Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have mixed feelings about this film. Sure it was fun. But, what was the point? If it wasn't for the background of Dubai I think it would have gotten a little boring after a while. I also found it both scary and overly decadent. Dubai didn't come off looking like a very friendly place to be for "regular" people. In fact were where the "regular" people? I saw a guard with a machine gun and a lot of exotic cars used as police cars. This was nothing more than a sterile, rich mans fantasy.

Again it was fun, to a point. There are more fun and interesting films of cars being put to the test, one might say. I'd rather watch a good car chase or racing film. Something that appears not as well controlled as this was. Again, sterile is the word that comes to mind. Where are the challenges, or challenger? It's a closed course with a race car and professional driver. How about another comparable car and driver out there challenging him?

I'm sure I'm going to be booed here. And called a wet blanket for my views on this. But, I'm sorry this was only cool to a point.

I have mixed feelings about this film. Sure it was fun. But, what was the point? If it wasn't for the background of Dubai I think it would have gotten a little boring after a while. I also found it both scary and overly decadent. Dubai didn't come off looking like a very friendly place to be for "regular" people. In fact were where the "regular" people? I saw a guard with a machine gun and a lot of exotic cars used as police cars. This was nothing more than a sterile, rich mans fantasy.

Again it was fun, to a point. There are more fun and interesting films of cars being put to the test, one might say. I'd rather watch a good car chase or racing film. Something that appears not as well controlled as this was. Again, sterile is the word that comes to mind. Where are the challenges, or challenger? It's a closed course with a race car and professional driver. How about another comparable car and driver out there challenging him?

I'm sure I'm going to be booed here. And called a wet blanket for my views on this. But, I'm sorry this was only cool to a point.

Actually there is a place where there is a challenger and another car…The World Rally Championship, where he gets his ass handed to him every year. I share your sentiment 100%. This video was more like a Dubai's sheikh commercial.

Meh, I like the one where he was blasting around San Francisco much better.

Although the scenery in this one was top shelf

My favorite also. Way better than this one. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vy8w915Z1Wc?feature=player_detailpage

Better?

Edited by Junkman

Okay. I just got back from watching this Block guy's run through San Francisco. It was okay until the end. The bit on the barge was too much. That and the way they were promoting the product. His attitude at the end, standing on the barge by his car with his arms up in the air. He comes across as an arrogant, look how cool I am, you know what. I started watching him with the "65" Mustang in LA. Watching him burn up 4 tires while chained in a warehouse. What was the point in that? I shut her down almost immediately.

His though San Fra was okay. But, nearly as good as Steve McQueen's chase scene in Bullit.

Okay. I just got back from watching this Block guy's run through San Francisco. It was okay until the end. The bit on the barge was too much. That and the way they were promoting the product. His attitude at the end, standing on the barge by his car with his arms up in the air. He comes across as an arrogant, look how cool I am, you know what. I started watching him with the "65" Mustang in LA. Watching him burn up 4 tires while chained in a warehouse. What was the point in that? I shut her down almost immediately.

His though San Fra was okay. But, nearly as good as Steve McQueen's chase scene in Bullit.

Promoting products is and has always been the point of these vids. Block is a businessman first, racing was a hobby and promotional tool for his shoe company that slowly became his now primary focus.

"Watching him burn up 4 tires while chained in a warehouse. What was the point in that?"

He had an 845hp AWD race car shaped like a 65 mustang. He could, so he did and it looked epic on film. That was the point.