Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Squad Rod" '79 Nova

Can-Con

2 hours ago, Faust said:

I don't know why they produce this stuff in such small numbers

They don't want to get stuck with a ton of dead stock, so it's a guessing game on their part regarding how many kits to produce in the production run. If the kit sells well, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Nova Street Machine appear in the next few years:

mpcnovasm.jpg.16935bfbe4d67a47dc9c99fcc9c2e4bc.jpg

1 hour ago, Casey said:

If the kit sells well,

It didn't sell well... It's discontinued agian. I thought there would be more interest in the kit but I've only seen one or two posted here, one was a conversion to a 4 door. Amazing work too... Maybe I'll start an on the workbench thread with one of mine, I have many... I have altered the 69 Revell Chassis to fit these cars. I'd like to share my work with anyone to inspire them to build it. I get tired of seeing my work would love to see someone else's vision for this bodystyle.

17 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

It didn't sell well... It's discontinued again

I don't think that's how it works with Round2. I believe they produce a certain number of a particular kit, say 5,000, then send them to either larger mass retailers or distributors, who send them on to smaller sellers. If the kit is a good seller, there will be few available within a short time period from when the kit was first available on the retail level. The longer it's available to easily find and purchase at the retail level, and the more which as still available after many months have passed since the kit's initial release, the poorer its sales numbers. All this is assuming the same number of kits produced, so maybe not 100% accurate, but we've all seen some kits sell out quickly and become difficult to find, while others are easily found and usually for less than their original retail price.

Since Round2 only does one run (IIUC) of each particular kit at a time, they would need to set the molds up in the molding machine a second time if they want to produce more kits. I suspect this is what happened with the AMT AMC Gremlin kits, having three distinct production runs between the three variants, with some minor changes between each. If the Nova kit is now difficult to find, after being released in September 2016 (so street date maybe two months later or so), I bet it was a decent seller:

MPC851ChevyNovaSquadRod.thumb.jpg.d8503f01b355deaab2d76ed3d85510a8.jpg

There are two available on eBay right now for $23, too, and even one in Canada.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

I bet it was a decent seller:

Hey Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure how things worked. I had seen a post on here that stated Round 2 had stopped making them... Nice to know It may have a second or third run... I haven't seen many of them either.. I check HL periodically they have a spot on the shelf listed for it but have never seen the kit itself there.

I found the original post and it reads...

"Well it seems it is a discontinued model and pretty much out of stock in many locations.  Some places have even begun to charge the 'silly prices' for the kit. I believe this was re-popped by Round 2, so I'm a bit surprised it was only a limited time offering.  Oh, well"...

On the Ventura: if you want to see some good parts photos, there's an NOS '77 kit being parted on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ftrt=901&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_sop=10&_sadis=15&_byseller=1&_stpos=60062-7542&_odkw=&_saslop=1&_fss=1&_dmd=1&_sofindtype=0&_sasl=vintagemodelcarparts&_osacat=0&_ftrv=1&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xventura.TRS0&_nkw=ventura&_sacat=0

Re the Nova: About 15 years ago I stopped in at the St. Vincent DePaul thrift store in Lincoln Heights (L.A.) to check out the donated cars. I spotted a very clean, straight '75 Nova LN four-door sedan; it was a one-year-only model with a full velour bucket seat/floor shift console interior and the 350 Quad combo. Mileage showed 50k and it looked it; only downside was it was refrigerator white with blue interior. The upside was they only wanted $500 for it. A friend of mine was looking for a Seventies Nova so I told him about it and he wasted no time in grabbing it - he still has it today.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I have a vague recollection of having to have some kind of rear spring work done on my Omega at some point. I don't remember exactly what the problem was, but I remember taking it to a spring shop. 

Probably this was broken. Common on these cars.  

images (10).jpg

7 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

The Pontiac listed here on Ebay is a 77...The Pontiac Ventura that the Nova was modified from is actually a 75 year model. The 77 Pontiac was tooled from the original 75 car also.  

Yes, It started out as the '75 and was updated to the '76 and then the '77. 

THEN,  Mid-year 1977 MPC modified it into the '77 Nova. Which was in turn issued as a '78 and then modified into the '79.

This is really interesting info on the Nova.  I thought it might have been derived from the Ventura, but didn't know for sure as the model cars available in that time period were pretty lame for the most part.  I had basically quit buying models for several years by then. 

Faust mentioned how difficult it was to predict model cars accurately with last minute changes from the automakers.  Besides the incorrect Jo-Han '74 442 promo and MPC's '75 Ventura with the hood scoop, I had MPC '76 Corvette convertible and Jo-han '68 Ambassador convertible kits.  An actual car was not produced for either one of these!