Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Pinto Wagon Street Freak Showcar - Done!! 4-18

Impalow

Thank you for all the comments and compliments!  I truly appreciate them, and they keep me motivated!

How did you arrive at the final arc of your springs to achieve the height you wanted? 

I just drew an arc on a piece of paper, then bent the leafs to shape before gluing them together, once the glue had dried I was able to tweak the final shape to be somewhat similar.   It wasn't the most scientific process, but the final product turned out okay.

I have managed to get little spurts of bench time.. and made some progress.

Mocked up rear frame rails, added detail and all the suspension mounts.

Extended the front frame rails and smoothed the firewall, a few shock mounts away from spraying primer.

Made a lakewood style rollbar, that will be alcad chrome.

and finished up all the interior panels... i did clean up that raggedy dash panel after these photos.

Great job !  What scrapbook cutter are you using, and are you able to use the software that came with it, or do you have to purchase a different program?

Also what is the maximum thickness you can cut, and do you have to use the adhesive carrier for cutting?

Thanks for your time,

Jimmy

Thank for all the comments and compliments guys!!!  

Great progress ..... I can't wait to see it in person.  What's the upholstery material your using again ?

Steve

Hey Steve! I'm using this stuff... Picked it up at Family Hobby when they were closing up.

Great job !  What scrapbook cutter are you using, and are you able to use the software that came with it, or do you have to purchase a different program?

Also what is the maximum thickness you can cut, and do you have to use the adhesive carrier for cutting?

Thanks for your time,

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy!   I am using the Silhouette portrait cutter... I draw everything in adobe illustrator CS2, export as a .dxf file, then import it into the silhouette software.  You can draw cut paths in pretty much any software that gives you a .dxf file export option. I use illustrator cause I am comfortable in it.   I can cut up to .030, however its more of a score and snap operation for anything over .015.    I do use the adhesive backer, and its never been an issue.

I did a "ratrod" project last year that I really tried to showcase the cutter, and layering styrene.. check it out here:

fun little update!

scratchbuilt some shocks..  (brackets still need rounded/sanded to shape but you get the idea)

and the rears..

Then its header time...

one side done-ish..

and then another one... gonna make the collectors tonight.. getting pretty close to primer on the non-body related parts

Love these pics! I need to make the same type of headers. What did you use to heat them up? 

That is actually an interesting story.. I'm not using heat, I am using a different type of styrene rod than just typical evergreen.  I get this stuff off eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STYRENE-ROUND-ROD-120-PIECE-ASSORTMENT-LOT-6-SIZES-PIPE/122094423448?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37570%26meid%3D2be1c9a6a5a74c38acfdf6022ada2dc9%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D111889933610

I stumbled on this on accident, it bends and holds its shape without heat.. The only downfall is, it doesn't glue well with normal styrene glue (I only use CA on it), and sometimes the pieces are not uniform in diameter from end to end.  I have purchased this 120 piece assortment, and recently purchased just 120 pieces of the .080 in a custom auction from him.   The diameter thing is a bit of a bummer, but once you are aware of it, you can pick and choose pieces so its not much of an issue.

I am a really big fan of this stuff, I have never had much luck using heat. 

That is actually an interesting story.. I'm not using heat, I am using a different type of styrene rod than just typical evergreen.  I get this stuff off eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STYRENE-ROUND-ROD-120-PIECE-ASSORTMENT-LOT-6-SIZES-PIPE/122094423448?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37570%26meid%3D2be1c9a6a5a74c38acfdf6022ada2dc9%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D111889933610

I stumbled on this on accident, it bends and holds its shape without heat.. The only downfall is, it doesn't glue well with normal styrene glue (I only use CA on it), and sometimes the pieces are not uniform in diameter from end to end.  I have purchased this 120 piece assortment, and recently purchased just 120 pieces of the .080 in a custom auction from him.   The diameter thing is a bit of a bummer, but once you are aware of it, you can pick and choose pieces so its not much of an issue.

I am a really big fan of this stuff, I have never had much luck using heat. 

Dang, that's a game changer. 

Thank you guys!!  

I have never shown my "technique" for making header collectors, so i sort of detailed it here...

Mark and cut headers to length.

Sand the ends flat and soften the four corners of the rod, Then cut small pieces of aluminum tubing one end nice, the other end rough sanded. CA glue the ends in place with pretty decent amount of glue.

Then cut small pieces of heat shrink, being mindful of how long you want your collectors to be. Line up one end to the end of the tubing and get out the heat gun.. Use just enough heat so the heat shrink does its job, you don't want to melt/warp the header.   While its still hot, I like grab a toothpick and make little indents at the top of the collector.

And that's pretty much it.... a shot of primer usually gets of the texture of the heatshrink... these are getting some alclad hopefully soon.

Thank for all the comments and compliments guys!!!  

Hey Steve! I'm using this stuff... Picked it up at Family Hobby when they were closing up.

DC8A0481-D116-4BAE-A04B-2F27F38AAC93.jpg

Thanks Jimmy!   I am using the Silhouette portrait cutter... I draw everything in adobe illustrator CS2, export as a .dxf file, then import it into the silhouette software.  You can draw cut paths in pretty much any software that gives you a .dxf file export option. I use illustrator cause I am comfortable in it.   I can cut up to .030, however its more of a score and snap operation for anything over .015.    I do use the adhesive backer, and its never been an issue.

I did a "ratrod" project last year that I really tried to showcase the cutter, and layering styrene.. check it out here:

I remember

I remember seeing that build, it was really nice. Seems a lot more economical way to go than a laser cutter.

Thanks for taking time to reply.