1546_303140930_std.thumb.jpg.39d78d3

Edited by CFMgarage

So after several days of thinking this over I am going to build a 48 Ford Woody 4x4 to take on the Australian outback.

Starting with the Revell 48 Ford Woody, 4x4 drive from the Revell Jeep kit, along with some parts from the spare parts box I'll be converting the chassis of the woody into 4 wheel drive, upgrading the engine to a modern Ford supercharged V-8 with all of the equipment required to make this long trip. 

Who knows, maybe Captain Chaos will even make an appearance!

Welcome aboard Gergo and Rob.

My entry will be along the same lines Gergo.

I was contemplating doing my usual modern import stuff but hey I may as well step out of my comfort zone :) 

Can't wait to see your posts...looks like I found a similar class vehicle to tackle the obstacles of the land down under side by side with. ?

I haven't worked on it yet, but I got the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon kit and started mocking up the truck.

56bfa6d16dbe0_20160213_1641381.thumb.jpgI think I might paint it olive drab for it to look like a military truck, but plans might change. Even though it is more than 30 years old, I still want to make it RHD, you know, because it will make it more "Aussieball" worthy. Still, plans might change, but so far, that's what it will look like. Can't wait to start working on it!

Jay

G'Day Mates,

It's great to see the entry list growing for this mad escapade!

For a bit of an update on my K5 Blazer entry, been busy on the web looking for info on Roo Bars and off road roll cages. Quite a bit of controversy over the various bars on the front of vehicles due to pedestrian safety, still looking into it. For this build I'm looking at utilizing the push bar and grill guard from the Chevy tow truck. It certainly fits the Blazer grill design. Going to add mesh behind it as an image search showed most Roo Bars with it.

For the roll cage I found a great site with lots of design principles for a custom installation. Here is the link:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/rollcage.shtml

Worth a look! Sat down at the drafting table with pencil and ink and came up with the following design. 

Also began converting to LHD.

The colour codes make it easier to see the various sub assemblies. Blue illustrates the roof portion joined by the green for the bed portion and red for the cockpit. It was interesting to see how the seats will be part of the cockpit cage. The entire structure needs to be tied into the chassis rather than just into the floorboard, so added structure will be required to achieve that.

So that's about it for now, need to start bending plastastruct now.

Cheers Misha

image.jpeg

Edited by Misha
Missed the dash note

After taking a good look at the map and googling as much of the terrain as possible I realized, that while it's off-road, it's still pretty decent, so now that my kit and tires and wheels came in I mocked up some "stance"...

image.thumb.jpg.e5d1585dae012e6ca9c95fd9

Nice,

Got more info on the wheels/tires? I just ordered some for my Raptor, but I like the looks of yours a lot.

David

PS....what kit is the SuperBike in the back? I've been looking for something like that for a build I got coming up later this year.

Edited by Jhedir6

Nice,

Got more info on the wheels/tires? I just ordered some for my Raptor, but I like the looks of yours a lot.

David

PS....what kit is the SuperBike in the back? I've been looking for something like that for a build I got coming up later this year.

Thank you! Those are RC car wheels and tires. I took a gamble and it seems to have worked :) I think they're from Losi. They'd be way small for a raptor, trust me. I measured them to be 1.25 inches, which means they're 31.25" real life. 

And the bike is from Heller. They make 4 race bike kits in 1/25 scale, I got this Yamaha a few weeks ago. 30-some pieces, built in a couple days. You can mask off the lights and paint it for street use. 

Edited by CFMgarage

I am ready to go official with my entry.  I finally got my base model.  I was going to go with the Toyota Landcruiser, but I think that others are doing that.  Instead, I went with this as my base.  I am planning on adding some aftermarket wheels and tires.  This model opens up a whole lot of opportunities, especially since the doors already open and I won't have to do that myself.  I will definitely need to come up with some type of kangaroo bar, but being an odd scale, I am really limited in the way of available parts.

P2200091.jpg

Cool choice Keith !

You could really pack the back of that up with cross country gear,..huge gas tank,..

The front Roo bar, looks good as is ,.. but throw a wet bar in the back, ..and I will drive as your support truck !;)

Cheers  M8

ps If you dont want those kit wheels,...I have a garbage can here I'll let you throw them in ..:D

Edited by Belugawrx

Cool choice Keith !

You could really pack the back of that up with cross country gear,..huge gas tank,..

The front Roo bar, looks good as is ,.. but throw a wet bar in the back, ..and I will drive as your support truck !;)

Cheers  M8

ps If you dont want those kit wheels,...I have a garbage can here I'll let you throw them in ..:D

I think that this will be a good challenge.  I will probably try to make a bigger bar to protect more of the front of the van.  This model has something that I have never seen before.  It has internal engine parts.  By that I mean that it has a crankshaft, cam, rocker assemblies and a set of pistons.  They don't mention any of these parts in the instructions and I have no idea why they would include them since you can't even see them.

I am not sure yet what I will do about the wheels.  I ordered some 1/18 scale R/C wheels and tires and hopefully they will work out.  The kit tires aren't that big.  They are only a little bigger, mostly wider, than the ones that come with the Tamiya Toyota Landcruiser 80.

As for the wet bar, it already comes with a stove and sink, so it isn't out of the question.

Welcome to the fun Keith, awesome entry. 

I think that it will be fun.  I hadn't seen anyone else posting that they were using this as a base and when I saw it, I knew that I had to go for it.  I need to get some bigger wheels/tires on it, but I don't want to make the center of gravity any higher than it already is.

i mocked up my basic suspension first. Decided to do traction arms like lifted show trucks would have and secured a NASCAR rear end to it so I can mock some stuff up. Then played around with shock placement. This is all just a mockup and will probably come apart 30 times before I find how I really like it and dial in my ride-height. 

As you can see its WAAAY TOO HIGH for my liking but as said above its just the first mockup. No rush till Dec. 1 :) 

image.thumb.jpg.e08308767d0e591961781e1c

Edited by CFMgarage