Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is it just me ...

I remember when I was young we used to participate in Pinewood Derby competitions...I was one of the only people there who got the rectangle block and actually carved something out of it...most everyone else's parent's bought them the pre-made ones that they stuck the pre-calibrated weights on and called it good.

"Pre-made" Pinewood Derby cars? How is that allowed? That completely subverts the whole point of the thing. That's like entering a store-bought Sara Lee pie in a pie baking contest.

"Pre-made" Pinewood Derby cars? How is that allowed? That completely subverts the whole point of the thing. That's like entering a store-bought Sara Lee pie in a pie baking contest.

Yep...pretty sad. The BSA now supposedly outlaws them in their official rules, but my nephew competes and they still show up...it's up to the troop leaders to enforce the "rules" and many of them simply don't.

It's definitely generational. Being 29, I'm the only person my age I personally know who enjoys this hobby, and most of my friends would rather oogle a boring lambo than enjoy the beauty and history of a classic. However, you have to consider, how many of my generations (millennials) parents raised them on anything other than the internet and a TV? I was limited to one hour a day of TV (or video games, my choice) when I was young...my dad made me go outside and encouraged me to hunt, fish, and do otherwise useful things rather than sit around in front of a screen...however, every friend I have who I've known from very young and spent their youth indoors "interacting" with electronics full time are the ones who now can't get their nose out of their phones. The few others who were raised in a similar environment that I was have less reclusive hobbies and tend to venture away from technology more. I often feel like an outsider at work because I work in IT, but don't play video games or spend my evenings glued to Netflix, and that stuff is about all my co-workers talk about. I remember when I was young we used to participate in Pinewood Derby competitions...I was one of the only people there who got the rectangle block and actually carved something out of it...most everyone else's parent's bought them the pre-made ones that they stuck the pre-calibrated weights on and called it good.

Glad to have you aboard sir, and your comment is another one that is dead-on-target.

If kids aren't introduced to model-building, or at least encouraged to find their own interests beyond interacting with electronic pacifiers, most of them...not ALL...but most of them will pretty much do what their peers do, and what they've seen their parents do.

Parents who don't take the time to show kids there's a big ol' world out there full of all kinds of interesting things are really the ones to blame, if anyone has to be singled out.

Like scoutmasters who let pre-built Pinewood cars compete and don't enforce the rules, interest-free lazy adults make interest-free lazy kids.

I certainly have to give my OWN parents credit for introducing me to a wide variety of ideas, experiences, and places, and for that part of my childhood I'm very grateful.

Having parents expose their kids to the Big Wide World out there? God forbid. Even if a family goes traveling, so many have SUVs with built in video devices now days. Rather than encouraging the kid to look out the window and interact with others in the vehicle. One just hands them a set of headphones and puts on a movie. It's easier that way. You don't have to listen to them complaining about being bored. Or learning about something yourself if the kids should ask a question about what they're seeing, that you don't know much about either. God forbid the little rug rats whine, fight, or ask questions. Just let them watch the latest Disney flick for the umpteen time.

Who has time to interact with their kids. Today both parents are probably working. They're busy with their own lives. They don't want or have the time to discipline their kids. Plus everything is unsafe out there in the real world. Let the kid play with something that requires a knife? Or messy glues and paint? Where is the reset button if they should screw something up? Make a mistake?

And look how boring the modern cars and trucks are. Most cars look just like Toyotas now. Trucks are not really trucks. They're are just big replacements for the full-size cars that were regulated out of existence by things like CAFE standards. Open the hood and try to figure out how to work on or modify a modern vehicle. It can be done. But it's not cheap or easy. How many fathers take their kids out and show them how to work on a car? It's easier now just to take it to tech. Not a mechanic. But a technician. That's what they called them now days. Look at the cost of a modern car. The electronics, safety equipment, etc. It's not easy or cheap to just buy and fix up a more modern newer car. Especially for a kid. Who has the time and money? And several government regulations will not let you tamper or modify certain things. It's no wonder that most kids have no interest in cars today. I'm shock how many kids I work with that are not even interested in getting their drives license when they turn 16 now. It was a right of passage in my day. And we couldn't wait to get our first car. Even if it was some cheap beater we would have spent a little time and money fixing it up.

