Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mako Shark

Snake45

Okay, that makes sense. Plus I knew that the Sting Ray was painted red at some point. Was the movie the reason for that, I wonder? I know that was the reason for painting the Lincoln Futura red. So it showed up better on film, in the the movie It Started With a Kiss.

Edited by unclescott58

• 7 years later...

Sharks do not have metallic-sheen scales.  They have skin.

The lower part of a shark would be light gray (as one of the earlier photos shows), not silver or metallic or color shifting. The article above confirms that.  I have the promo (assembled) model and the lower part is factory-sprayed silver, which as we know is incorrect.

2 hours ago, PintoKING said:

This kit, the Make-Shark II, NEEDS to be reissued!

It was last available in the late 1980s, as the (blue) "Custom Corvette', MPC kit #6359, with wider tires and rims.

I built that 80s version as a teenager.  Would be nice to see it back in stock form w/ the correct wheels and tires.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Gee I always thought the story was that the fish in his office was a marlin and not a shark and they took the fish to match the colors instead of using shark colors.

greg

The story I heard was the head of the project (sorry the name escapes me) said paint it to look like the fish/shark in my office and they tried several times to get it right and failed. So they stole the fish/shark and painted it to match the car. 😋

20 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

The story I heard was the head of the project (sorry the name escapes me) said paint it to look like the fish/shark in my office and they tried several times to get it right and failed. So they stole the fish/shark and painted it to match the car. 😋

That's the story I have heard.  Pretty sure the fish was hanging in Bill Mitchell's office.

• Thanks 1

It was Bill Mitchell and his fish was stolen, painted to match the finished car, then returned to his office - without him being the least bit aware. Or so he let them believe. I've also heard he was fully aware of what they did - he was nobody's fool - and he actually admired their ingenuity, although he didn't let on.

• Like 2