Model Cars Magazine Forum

Phil Castronovo's Custom Body Mini Charger - complete!

I grew up in Rome, NY, the next town over from Utica, where Phil was from, and he was my boyhood idol.  When he passed away at 69 a few years back, I decided it was time to honor him with a model of the car he won the 1971 NHRA AAFC championship in. The model uses a Revell body over a slightly stretched Johan chassis.  It's the Revell engine with Bantam Blast rear wheels (stripped and sprayed with Alclad Brushed Aluminum), MPC hard plastic slicks from the 70s, and a fuel tank made from a gas can in the AMT Boss Nova.  Paint is Duplicolor White with Testors Hot Pink, all of which was airbrushed.  I designed the decals ,and Chuck Boerner printed them (he also did the "Custom Body" words on the decal.)   It took almost 5 years start and stop to get this done, and I am proud to honor my boyhood idol with this build!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Chris, great job. I grew up about 40 minutes south of Utica and went to the Utica-Rome Speedway a few times to see the drags. The first time I experienced a fuel car was seeing Phil in the earlier Charger go down that 1/8 mile track. I was hooked.

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/56ChevKRy/media/photos_BU/scale auto art/CustomBodyMinicharger1a_zpswsuihjmt.jpg.html

Here is a shot I took of his earlier Charger at Utica-Rome Speedway. Sorry it's so dark. I couldn't find my original prints, scanned the negs but time has damaged the negs. I hope the person that borrowed my prints will eventually return them.