Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Philosophical Conversation

JollySipper

that's fine, too. most people i've known who have been in bad (i'm not going to be graphic) situations, are pretty closed lipped about it even in their living room among friends. it's not something which they are proud or even feel the need to discuss. i am vietnam era old and thank my stars i never go drafted. i've know people who have had combat experience and they didn't/ don't have any need to "take it to the street" after the fact.

what is scary, is the inability to see how inappropriate the entire conversation is in this venue. we are not Styrene Soldiers of Fortune.get some victim trauma support/ therapy if needed, change the medications, but don't bring it to the hobby room where we come to un-lax.

...what is scary, is the inability to see how inappropriate the entire conversation is in this venue. we are not Styrene Soldiers of Fortune.get some victim trauma support/ therapy if needed, change the medications, but don't bring it to the hobby room where we come to un-lax.

Scary? Sorry you're scared. It's a scary world if you live in reality. This is the "off topic" area. If you don't like the topic, YOU don't have to read it or participate.

You're constantly sniping with your inane psychobabble comments that have NOTHING to do with modeling, even in the midst of modeling threads....and for that matter, I've NEVER seen you add anything of relevance TO any modeling thread based on personal experience. No photos, no technical help, no WIP material, no under-glass...nothing.

I did not initiate the direction this thread took, but I added what I considered to be relevant commentary to try to put into human, up-close-and-personal perspective some of the opinions that were voiced, and to remind people that unfounded opinions based on nothing but hearsay are worth just that. Nothing.

When YOU become the final arbiter as to what's discussed here, I'll leave. Until then, I'll defer to the authorities whose position it is to make the call.

...I'm not sure what to do.............. :mellow:

So, we can dance around topics like good-and-evil, right-and-wrong, life-and-death...as long as it's hypothetical and opinions voiced are not not based on actual occurrences.

But bring bring in a real and very personal experience, not, mind you, a graphic or sensationalized experience, to make a specific and relevant point, and that's cause for alarm?

I don't get it.

When I give someone technical advice on how to do something with his model, it's based on my own personal experience...not something I "heard" somewhere, or discussed with other people who have never done it.

What's the difference, here, in principle?

I believe in other dimensions......

One version of "string theory" suggests 10 dimensions, another suggests 11 dimensions, and another one suggests 26. These "extra dimensions" are used as aids in mathematical modeling of our perceived 4 dimensional world (time being the accepted observed 4th dimension), but it may be that there are actually more than the 4 accepted dimensions of spacetime that have escaped detection so far. Some people argue for an infinite number of dimensions, based on a belief in an infinite number of "parallel realities" or lines of alternate probability. An infinite number of parallel realities would of course necessitate an infinite number of dimensions...times 4. ;)

One version of "string theory" suggests 10 dimensions, another suggests 11 dimensions, and another one suggests 26. These "extra dimensions" are used as aids in mathematical modeling of our perceived 4 dimensional world (time being the accepted observed 4th dimension), but it may be that there are actually more than the 4 accepted dimensions of spacetime that have escaped detection so far. Some people argue for an infinite number of dimensions, based on a belief in an infinite number of "parallel realities" or lines of alternate probability. An infinite number of parallel realities would of course necessitate an infinite number of dimensions...times 4. ;)

No wonder I can't get my stash organized!

I was in a similar situation as Bill, and a bit jaded from having been robbed twice in retail situations.  My wife and I were asleep in bed in our first house. I was in my late 20s. It was a small house so the front door in the living room was on the opposite side of the bedroom wall our headboard was against. It was about 2:30 in the morning. We were dead asleep.  Both of us sat in bed bolt upright as we heard fumbling at our screen door. Then we heard the noisy hinges on our front door. Someone was in the house. 

Not being a gun owner, I grabbed the miniature baseball bat from under my night stand and headed towards the living room barefoot and in my underwear. The living room only had lamps, so there was no wall switch for me to throw to turn the lights on.  Across the dark room there was somebody. A hulk of a person larger than myself.  I shouted out and got a muffled response. There I was feeling small and unclothed as this person lumbered towards me.  If I had a gun I surely would have fired.  Right before the person got within swinging range, I heard a voice, "Tom, it's Brian."  Every bit of my person drained from my body. It was okay.

