Model Cars Magazine Forum

'74 Vega Bruce Larson USA-1_FYI Reissue Update

69NovaYenko

Earlier this month I posted an interest in doing a Baldwin Motion "Super Vega".  It was suggested that I might want to consider using the '74 Bruce Larson USA-1 Vega as a starting point because; it was is set for reissue in a couple of months. Well I checked the AMT/Round 2 web-sites and did not see the kit listed as 2016 release/reissue. So I decided to ask AMT/Round 2 directly about the release date of the kit. Below is the response I got to my inquiry:

We had it planned for the second half of this year, but due to tooling budgets and backdating costs, this project may get pushed out to 2017.

Thanks for your interest,

John Greczula
Model Kit Development Director
Round 2, LLC

The news was disappointing but, I appropriate the time taken to respond to the question and the trustfulness in the response.  It may not be what I wanted to hear but it was what I need to know. Thanks, AMT/Round 2 for the honest forthright reply.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Definitely not what I wanted to hear either BUT The honest and trustworthy answer that you got goes a loooong way with me and That's why I Say Thank you Round 2 you will always have my business  ( same with Moebius ). Also want to say thank you for posting this .

Jeff 

Such negativity!!

I for one am happy that they are delaying it to get it right!!!

Every time a new kit is released,there are the ones that nitpick it.

This shows Round2 is trying to give us a good product.What does it matter that it will come to us late.

If they had said it would be released in 2018,then it would be ahead of schedule.

I for one will buy at least one of the kit,enjoy it when I get it,and applaud them for it.

Just my $.02

I wouldn't say we are negative. More like saying the way it is. Unfortunately, it's not a simple reissue of a Vega. Everybody wants a 1971/1972 Impala but we all know it morphed into the 1976 Caprice which would be a considerable amount of money and work to backdate it. I am sure Round2 will make the kit eventually.

If they backdate the body, it might be a better seller to go with the 1971-1973 Vega body?

I wouldn't say we are negative. More like saying the way it is. Unfortunately, it's not a simple reissue of a Vega. Everybody wants a 1971/1972 Impala but we all know it morphed into the 1976 Caprice which would be a considerable amount of money and work to backdate it. I am sure Round2 will make the kit eventually.

If they backdate the body, it might be a better seller to go with the 1971-1973 Vega body?

I suspect this Pro Stock version will sell better than a stock '71-73 would...

I suspect this Pro Stock version will sell better than a stock '71-73 would...

The Bruce Larson Vega probably would sell better than a stock Vega, but the 1971-1973 Vegas are hot. Much hotter than the big bumper 1974+ years.  Even a 1971-1973 Vega could be built as a Bruce Larson Vega. 

Ditto on the `71 Vega...if they are going to the expense to back date the body then the `71 Bruce Larson Vega is certainly the way to go if the insist on kiting a Pro-Stock car.

I agree with you Bob muscle car version of the Vega would sell FAR better than a factory stock one. Since Round 2 is contemplating back dating the kit how many of you would be open to seeing a `71 Baldwin Motion "Super Vega".
AMM1022-1971-Chevrolet-Vega-Baldwin-MotiAMM1022-1971-Chevrolet-Vega-Baldwin-Moti

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I agree with you Bob muscle car version of the Vega would sell FAR better than a factory stock one. Since Round 2 is contemplating back dating the kit how many of you would be open to seeing a `71 Baldwin Motion "Super Vega".AMM1022-1971-Chevrolet-Vega-Baldwin-MotiAMM1022-1971-Chevrolet-Vega-Baldwin-Moti

Agreed,

IMO, if theyre are go ing back date the tool. going to a 71-73 body would sell much better.

And I would be all over a motion vega kit

Just curious has there very been a `71 Vega kitted.. inquiring minds want to know. I belive that the Pro Stock "Grumpy’s Toy X" Vega campaigned by renowned Grumpy Jenkins, was a `72.

DSC_46561.thumb.jpg.526dda8e077f3517290d

"Grumpy`s Toy X " was one of the early cars to take advantage of NHRA rule changes in ’72 that allowed for lighter cars fitted with small block Chevy V-8 engines.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Just curious has there very been a `71 Vega kitted.. inquiring minds want to know. I belive that the Pro Stock "Grumpy’s Toy X" Vega campaigned by renowned Grumpy Jenkins, was a `72.

DSC_46561.thumb.jpg.526dda8e077f3517290d

"Grumpy`s Toy X " was one of the early cars to take advantage of NHRA rule changes in ’72 that allowed for lighter cars fitted with small block Chevy V-8 engines.

That car is either a 74 / 75, or an updated earlier car. (very common thing to do)  I don't think there were any significant differences  between the 71 and 72's.

Toys #9 and #10 were both called '72s. Both were built with the early front clip.  #9 was never updated having been destroyed in early '73.  #10 did eventually get the '74 grille, bumpers, and taillight panel.  I remember reading at the time (and it's repeated in Doug Boyce's book) that Jenkins didn't think the later front end helped the car's aerodynamics at all.  Toy #11 (the last Vega) was constructed as a '74, and never had the early front clip.

MPC produced stock Vega hatchback kits and promotional models for all years, '71 through '77.  The '71 and '72 annual kits had a body with a separate, opening rear hatch.  If you want an early one, look for a scuffed or shopworn promotional.  Built kits are usually poorly built.

Thanks Mark I appropriate you dropping some knowledge on us. I would truly hope that since Round 2 has to go through the expense to backdating the Vega I hope they opt to do a `71 or `72 Vega. It will leave options for a Motion Super Vega as well as a Grumpy Toy built option.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I am glad somebody mentioned the Motion V8 Vega. I think that version would generate sales for Round2.

In addition, GM built a V8 Vega using a 283ci leftover from their CERV project. They presented it to Hot Rod magazine in 1972 for a road test. GM dropped the V8 Vega and decided to move with the Cogsworth and Wankel engines.

I am glad somebody mentioned the Motion V8 Vega. I think that version would generate sales for Round2.

In addition, GM built a V8 Vega using a 283ci leftover from their CERV project. They presented it to Hot Rod magazine in 1972 for a road test. GM dropped the V8 Vega and decided to move with the Cogsworth and Wankel engines.

Don Yenko even got his hands on them to make a Yenko Stinger Vega.

Edited by jjsipes

A decent builtup Bruce Larson car just sold on Ebay and I dont think it broke the $35 mark . They are not that hard to come up with ( just a little to new for my interests)

There is an unbuilt kit on there now ,,,and so far its reasonable....so far

GM did build V8 Monzas (same chassis) with 262 CI engines, I heard Cali cars got a 350, but can't confirm.