Model Cars Magazine Forum

'56 Ford mild custom

restoman

I've been picking at this since the summer, finally finished it up this morning.

Had a lot of fun doing the customizing and exterior paint work, should have planned the interior our before winter and not-so-friendly-paint-weather set in. Brush painting isn't my favourite!

Chrysler Cool Vanilla car paint with Model Master Burgundy on the roof, followed by two coats of over-thinned ProSpray automotive clear. For some reason, the thinned out burgundy ended up as brown, but I like it. A light ivory and nail polish Copper interior with a brown dash.

I made the floating bar grill, robbed a speaker of its' mesh for the background, and painted my own wide whites with chrome reverse rims from a '49 Merc (I think?). Tunneled the headlights, shaved most of the trim, glued the doors shut, made the flush skirts, lowering blocks in the rear, etc...

I'm pretty sure this is the first of many customs. Did a lot of it in real life, on full size cars, but this is really the first time doing it in 1/25th. :)

feb 23 1.jpg

feb 23 2.jpg

feb 23 3.jpg

feb 23 5.jpg

feb 23 4.jpg

feb 23 6.jpg

feb 23 7.jpg

That's a very cool '56. 

The car is very well thought and the paint is just great. 

Those tires AMT is sending with the kits now can make whitewall painting a pain. I miss the old Firestone Deluxe Champions from the older kits. 

Since I built mine factory stock '56, I already got two more kits:rolleyes: I'm in a a'56 phase, hahahaha!!!

I'm also building kind of a custom, but nothing with body mods, just a cool color, lowered suspension, and a hot roded 312 Y-Block. Kind of a road racer.