Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pontiac - 1965 2+2 - First build in 40 years

RestoModGuy

This is probably one of my favorite builds. This is my first build after 40+ years of not touching a model car since I was teenager. It was my passion then and this build re-ignited that passion for the hobby again last year June. 

Happy to share and see all of your builds as well. This is such a great expression of art we share, post your first "back-in-the-hobby-again" build if you have one.

IMG_9845.thumb.JPG.5463e93bdae58f04a2eda

IMG_9858.thumb.JPG.f283c6f51da6f248d6a0f

IMG_9860.thumb.JPG.a0ddbeaaf184d152c1bf9

IMG_9873.thumb.JPG.ffcf922c55ca40b95fe54

IMG_9913.thumb.JPG.521eeaa74e8a67ee124cf

My first BMF work. Didn't have this back in the 70's, love this stuff!

IMG_9915.thumb.JPG.9fb5f13382d9425055d64

The glass gave me a fit on this one. I learned new tricks after this build to keep this from happening.

IMG_9882.thumb.JPG.5b151f05e951ffa6a1d70

A little engine detail, not really my favorite part of the building process though

IMG_9880.thumb.JPG.8f5f32bb36aa4a2fc85c7

I built the 92' GP as a tribute to one I owned new in 92. Quite a contrast in almost 30 years how the GP evolved. I grew up with Pontiac's gotta love PMD

IMG_9899.thumb.JPG.a4861655f0d9abd8cd82f

Fantastic work!!

But oh how I loath that style of wheels!

Just a personal opinion, but the 8 lugs would look so much nicer on this otherwise beautiful "mostly" stock build!

Some period mags like a set of Cragar SS wheels would look nice as well.

Steve

Thanks Steve... Funny you say that... I'm not a fan of those wheels either, but just getting back in the hobby, I wanted wire wheels and those were the first ones I found that were big enough. Since last year I have acquired new period correct wire wheels that will be going on and will improve the look. Coming soon and will post an update.

Thanks Steve... Funny you say that... I'm not a fan of those wheels either, but just getting back in the hobby, I wanted wire wheels and those were the first ones I found that were big enough. Since last year I have acquired new period correct wire wheels that will be going on and will improve the look. Coming soon and will post an update.

Beautiful!

Can't wait to see the transformation!

These '65s are really beautiful cars!

I just sent out chrome for re-plating on a '66 &  a '67 Bonneville, & now after seeing your build, I can't wait to get started on one of them.

Steve

Sweet! Looking forward to building this one even more now.

I returned to building cars just last fall/winter. This was my first one in also about 40 years, and also my first use of BMF... and also a Pontiac:

Olds%20442%201_zpsrsvlthg0.jpg

Edited by Harry Joy

Excellent job. The color really compliments the lines of the car, which is one of my all time favorites from the '70's. I know I'm in the minority but the wheels, although quite large, don't look  too bad. Can you tell us what wheels those are? I'm looking for a set of wires for a 1970 T-Bird and trying to avoid the "clown" look. Looking at the choices on line it's hard to tell how big or small the wheels actually are. Can't wait to see which wheels you settled on. Great job and welcome back to the hobby.

I agree, the clown wheels have to go. Such a beautiful car (and model) deserves a classier set of wheels.

LOL!!!!!!

That's how those wheels are known around here. 

Clown wheels or electrician wheels, as the tires do look like some loops of electric tape. 

The car is fine, and very well done tough. 

Nice , clean build there , Jim ! Welcome back to the hobby !

While I'm no fan of modern wheels / tyres on old(er) vehicles , your attempt isn't offencive in the least . Mainly , I love the colour choices ; those big old cigar smokin' G-bodies look so nice in medium-to-dark metallic colours .

Super work on that 421 Tri-Power !