Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1967 Impala Super Sport - Fairly Stock build

mademan

I am in the process of building my 1:1 Medium Maui Blue 67 SS, so I decided to do a model build at the same time. I had a local paint supply mix me up the paint which came out great. I then foiled the car and hit it with a 1k clear.

Interior is done to represent the blue vynil, and the floor was flocked.

My 1:1 will have a 396, whereas the AMT kit uses a 427 (which to the eye is the same) I also used a Resin aftermarket flat hood instead of the incredibly rare in the 1:1 world 427 hood. Engine is detailed with a MCG Photo etch set and will feature a Fireball Modelworks Q-jet and 275/60/15s on MRC cragars. Ive added a FatKidd prewired distributor also. As with all of my builds Mold lines were sanded and removed prior to painting.

Resin "Organ" speakers in the package tray

Very nice build, paint and foil look perfect. You are fortunate to find a '67 in such good shape. I see you have the somewhat rare wood steering wheel and full gauges. The Multiplex stereo was a fairly new option also. As you probably know the domed hood with the simulated vents was an option on the SS package and was not standard on even the 427 cars. That may be why you just don't see them often.   

Nice work. I had a girlfriend that had one in white with the 427. I had a 66 Impala 396 4 Speed, but the 67 was a scary fast car. I want to build that car in model form, but I can't leet the wife know what I'm doing. I have a lot of good memories from that car.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I didn't see this one until now. Looks great! '67 Impala is a very nice car and you're doing an excellent job with this. Where are those valve covers from? I would need a couple of sets for future projects...