Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2016 "The Aussieball" Official Build Thread

TFchronos

Some very unique builds all ready entered, I think I finally figured out something that I want to build I will go hunting through the parts tonight. Some very cool paint jobs Ray (helix) and Bruce (belugawrx) they have given me a few ideas.

I think I've started something here Bill, I wonder how many more crazy paint jobs we will see :D!

I have a question to ask. I was wondering if there has been in the past any talk of having a logo for each year?...

...David

It's an illegal street race David.  Probably not a good idea to advertise you are participating.

Good work every one.  Looks like there'll be lots of utes in this one.

I've ordered an engine from Clearly Scale in order to get a suitable manual gearbox.  Very good communication from him.  He tells me it's been sent to the US for forwarding down here.
I can't start building the chassis until I get the transmission but in the meantime i've cut down the Grand National body to make a ute cab and after rummaging through my parts boxes have located a pair of resin 9 inch diffs I'll use as centres for the independent suspension.

So I think  for this for this years entry i will use my Bmw M1 procar I know it's pretty far from anything that should be off road . But I'm planning on building it like the class b rally cars of the early 80's.  I will have to make an AWD system for it switch it to right  hand drive, roo bars , and larger fuel tank.  For the suspension I am going to  copy the set up used by the Ford rs200 or  the Lancia 037.  Anyway this  is  the kit I'm starting with and where I hope to get 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by bill_67

I'd like to join in with this for my first cannonball. The AMT 1950 Chevy

The engine is from the '78 Ford Firestones truck and I will use parts from the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

Jay

Cool Jeremy,........gonna jack it ???

Bill,... that is gonna be nice :wub:

Found an oil cooler fan set up for the 'Perch....

Started the snorkel set up 

Much cutting and pasting left to do...

Cheers

image.jpeg

WOW, now that is an unexpected entry! I love it, but you have a fair amount of work ahead of you my friend. I respect the choice though, it was a fast car. For it's time, on asphalt, on the track.  So it does still have attributes that should come in handy in the outback. Such as reasonably aerodynamic shape of the body, low weight, low centre of gravity. If you can make it reliable, it could well become a strong competitor.  Good thing the deadline is far ahead.;)

WOW, now that is an unexpected entry! I love it, but you have a fair amount of work ahead of you my friend. I respect the choice though, it was a fast car. For it's time, on asphalt, on the track.  So it does still have attributes that should come in handy in the outback. Such as reasonably aerodynamic shape of the body, low weight, low centre of gravity. If you can make it reliable, it could well become a strong competitor.  Good thing the deadline is far ahead.;)

Lysleder I totally agree with you, going  to be a ton of work. The kit really has my interest and I tend to give up once my interest falls off a little. But like you said the deadline is far away so I have time for details.

Bruce that chassis for the truck looks amazing just love all the details so far, I'm sure I will be stealing some of those ideas.

G'Day Mates!

Would like to join in this chase across the Outback!

Decided to modify my 1972 K5 Blazer so it can seriously tackle this challenge. The kit comes with some great off-road goodies such as twin shocks, extra fuel tanks, knobbies, driving lights, etc. Yet need to change a few things and add some items.

After taking care of some serious flash and ejector pin marks, I was ready to give the chassis some increased height by adding roughly three inches to the suspension bits and lifting the body by two inches. The engine from the kit exhibits some oddities such as a rather longer short block as there is a bit of space ahead and behind the heads, a huge oil filter, and rather soft detail all the way around. Decided to stick with it anyways. Going to add an air box with an external snorkel to deal with all the dust when passing all the other competitors! Again all the engine bits and tranny pieces needed a lot of clean up before cementing. (Think this was repopped without cleaning up the molds?) Going with the headers and side exhausts, hoping the authorities won't mind the growl. Need to upgrade the cooling system with larger rad, overflow tank and an oil cooler.

Inside the seats are going out the door to be replaced with comp style buckets, the dash is being modified to RHD, easy on this one as its symmetrical side to side, and installing a roll cage to stiffen up the chassis (not planning on rolling it). 

The body is quite nice, though to features deluxe trim on the sides and tailgate. These were quickly sanded off so that the K5 becomes a base model. Need to add the separation seam along the rocker panel for the front fenders. Plans include a decent Roo Bar on the front. Going with the Fiberglas top ( wish it didn't have the vinyl texture, yet think I'll keep it that way) and plan to add a roof rack. 

That's about it for now... Have to find that billibong and kit bag... Here are a few mock up shots showing the Blazer kicked up into the air.

Cheers to all, looking forward to seeing you on the trail, Misha

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well a new month and I'm reporting in.  I'm not doing much until I get my table cleared of my two other kits but it's hard to stay totally hands off.  I had ordered some beadlocks because I wanted a more rugged look, and they came so I had to scratch the itch.  I thought about making them but the thought of drilling all of those holes scared me off.  Here is the before and after.

Next will be an attempt to add an extra turbo to the turbo diesel.  Should be um..fun?

Cruiser Tire and Wheel.jpg

2016-01-10 14.50.29.jpg

Here are my donors: 

Here is what started that idea: 

I'm thinking I may go all out and build some type of forced induction for the 4.6. I was thinking pretty hard towards twin turbo, but nothing is set in stone at the moment. The axles will likely be swapped and I may attempt to scratch build a different transfer case. I won't be starting yet, but soon. Hopefully before the end of the month.