Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flea Market Find today

You're right, Andy, I've never seen one either. And, for $8, it is interesting. But, the very idea alone of the Smart, Prius, Isetta, and some others, to us guys that have been around good old-fashioned Detroit Iron for MANY years just seems WRONG!:P

Maybe I'll install a Boss 429 in it..... Hahahaha. Actually it is going to a gift to my 14 yo daughter. She thinks Smart cars are hysterical and will love building it

Maybe I'll install a Boss 429 in it..... Hahahaha. Actually it is going to a gift to my 14 yo daughter. She thinks Smart cars are hysterical and will love building it

That's very cool, the memories, and appreciation for her later on will be worth WAY more than the $8 you spent today!

I've never seen one of those either----very interesting!

I have to say however that I cringe each time I see them on the road. They can tout all day long how safe they are, but there just wouldn't be enough real estate around me for protection! 

And to think those things have the engine in the rear?? Yikes! :o

I believe the box you found is the only release that this kit had in North America. It also represents the european prototype rather then the car that was eventually sold here. Despite that it's a fun kit to build,  if you want to do something different.. I found that it fit better if you reduce the size of the snap tabs and built it as a glue kit. I built my first one as the coupe but have another one to do as a convertible someday.

You're right, Andy, I've never seen one either. And, for $8, it is interesting. But, the very idea alone of the Smart, Prius, Isetta, and some others, to us guys that have been around good old-fashioned Detroit Iron for MANY years just seems WRONG!:P

Maybe display it in the "tipped" position?

I have a number of those kits.........I sought them out after I bought my 1/1 scale Smart Fortwo.  The kit is the Euro car which shares nothing with the US model body wise and few mechanicals.

I owned two of them and sold both but never for few of it's safety.  I sold them because I was 4-5 hours from a dealership and MB made many items on the car serviceable only by MB.....which I dislike so sold them. 

But when I owned them and was active in the Smart car clubs I saw a number of photos of real Smarts involved in bad wrecks.....they did shed wheels and tires as such and even some of the plastic panels but even in wrecks involving much bigger vehicles, even a few 18 wheelers, never a serious injury.....not among club members.  I think they are safe.....but a PAIN to maintain.