Model Cars Magazine Forum

Der beetle bus build off

disconovaman

• 2 weeks later...

My idea seems somewhat tame compared to some of the other things being done with this kit. :lol: Basically, I'll be doing a single cab pickup conversion by cutting down the top, and making the mechanicals a bit more realistic by swapping in some doodads from a Revell Beetle (old kit, not the RoG '68/'70 version from a few years ago). Actually... I've already done some of those things...

14379742_1808326976118026_38870865002321

The plan is for power to come from a (possibly turbocharged) Corvair pancake six- this one came from the AMT parts pack. Not sure if I'll use the factory VW steel wheels and slicks on the back, but I am kind of leaning toward using a stock-ish VW wheel of some sort. 

Edited by Chuck Most

Will be looking forward to seeing you in here with this Ray.

Ok....the details.

I picked this kit up a couple of weeks ago because it was IMO just too dang cool. This one will be a sideline build when I either get stumped on or waiting for paint to dry for my current aircraft project, in which right now I'm waiting on paint to dry and trying to figure out some fit issues with it so I figured I'd start this thread. I'm not going to get as crazy as I did with my '54 Chevy just because I don't want something that in depth. But I do want to have some fun with this one so here goes.

Der Beetle Bus:

Now when I opened up the box I looked at the body and knew right away that this body was not going to fly at all. The wheel base is ridiculously short for my tastes and it would look more like a cartoon van than an actual vehicle. Here's where we start:

and I just couldn't leave it like that so I bought another kit and went to work:

Cutting the bodies at just the right points yielded a wheel base that I could live with

Top view of the difference it made:

and the side view :

and so it starts. Here's the set up I want to go with. Slicks and skinnies with my favorite kind of wheels. The ol' Weld Draglites:

This..................is more like it.

Body work and smoothing things out will commence shortly. I have to lengthen the roof and the chassis to follow suit with the body so stay tuned..............

Look what showed up yesterday ! I just wanted to get in on the fun. I have a couple ideas of where I want to go with this but will pin it down before I start. I have to finish the 57 Ford AWB Gasser I am working on first.

Well get crackin' Ray, we want to see what ideas you've got.

Awesome! I'm glad more guys are getting on board with this build... so cool!

My build has taken a back seat for the moment because I'm not sure if my vision for the rake is goin as planned so I'm going to farm out the rest of the chop to our resident club chopper.

I'm also away from my bench as my wife had a conference meeting in Atlantic City and I tagged alone with her just for the heck of it, don't worry I brought along some models and supplies to keep me occupied while she's in the meetings. I also went to the local Olies up here and scored some unusual kits as well.

Any way here's a pic of my nightmare,  Almost looks like I made the cuts blindfolded huh?

20160930_024809.jpg