Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is your Favorite Auto or Truck Program??

If I were to classify the auto shows, I like the ones that make me feel like I am learning something.  Watching guys do a half  $$$ed job of slapping something together really doesn't appeal to me.  I am the same way with home improvement shows.  I like to see people applying their craft at a very high level and telling us, without arrogance, how they do it.  To that end Gas Monkey, House Crashers and others don't fall into that classification.  Phantom Works, Wheeler Deals and Holmes on Homes fall into that group. 

I like Jay Leno, but even still I don't watch his show.

I was at a club meeting last night where that Brian Johnson show was on. Not for me.

I gave up on watching all the car shows. Either way too scripted/fake or just too many cars that I will never have a chance to have. I personally don't enjoy watching other people having fun if I can't partake as well.

About all I watch on TV anymore is the news, and that is only if I happen to be in the living room when my wife is watching.

Russ

Personally I can't stand 90% of the scripted "reality" shows out there these days but consider Jay Leno's Garage to be the real deal as he is a well known car guy and make an exception for Wheeler Dealers because it does seem like it started as the genuine article and has maintained at least some link to the real world. What I really enjoy is all of the obscure motorsports coverage on MAVtv, I mean where else can you see drag boats and tractor pulls back to back (YouTube doesn't count).

Restoration Garage is the only one I'll watch.

A real shop, with real employees and very little drama, except for the kind found every day in the restoration business. 

The shop is The Guild Of Automotive Restorers, a world-class facility, David Grainger, one of the owners, knows cars, customers, employees and day-to-day life in the business like few others.

And the cars... !

My Classic Car followed by Jay Leno's Garage. Mecum has the best auctions. Barrett Jackson is not as good as it used to be. Too many side features and not enough cars.

I think My Classic Car with the commercials and sponsor segment is too short. Your right about Barrett Jackson and way too many commercials...

We cant get many of the US car shows over here, but I do like Chasing Classic cars, as for our own shows Wheeler Dealers and Car SOS are very watchable, tried to watch Fast & Loud but I find Richard very hard to watch, Misfit garage was a little better but those last two shows are too "staged" for my liking.

Online I really enjoy Jay Lenos garage, Muscle car of the week on V8TV, My classic car with Dennis Gage, Classic Restos (Australian) and if you've never checked it out have a look at My Car Story with Lou Costabile.

Edited by Mr Stock
Spelling

Wheeler Dealers -  I know parts of it are just as scripted as the rest, but Edd China's an incredible mechanic.  I actually learn useful stuff watching that show. Loved the episode where Mike was trying to low-ball an old lady with a '67 Camaro in Calif. and she wouldn't back down on the price.

Chasing Classic Cars - I think it's great when Carini is finding old cars in barns and garages. Not so much when he's hobnobbing at the uber-rich auctions and car shows.

Leno is good. If you're in the Los Angeles area, drop into the AutoBooks store in Burbank (Magnolia Blvd).  Leno sometimes visits. I was there once when he pulled up outside in the 1910 Baker Electric.  He was very gracious, and spent quite a bit of time giving autographs and talking to people.  You'll want to visit that store anyway. It sells nothing but car and aviation books, and has a lot of rare and obscure stuff.  Other famous Car Guys sometimes visit the store too, like Ed Iskenderian and Gene Winfield.

Worst Car Show Ever - "Desert Car Kings."  I'll never forget those knuckleheads "restoring" a '62 Ford Galaxie.  They pulled the whole interior out of a '64 Galaxie and crammed it into the '62.  Because it "looked better."  They also yanked out the original 292 engine and replaced it with a 352 from their junk pile.

Edited by Mike999
error

Worst Car Show Ever - "Desert Car Kings."  I'll never forget those knuckleheads "restoring" a '62 Ford Galaxie.  They pulled the whole interior out of a '64 Galaxie and crammed it into the '62.  Because it "looked better."  They also yanked out the original 292 engine and replaced it with a 352 from their junk pile.

Or when they just happened to knock the rear window for the Barracuda off the stand onto the floor after talking about how hard to find it is. No matter, they found another!

Anybody else like Ian Roussel on Full Custom Garge? Very little drama but some very creative builds.

Yes, that is definitely one of the better ones.

Rides With Chuck has online content that's about the cars, not a lot of silly BS.

Here's a segment where Ian Roussel helps Voodoo Larry form a plexi rear window for a full custom. Though the crew is unsuccessful, there's a ton of knowledge here with no stupid interpersonal drama...just guys working together trying to accomplish something that's not easy.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I watch many car and truck shows but Graveyard Cars and Fantom Works are my favorites. I like watching Fast and Loud but wonder how much is fake because he sells the cars then you see most sold on Barrett Jackson. I did like Wrecks to Riches but was short lived...

I noticed that a lot of the cars he "sells" are still still hanging around the shop long after the deal was made. I like the show, but I too wonder how much is fake..

Chasing Cars with Wayne Carini is probably my most watched. I like the cars and event coverage. Ass Monkey Garage is the worst and Richard Rawlings can go squat on a cactus...he is just a coked up wannabe. Legendary Motorcars is ok but Peter Klutt's Canadian accent is like finger nails on the chalkboard...arggh.

I have like My Classic Car for a long time, way back when it was on TNN, I think it was called that still. I remember watching all those car and truck shows on TNN. I really remember the Motorsports Calvacade, watching monster trucks, swamp buggies, drag races, hill shooters, mud drags and all that. 

Now I watch Counting Cars, I like Danny and his taste in things. My Classic Car, Jay Leno Garage, I watch Fast n Loud from time to time, I cannot stand Richard, but I like Aaron. I didn't like the guys at Misfit Garage, when they worked at GMG. Bitchin Rides is pretty good. I tried to get into Diesel Brothers, too much script, from the get go. I really liked Vegas Rat Rods.

are we related ?? lol

I use to like Monster Garage with Jesse James. That was before all the current reality shows. He would come up with the design and average builders a got to be on the show. There were some neat things built and good fights.

Its still one of my favorite shows to watch on Dvd.