Yea, it was Brian my idiot friend. He was out drinking with a buddy who got pulled over, charged with a DWI and the car towed. The cops just told Brian to "take a hike" and he was within stumbling distance from my house.  When the door opened, either it was unlocked or the old wooden door allowed him to push in (we kept the screen door locked after that!), he thought he would quietly sneak in and sleep on the couch. But he had too much to drink and was noisy and stumbling about, so didn't work out too well.  I put him in my car and drove him home. The quicker this whole thing was over the better!  And man did I catch it from the wife!

New Jersey has some of the toughest gun laws in the country.  I didn't have a gun, half because I really had no interest and it wasn't a part of my upbringing, and half because the law made it tougher than getting a CDL license!  And it was a good thing.  Brian may have been shot dead and I would have had to live with it. 

Edited by Tom Geiger

that's fine, too. most people i've known who have been in bad (i'm not going to be graphic) situations, are pretty closed lipped about it even in their living room among friends. it's not something which they are proud or even feel the need to discuss. i am vietnam era old and thank my stars i never go drafted. i've know people who have had combat experience and they didn't/ don't have any need to "take it to the street" after the fact.

what is scary, is the inability to see how inappropriate the entire conversation is in this venue. we are not Styrene Soldiers of Fortune.get some victim trauma support/ therapy if needed, change the medications, but don't bring it to the hobby room where we come to un-lax.

???? I personally have seen nothing inappropriate in this entire conversation. The closest I feel we've have come, have been your comments. I've found this thread is very interesting. I don't agree or like several things I've read here. Somethings I've read have made me uncomfortable. But this okay. As long as we're willing to have an adult discussion on subject.

To your first paragraph above. Different people handle trauma in different ways. Your right that many vets, not just Vieman vets, will not talk about there experiences. It's taken me many years of therapy to talk to just about anybody about what happened to me in my service to this country. Which is something I more than likely will never share here. But, for many people sharing trauma can be a cathartic experience. And it can be use as a learning tool. Many great talks about and books about horrible things have been voiced and written about by perfectly healthy people though the ages.

I am not in Bill's shoes. Did he do the right thing or not in shotting that person? I don't really know. It sounds like he passed the scrutiny of the authorities. And I've read enough from him and had contact with him here to get the felling that he is a pretty decent guy. I did not find his story inappropriate or in bad taste. I found it sad and scary. But, I am an adult and I can handle sad and scary things. I hope I never get into a situation like he was in. But, since I've not been in that exact situation, I'm not willing to judge him on it. There are better people who can do that than I.

Since we got into other dimensions, I believe that we still know very little of about the universe which surrounds us. I also suspect that our brains are incapable of comprehending the actual composition of the universe.  I also suspect that partially because of that our brains do something to compensate, but that would be crossing the line into religion, so I won't continue.

If energy cannot be created or destroyed, what explains a candle?

When you light a candle, have you not created heat energy?

When you blow out the candle, have you not destroyed heat energy?

Energy isn't "created" during burning.

Energy that was maintaining the chemical bonds in the substance being burned is simply released during the rapid chemical oxidation process we refer to as fire. The chemical bonds in the fuel are broken and part of the fuel combines with oxygen in the atmosphere. The energy left over from these bond-breakings and re-combining is what we experience as heat and light from the flame.

The "total energy" of the "system" remains constant.

Blowing out the candle simply stops the rapid oxidation process. The heat is not "destroyed". The reaction simply stops, and the energy liberated as heat up to that point diffuses into the surrounding air molecules.

These basic concepts really should be taught as part of elementary school science...at least they were when I was a kid. We had had this stuff by grade 6.

Even a nuclear explosion does not "create" energy. It releases energy that was previously being used to hold nuclei of atoms together, which is far far greater than the energy contained in the chemical bonds released by burning or conventional explosives.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I think that's turning potential energy into kinetic energy.............

Not exactly. Potential energy is a log at the top of a hill, poised to roll down. 

The energy released in burning is an active, quantifiable force that simply changes form from invisible forces holding a molecule together to heat and light.