Model Cars Magazine Forum

New magazine scam...

I get several free subscriptions to professional magazines because I still function as an engineering consultant from time to time, and I'm still listed as the owner of a small engineering company. 

Lately I've been getting calls from "subscription services" saying that the scrips are no longer free due to rising costs and blah blah blah. Of course, the callers wanted a slew of information they would already have if they were legit, plus a credit card number. Yeah, right. I'm stupid, but not that stupid.

So I told them just to cancel, and then I called the real subscription offices. Of course they've never heard of the crapp, said the scrips are still free, etc. etc.

Apparently some enterprising little nest of thieves has stolen contact databases from some of these publications, and is soliciting over the phone for money that will never see what it's supposedly for...and collecting credit card info to boot.

Beware. B)

This is along the same lines as the "There is a problem with your _______ account" emails. The scammers send emails with the name of genuine banking institutions included in the subject and sender's address. If you hover the pointer over the sender's name, you will see the name of the bank. Upon closer scrutiny, you will also see extra items, such as odd additions pointing to a bogus address. The scammer will indicate that there have been unusual transactions associated with your account and request that you verify your account information by sending your account number and login info for the purpose of conducting a security review. Yeah. right. Most of the emails are written in pidgin Engrish, which should be a dead giveaway to anyone not in a coma.

• 2 months later...

I haven't had that happen. I'm an engineer and I'll get annoying calls to get me to subscribe to free trade magazines for fields I'm not involved in or know anything about. They ask me the 20 questions and I answer NO to all of them and sometimes I still get the magazines. They go from the mailbox to the trash. BUT, I do belong to freebizmag.com and they are also used for getting free trade mags. However they also offer me free magazines that you normally pay a subscription fee for, common magazine you find on the magazine rack. Most are for magaizine that are of no interest but sometimes I do get them for magaizines I like. So then I fill out the form on line and get the free magazine. I don't even care about the free trade mag. I've had a free subscrition to Popular Science, Autoweek, Car Craft and Automobile.

If the thieves and scammers would turn their powers to good, we would all have free energy by now and cancer would be cured. Thieves, scammers and drug addicts are some of the most imaginative people I have come across.

Here's some free advice (worth exactly what you paid for it) for those that don't already know.

When you receive and email that LOOKS like it's from your bank/credit card/sensitive account of any type, NEVER CLICK ON THE LINK IN THE EMAIL!

If you have an account on a website regarding/referenced in the email you just looked at, exit your email program and log in to the website through your own saved bookmark/favorite and verify the actions suggested by the email you received.

Hackers/scammers have it easy because most computer users are not awake enough to check links included in email messages for strange company name spelling or no actual company name at all and it's easy to "name" a hyperlink with a valid company name that still sends you to a hacked website.

• 2 weeks later...