Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Philosophical Conversation

JollySipper

"No plan survives first contact with the enemy."--I've seen it attributed to several famous generals.

I'm fairly certain the first documented attribution of the basic concept appears to be in The Art of War by Sun Tzu (among other spellings), around 450BC.

What's always fascinated me about it is that it's so obvious to anyone who's ever made any sort of plan, yet business lenders still stress the importance of carved-in-stone business-plans that are rarely worth the paper they're written on.

Flexibility and imagination are the two most important characteristics a leader needs in any sort of adversarial environment, military OR business.

Having a well defined desired outcome and an IDEA of how to accomplish it are mandatory, of course, but planning down to the detail level in advance of action is a total and complete waste of time.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Single most important one of all...and if everyone lived by this simple basic philosophy, there wouldn't be any need for any OTHER rules.

Treat Other People as You Want to be Treated.

The Golden Rule is maybe the single most important way of life in our society.  I adhere respectfully.

Just the others don't get it.

So true...

On a lighter note, a long time ago a big league football club nested in my city.  The famous coach said in pre-season ticket raising ventures;

"To hell with running around like a fool with the ball.  If God wanted us to play football like this, he'd have put a handle on it.  I want a passing game".

Single most important one of all...and if everyone lived by this simple basic philosophy, there wouldn't be any need for any OTHER rules.

Treat Other People as You Want to be Treated.

That doesn't work so well with masochists

"Tell me what you need, I'll tell you how to live without it."       My dad lived by this one!!       

In a small old fashioned grocery store we still have around the corner....small hand printed sign;

"If we don't have it,

you don't need it".

They have about everything too.

I can't really engage in philosophical discussion without broaching the subject of religion

that's dogma, not philosophy

There are some philosophical positions that argue for the idea that morality and ethics can't exist in the absence of religion, for example. There are other positions that maintain that morality is quite capable of being an independent concept, and some go so far as saying the "golden rule" is all you really need to live in harmony with your fellow creatures no matter what your particular spiritual beliefs are.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

There are some philosophical positions that argue for the idea that morality and ethics can't exist in the absence of religion, for example. There are other positions that maintain that morality is quite capable of being an independent concept, and some go so far as saying the "golden rule" is all you really need to live in harmony with your fellow creatures no matter what your particular spiritual beliefs are.

Too bad more people don't live in harmony with others because of their spiritual beliefs. They say that God will judge all in the end. So why do I need to worry about it until then? (Boy, I hope I'm not opening up can of worms with that one. That is not my intention.) I need to live my life to best that I can. And hope God forgives me and the other pathetic little creatures I share this world with.

And please don't tell me about your religious beliefs that your deity has already forgiven my sins. I already agree with that. But, forgiven or not, I don't feel it's my right to judge others if their religious or moral beliefs are different from mine. As long as it doesn't harm me or others. Again it's God's right to judge in the end. Whom ever that God maybe.