One last thing. I raised three kids. When ever we went someplace in a vehicle I turned off even the radio. And encouraged them to talk with me and others. I still do that with them and other friends who ride with me today. On some long trips I may play the radio. But, in general I want to hear what other people I'm spending time with have to say. I love the art of conversation. The people I hang around with are interesting and fun. Much more interesting than the same old songs I've heard a million times before on the radio. Or some idiot talk show who insults my intelligents with their far left or right wing drivel.

And encouraged them to talk with me and others. I still do that with them and other friends who ride with me today. On some long trips I may play the radio. But, in general I want to hear what other people I'm spending time with have to say. I love the art of conversation. 

Conversation is definitely a lot art these days, among all ages. So many people are soooo afraid of having an opinion that's different than someone else's, or so afraid of "offending" somebody who's incapable of dealing with the fact that not everyone thinks like them, that people simply don't talk anymore. Even when people are "talking," so many have so little to say. Sure, they talk about the weather, or what happened on The Walking Dead, or what the latest celebrity gossip is, or whether the Mustang or Camaro is "better", or any number of other meaningless topics, but so few people actually have conversations that lead them to really get to know another person, or even themselves. And of course, it'd be the worse thing EVER to actually have a discussion with someone who you know shares a different point of view about something simply so you can try to understand where they're coming from...not so you can change your opinion, but simply to open your eyes to the fact that most issues, political or otherwise, aren't black-and-white and there's a whole other side to it with legitimate points...everybody has to be "right" and prove the other person "wrong." I guess I'm starting to rant...it's kind of hard not to with these types of discussions, haha! I guess my point is I wish more people would just slow down and enjoy the world we live in. Quit rushing through the day without any consideration for others. Quit disregarding everything you don't understand or agree with as petty or stupid. Learn a new language, understand a different culture, find a hobby you enjoy and can connect with people you never would have met otherwise, and actually talk to people about things that matter.

All this talk of technology and social media is fairly spot on, but can we also talk more about kit subjects out there? I was born in 1991 so I grew up around cars from the 80s and beyond. With the exception of AMT and Lindberg in the 90s (generally speaking), nobody has really focused much on those cars that I grew up around. The hobby is very centered on kits representing vehicles from the 1950s-1970s. I'm not knocking those subjects, and I know why companies choose to focus on these decades to appeal to the majority of model builders out there. However, it would be nice to have more contemporary/semi-contemporary subjects to focus on younger generations. Some great kits that fit this bill have been released these past few years, but it is clear where the focus of the model kit companies lie. I am always envious of the wide spectrum of time periods that the armor community has to work with, especially with modern subjects. 

Just my 2 cents. 

It seems to me that the younger folks are not really opposed to the idea of building a model, in fact, most I have known have tried it at least once. But, for many of the activities they have been involved in, they have, at the very least, received an award just for participating! No one wants to be responsible for telling a child that they didn't do very well, that might hurt their feelings and mess them up for life! And as all of us well know, model building takes a lot of time, and many failed attempts, to eventually become good at, the younger folks seem to get discouraged and give up on any activity that they don't look like an old pro at the first time they try it.

All this talk of technology and social media is fairly spot on, but can we also talk more about kit subjects out there? I was born in 1991 so I grew up around cars from the 80s and beyond. With the exception of AMT and Lindberg in the 90s (generally speaking), nobody has really focused much on those cars that I grew up around. The hobby is very centered on kits representing vehicles from the 1950s-1970s. I'm not knocking those subjects, and I know why companies choose to focus on these decades to appeal to the majority of model builders out there. However, it would be nice to have more contemporary/semi-contemporary subjects to focus on younger generations. Some great kits that fit this bill have been released these past few years, but it is clear where the focus of the model kit companies lie. I am always envious of the wide spectrum of time periods that the armor community has to work with, especially with modern subjects. 

