Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diamond Reo Royale

Nice project - you're putting us to shame with the speed at which you seem to be getting on with the build.  I was quite happy to have decided what I'm going to do before the end of the third week in January!

Will be very interested to see how you progress with this one.

Thank you guys  :)

Jim - Your project will piece right together as you are putting thought into it. I always seem to jump in the deep end without my water wings. :lol:

I am back to making forward progress - I now have the foundation for the exhaust and air intake piping.  Getting this far was a real trial .

I had to rob some of my most coveted spare parts to get this exhaust / air intake setup. :(

P1184492.jpg

P1184493.jpg

Thank you for looking in :)

Edited by Old Buckaroo

Sean, "artistic license"....that's a good one.  To tilt the cab (or big hood), how much do you recommend to "mount" up front beforehand?  All of the integral parts, radiator and all?

Or would you say the tilting mechanism is most important, the rest will have to match up?

In other words, how do you attach the radiator and other parts so they can be later removed.  To me this is just at this time a real wobbly and shaky set up.  How do you make the concerned parts set so that you can exactly figure out where the "tilt" has to be.  I have no problems with the "tilt mechanism" as such,  just the other stuff drives me up the wall.

Thank you guys  :)

Jim - Your project will piece right together as you are putting thought into it. I always seem to jump in the deep end without my water wings. :lol:

I am back to making forward progress - I now have the foundation for the exhaust and air intake piping.  Getting this far was a real trial .

I had to rob some of my most coveted spare parts to get this exhaust / air intake setup. :(

P1184492.jpg

P1184493.jpg

Thank you for looking in :)

Your coveted parts look very good on this model . More than likely much better than they did in the parts box ! lol

Seriously that is a great application for those parts. The whole thing looks really good!

Be Well

Gator

Sean, "artistic license"....that's a good one.  To tilt the cab (or big hood), how much do you recommend to "mount" up front beforehand?  All of the integral parts, radiator and all?

Pat - It works best for me to have as many sub-assemblies in place to help with mock ups and clearances.

Or would you say the tilting mechanism is most important, the rest will have to match up?

Yes and no, you can always remove a few mm's out of a radiator easier then thinning out the hood or floor pan in a coe. You dont want the hood mounted really high as then there is that gap between the bumper. It is all basically the "Domino effect"  Mess with one part and everything else is affected.     Lots and lots of mock ups - as you can see I use Lego blocks, Popsicle sticks, small pieces of plywood left over from R/C plane days, styrene scrap . Anything to get the height and level correct.

In other words, how do you attach the radiator and other parts so they can be later removed.  To me this is just at this time a real wobbly and shaky set up.  How do you make the concerned parts set so that you can exactly figure out where the "tilt" has to be.  I have no problems with the "tilt mechanism" as such,  just the other stuff drives me up the wall.

I am a big user of white glue, Elmers white glue, Aileens Tacky glue or my personal favorite "Micro Kristal Klear"  - it is sold in hobby shops intended mainly for attaching aircraft canopies and filling the gaps under them.  It is very durable and removes very easily when needed. I use this stuff all the time on my trucks - Windshields, running lights, emblems , mirrors , the grill in my BJ truck...  Anything needing attached to a painted surface as if I used liquid plastic cement I would have a mess.  I cant even convey to you how much my right hand shakes , so I need something that will clean up easily and also hold the part.

The worst of it is done, the exhaust pipe from the turbo to the stack should be a breeze :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...