Model Cars Magazine Forum

New project. Rare 70 cougar overhaul!!

freakshow12

i got this kit from a friend as a rebuilder.  It's hard to find and expensive.  He started adding the better 73 cougar engine bay.  I thought there had to be a better option.  I cut up a revell 69 Mach 1 and used a 69 shelby as a donor.  I will be doing a grabber green 70 eliminator.  This is an easy great upgrade that is easy to do. I have the 67,68 and 69 Cougars as well and now they will all be getting this treatment.  Follow along. I will let the pics do the talking.  Happy to hear any comments or questions

Interesting and very creative conversion. Could you share the reason for the floor boards being changed ? Also the Yellow Chassis looks like the rear wheel base is just a little short. I have not built this model, but wonder what the short comings are on the engine bay ?  

Interesting and very creative conversion. Could you share the reason for the floor boards being changed ? Also the Yellow Chassis looks like the rear wheel base is just a little short. I have not built this model, but wonder what the short comings are on the engine bay ?  

I had to stretch the chassis about 3mm to set the wheel base.  The kit comes with a very generic plate chassis and the engine bay is not even close to correct.  I figured if I were going to cut up a rare model I might as well use the best parts to make a nice factory stock car that is seldom seen on the contest tables.  To my knowledge in the first to do this conversion ?

I had to stretch the chassis about 3mm to set the wheel base.  The kit comes with a very generic plate chassis and the engine bay is not even close to correct.  I figured if I were going to cut up a rare model I might as well use the best parts to make a nice factory stock car that is seldom seen on the contest tables.  To my knowledge in the first to do this conversion ?

Thank you for the info. I have one of these Cougar kits but just never got around to building it.

it's going to be a 428 scj 4 speed car.  The big daddy eliminator?

Very cool!  But then again I'm biased :-)

Good choice on the floor pans.  Those look to be pretty correct, as far as ribbing and drain plugs go.

Don't forget, all Eliminators have a "slop gray" underside paint color.  This was typical for Cougars and Mustangs built in Dearborn, MI at the time.  For those who are unaware, "slop gray" was basically a slate / black-ish paint Ford used on various parts and major unseen areas of the cars.  Actual color varied because it was made up from all the waste-paint put into one vat.  So some cars will show metallic flake, others have a greenish tinge to the "gray".

I've attached a pic of the original underside of a competition orange '70 Boss Eliminator.  You clearly see the factory orange overspray (no, it's not rust), as well as the "slop gray" / black underside paint.
The slop gray extends up to the firewall and basically ends at the end of the transmission tunnel.  Slop gray was also used on the shock tower support struts (connect between the shock tower and firewall).
Engine compartment is semi-gloss black (which over time tends to flatten out with heat / age).  Shock tower caps are "natural" - a dark steel color.

Another thing to mention is that they blacked out the pinch weld area at the bottom of the rockers (blue pic below).

Difficult to tell on your model, but the side marker lights are different between a '69 & '70 as well. '69 style was sort of flush mounted with the sheet metal, while the '70 side markers were recessed ('70 pics attached).

Also the transmission cross member on your model is styled to resemble the one used on an automatic transmission.  Attached a pic of the 4-speed cross member for '69 / '70.

Hmm... one more quick tip: Mercury referred to it as Competition Green, while Ford used the name Grabber Green.  Otherwise they are the same color :-)

Good luck Sir!  Can't wait to see how you progress, and what the interior will look like!  If you need pics for detail items feel free to message me.

WP_20151103_15_36_07_Pro.jpg

4spd Crossmember - 69-70.jpg

Front marker.JPG

rear marker.JPG

IMG_0876_zpsupzcr6o5.JPG

Edited by EliminatorMike

Very cool!  But then again I'm biased :-)

Good choice on the floor pans.  Those look to be pretty correct, as far as ribbing and drain plugs go.

Don't forget, all Eliminators have a "slop gray" underside paint color.  This was typical for Cougars and Mustangs built in Dearborn, MI at the time.  For those who are unaware, "slop gray" was basically a slate / black-ish paint Ford used on various parts and major unseen areas of the cars.  Actual color varied because it was made up from all the waste-paint put into one vat.  So some cars will show metallic flake, others have a greenish tinge to the "gray".

I've attached a pic of the original underside of a competition orange '70 Boss Eliminator.  You clearly see the factory orange overspray (no, it's not rust), as well as the "slop gray" / black underside paint.
The slop gray extends up to the firewall and basically ends at the end of the transmission tunnel.  Slop gray was also used on the shock tower support struts (connect between the shock tower and firewall).
Engine compartment is semi-gloss black (which over time tends to flatten out with heat / age).  Shock tower caps are "natural" - a dark steel color.

Another thing to mention is that they blacked out the pinch weld area at the bottom of the rockers (blue pic below).

Difficult to tell on your model, but the side marker lights are different between a '69 & '70 as well. '69 style was sort of flush mounted with the sheet metal, while the '70 side markers were recessed ('70 pics attached).

Also the transmission cross member on your model is styled to resemble the one used on an automatic transmission.  Attached a pic of the 4-speed cross member for '69 / '70.

Hmm... one more quick tip: Mercury referred to it as Competition Green, while Ford used the name Grabber Green.  Otherwise they are the same color :-)

Good luck Sir!  Can't wait to see how you progress, and what the interior will look like!  If you need pics for detail items feel free to message me.

WP_20151103_15_36_07_Pro.jpg

4spd Crossmember - 69-70.jpg

Front marker.JPG

rear marker.JPG

IMG_0876_zpsupzcr6o5.JPG

thanks! The kit has the xr7 interior so I don't know how far I will go with it.  Some pics would help.  I grew up with mustangs and torinos.  Dad had one cougar, a 69 xr7 390.  Done a couple restos as well. I've also seen red oxide on some Cougars I think it depended on what was on hand. Here is a mach 1 chassis I did.   I tend to stick to the factory stock fords as that's what I grew up with so, like you I know silly things like casting numbers etc lol

thanks! The kit has the xr7 interior so I don't know how far I will go with it.  Some pics would help.  I grew up with mustangs and torinos.  Dad had one cougar, a 69 xr7 390.  Done a couple restos as well. I've also seen red oxide on some Cougars I think it depended on what was on hand. Here is a mach 1 chassis I did.   I tend to stick to the factory stock fords as that's what I grew up with so, like you I know silly things like casting numbers etc lol

F639EEC1-DBE5-48B9-B9EA-3BDDA7F3C44D_zps

Great detail on the undercarriage!  Very cool!  So it sounds like you're an old hand at restoration details - that probably makes it easy scaling everything down :-)

As for the red oxide on the Cougars, they were built at several plants, and they all used different practices.  Eliminators were all built at Dearborn and should have had a slop gray underside.  But... there are plenty of them out there that have been restored with red oxide.  I doubt anyone will question it :-)

Here is a picture of a '70 Cougar SCJ / 4-speed driveshaft, for reference.  Transmission yoke ends had purple markings, driveshaft end yokes were a red-orange.  The white stripe went toward the front and an orange stripe toward the rear.  The three in the middle are correct colors, but in the wrong order - they should be blue / red / green, front to back (oops).

I'll get some interior sample pics posted for you tomorrow.  In the mean time, does the interior you have use the high back buckets?  In '70 all of the Cougar interiors included high back buckets, so those would be fine for a '70 Eliminator.

IMG_0871.JPG

Edited by EliminatorMike
*moving pics to new post