Just my 2 cents. 

That's a fair point. In my opinion the answer might be something along the lines of most modelers are car enthusiasts, and most car enthusiasts enjoy cars from the 70's and before more than newer ones, so that's where the larger market is. However, I think we're seeing the beginning of a turn...Revell for instance is releasing more and more modern cars...it takes a lot of time and money to release a completely new mold.

It seems there is a relatively small number of modelers my age (45) and under, and an even smaller number under 30, at least compared to the older crowd.  It's all likely due to the typical childhoods--if you don't get hooked on cars and car-related hobbies at a young age, you likely won't get into models...I recall being the only one of my peers in school that was into models, most everyone else I knew was into gaming---I dabbled in them (arcades and Atari at home), but was into models from about age 6 on...though once I got my Commodore 64 I became hooked on computers and technology (made it my college and grad school major and profession).  Generations after mine are even more into gaming and other electronic hobbies.   Also, having a Baby Boomer older brother that built models helped.

Edited by Rob Hall

We just had the Lone Star Roundup in Austin this past weekend. It had some of the best hot rods you could hope to see, mostly home built by young people who are recreating the culture of the 50s hot rodders and build cars reminiscent of the era . Some 20 or so years ago, the hot rod movement was in the same position as our hobby, with an aging (sorry) fan base. The Hot Rod magazine show coverage of the time featured generic Chevy engined cars with pastel paint and those crybaby dolls leaning against the fender. Then along came the rat rodder movement to shake things up and things began to change and grow.  I have been trying to get my kids interested in this hobby with no luck. They don't even seem to have any interest in 1:1 cars. Is that God showing his sense of irony? It would be nice it we could figure an angle to bring in new blood here as well.

Believe it or not , there are still a good amount of guys my age and younger building models,  shocking I know, but none of you see it because you chose not use social media like Facebook,  there are probably in the 100's of different types of modeling groups on Facebook, and in those groups, you have the younger generations taking part in the hobby via social media.   Because thats what they are use too,  forums dont see to be very popular to the younger generations, so keep that mind as well, they , chose social media over forums, and in some part, I dont blame, I have been choosing Facebook over forums as well a lot of time.  

One thing that is really grating my goat, is this nonsense about the younger generations growing up differently than yester year, well no kidding, every generation grows up differently , dare I say, with the times,  so of course they are growing up technology, thats just how it is, doesn't make it good, or bad, just how it is.  Heck, I grow with it and I still build models, but boy do I love my techno stuff, social media included, I like living in the current year. 

Thats my one and half cents,  your mileage may vary

Edited by martinfan5

You have to let the kids pick their own hobbies. B)

Yeah, but if they don't even know something like model building exists, how are they going to pick it?

Truth. I was at a little car show on the local square back in the fall. I overheard a cute young couple talking to one of the guys who had a car there. Somehow, they both (the kids) had made it into their 20s without realizing there was such a thing as an "old car" hobby, and were both just flabbergasted that machines 50 years old could even run, much less have lots of money and attention lavished on them, and be used regularly.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Believe it or not , there are still a good amount of guys my age and younger building models,  shocking I know, but none of you see it because you chose not use social media like Facebook,  there are probably in the 100's of different types of modeling groups oh Facebook, and in those groups, you have the younger generations taking part in the hobby via social media.   I would say most of them are building for fun, and its clear that many are not taking it seriously, and many are probably just weekend builders, so its not surprising that many are not going to attend hobby shows or contest.

One thing that is really grating my goat, is this nonsense about the younger generations growing up differently than yester year, well no kidding, every generation grows up differently , dare I say, with the times,  so of course they are growing up technology, thats just how it is, doesn't make it good, or bad, just how it is.  Heck, I grow with it and I still build models, but boy do I love my techno stuff, social media included, I like living in the current year. 

