Model Cars Magazine Forum

Prince has died at 57

sjordan2

Posted on Yahoo, and ET

A source very close to the situation tells ET that Prince had the flu that turned into walking pneumonia before his death, and he was also dealing with a hip injury and had a problem with the pain killer, Percocet. The source says his issue with the powerful narcotic went back years, beginning shortly after he had hip replacement surgery in 2010.

I don't know about drugs, but there were reports that he had some sort of flu, if that was anything like what I had a few weeks ago, I'm not surprised.  It not only got me, but both parents and most of my coworkers and our bosses all ended up with it, and ended up having to work with it in top of that!  Most of us have an occasional cough except Mom, who's is still rattley and still has partial loss of her voice and is still somewhat miserable.

I had the flu in March and was treated before 48 hrs and I had never been sick like that before in my life and almost went to the hospital. I also get Hydrocodone for MS pain but I use less then 30 pills a  a year because any man made synthetic drug will slow down your breathing and I have a high pain tolerance. So I can see there might be a combination going on. I have not watched the news since this morning so I don't know any latest news.

Hey, if Led Zeppelin can steal other people's material, why should the common man be held to a different standard? 

I am so totally shamed now. I promise, first thing at work Monday I will go around and tell everyone I showed that to that it came from Agent G. :rolleyes:

Last night SNL did a full 90-minute tribute to Prince. Reran all of his SNL performances, many introduced by Jimmy Fallon (some quite tediously), and a bonus never-aired video of his jam at the SNL 40th Anniversary show after-party. They filled the time with Fred Armison's "Prince Show" sketches. If you're a Prince fan and you missed it, and you have on-demand, you might want to check it out. It might be available on the NBC website, too.

• 1 month later...

Autopsy reports that he died of a "self-induced" overdose of opioids (pain killer).

Read that earlier today. Perscription meds are are a SOB. Another star gone due to them. These Dr's are too quick to hand them out like candy. I know he was in pain and had physical issues. But I'm sure there was a better way to go about dealing with the pain and doing something to correct it, rather just shove pills down his throat.

Read that earlier today. Perscription meds are are a SOB. Another star gone due to them. These Dr's are too quick to hand them out like candy. I know he was in pain and had physical issues. But I'm sure there was a better way to go about dealing with the pain and doing something to correct it, rather just shove pills down his throat.

Looks like he shoved the pills down his throat by himself.

What I read is that he had severe hip pain for years and really needed hip replacement surgery, but his religion didn't allow surgery. And he was apparently pretty devout so he refused to have the surgery that he needed and instead relied on strong pain killers to get by. Not exactly the doctor's fault if the patient refuses to have the surgery he needs. And not the doctor's fault when the patient takes more medication than prescribed.

Looks like he shoved the pills down his throat by himself.

What I read is that he had severe hip pain for years and really needed hip replacement surgery, but his religion didn't allow surgery. And he was apparently pretty devout so he refused to have the surgery that he needed and instead relied on strong pain killers to get by. Not exactly the doctor's fault if the patient refuses to have the surgery he needs. And not the doctor's fault when the patient takes more medication than prescribed.

Your right. I forgot about his refusal of surgery because of his beliefs. I don't think it was so much the surgery as it was the blood transfusion that would be required that kept him from doing the surgery. Still a shame.

I thought that I had read somewhere a while back where you could donate you own blood ahead of time and they could preserve it until you had your operation.  I could always be wrong.

Edit:  Well, I found online that you can donate blood for yourself but it has to be done right before your operation so I guess it is limited to one pint.  Not sure how much you need for a hip replacement.

Edited by KeithJackson
New info

Apparently Prince didn't know that.

I can imagine how debilitating chronic pain can be. And I can easily see how Prince took a bit too much pain killer, if he was in constant pain, as has been reported. Someone should have given him a heart-to-heart talking to and gotten him to get the hip surgery he needed. Then again, he may have kept his situation private and told no one. In any case, it's a real shame. The guy was incredibly talented and would have had a lot of years ahead of him.