Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your fav writer..

花火

Recently my head full of literature things. I am preparing for a exam and one of my book is Selected Readings in English and American Literature.

Just wondering you guys, so who's your English or American writer?writers?

for me, I really like that poem write by Ezra Pround, named 'In a Station of the Metro'.

In a Station of the Metro

The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
Petals on a wet, black bough.

I really have the same experience, wherever in metro in Nanjing, or Metro in Taipei, or in Tokyo. Couldn't really remember those faces, still feel the same with Ezra.

Also...by studying this book i have to do lots of research, it's truely intersting, for instance, that is Ezra Pround. No matter he was fake it or not, he spent lots of time in madhouse...

So what about you guys...

For me they'd be Ray Bradbury (may I suggest prior to installing your Giant Ultra High Def. 3D Room sized TV, you may want to read his short story "The Veldt") and because I enjoy a good laugh Richard Armour.

Edited by Crazy Ed

General fiction, James Gardner (not the mystery writer, the other one); science fiction - Ben Bova, Allan Steele, Kim Stanley Robinson, Robert Charles Wilson; theater - Antonin Artaud, Samuel Beckett, Peter Brook; history (currently writing) - Giles Milton, Simon Winchester.

I have. Great humorist. His book "Rhubarb" was adapted into a movie, starring Ray Milland. I have the DVD. :) 

A rare work of fiction from him--maybe his only novel. His real-life stuff was better. He was sort of the Andy Rooney or Morley Safer or maybe P.J O'Roarke of his day.

Just thought of another good one: Peter Hathaway Capstick. He was a stockbroker turned African professional hunter and wrote a number of excellent books on African hunting, animals, safaris, and related topics. I have absolutely NO interest whatsoever in African hunting, but his writing is so good that I've read them all, most several times, just for the writing itself. Hemingway had nothing on Capstick.

WAY too many to list, but one of my favorite genres is older crime fiction. Earle Stanley Gardner, Micky Spillane, Raymond Chandler, Daschiell Hammett...for the US guys.

Everything ever written by F.Scott Fitzgerald. Some, maybe most Hemingway. Ayn Rand, both her fiction and non-fiction. P.G Wodehouse, John Mortimer, Daniel Silva, John Connolly, Michael Connelly, James Ellroy, Ian Rankin, John le Carre...

Science and SF: Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Ray Kurzweil, Larry Niven, Keith Laumer...

Best race-car prep books on the planet: Carroll Smith

Vehicle technical: Sir Harry Ricardo, Michael Costin, Len Terry, William Milliken, Joseph Katz...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Can't say. Haven't seen Capstick's granddaughters, if any. And Hemingway's never really did all THAT much for me.

Margaux paid for lunch once after she borrowed fifty from me. 

Geez, you guys are so well read. I haven't read a novel since high school, when I had to. Not a reader of fiction at all. No time.

Did you have to read "Silas Marner"? That book was so ponderous that even Cliff Notes were of no use.