Thats my one and half cents,  your mileage may vary

Yes, I didn't mention Facebook, but there is definitely plenty of modeling content on there.  I love my technology also....and definitely like living in the present and future...living in the past in a dead end...

That's a fair point. In my opinion the answer might be something along the lines of most modelers are car enthusiasts, and most car enthusiasts enjoy cars from the 70's and before more than newer ones, so that's where the larger market is. However, I think we're seeing the beginning of a turn...Revell for instance is releasing more and more modern cars...it takes a lot of time and money to release a completely new mold.

Most 'old car enthusiasts', you mean..not all car enthusiasts are stuck in their father's or grandfather's era.....there are plenty of car enthusiasts that enjoy modern cars...

Yeah, but if they don't even know something like model building exists, how are they going to pick it?

It's not up to us to "guide" today's kids into choosing a particular hobby, any more than it was our parents' job to select our hobbies for us when we were kids.

Today's kids should be free to choose their own hobbies, regardless of what us "older guys" think they should be interested in.

It seems to me that the younger folks are not really opposed to the idea of building a model, in fact, most I have known have tried it at least once. But, for many of the activities they have been involved in, they have, at the very least, received an award just for participating! No one wants to be responsible for telling a child that they didn't do very well, that might hurt their feelings and mess them up for life! And as all of us well know, model building takes a lot of time, and many failed attempts, to eventually become good at, the younger folks seem to get discouraged and give up on any activity that they don't look like an old pro at the first time they try it.

And that is a problem, a lot of the model groups on Facebook wont allow anything other than "great job" being posted,  you cant offer advice unless the builder ask for it, so that are a lot very crappy models being posted on Facebook and its not getting any builder,  because, everyone is a freaking winner.

Most 'old car enthusiasts', you mean..not all car enthusiasts are stuck in their father's or grandfather's era.....there are plenty of car enthusiasts that enjoy modern cars...

No, I meant what I said. I realize that there are plenty of people who enjoy more modern cars, but the following for the classics is hugely more popular, if for no other reason than it's had more time to gain followers. 

And that is a problem, a lot of the model groups on Facebook wont allow anything other than "great job" being posted,  you cant offer advice unless the builder ask for it, so that are a lot very crappy models being posted on Facebook and its not getting any builder,  because, everyone is a freaking winner.

So why do you bother with Facebook?

Yes, I didn't mention Facebook, but there is definitely plenty of modeling content on there.  I love my technology also....and definitely like living in the present and future...living in the past in a dead end...

Question: why do so many of you younger guys have to attack anybody who makes a comparison between the way things are NOW and the way things were before? 

"Living in the past is a dead end"?. Yeah? Well, I gots my current tech AND I can keep something built 70 years ago running like a champ too. Carburetors and computers. Why does it have to be EITHER OR? Maybe an insecurity thing?

And you know, SOME tech really IS stupid.

It's not up to us to "guide" today's kids into choosing a particular hobby, any more than it was our parents' job to select our hobbies for us when we were kids.

Today's kids should be free to choose their own hobbies, regardless of what us "older guys" think they should be interested in.

Who said "guide"? I said help to make kids aware there's something more than sitting in front of an electronic pacifier.

Well, but is it "wrong" for people to not want/appreciate criticism? I mean, don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from and I completely agree that people need to grow some thicker skin sometimes, but not everyone who builds models wants to "perfect" it. I don't and have no interesting in building for competitions for example...my aim for improving my building skills is purely for my own satisfaction, but if someone is satisfied slapping some brushed-on paint and heavy glue and getting it done in a day, if they're enjoying themselves, power to 'em. 

So why do you bother with Facebook?

Because that is where people are, where my friends and family are.  Facebook has it's negatives, but the positives out weigh the negatives.  There is so much content of interest on Facebook--things that interest me from model car groups, diecast collecting groups, car groups, dog rescue groups, terrier enthusiast groups, etc...it's taken the place of Usenet news groups (80s-90s) and Yahoo groups (00s) for interests...

Edited by Rob Hall