Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toy animals in AMT kits

What AMT kits have the kitten/cat and the dog?? I know the 57 Chevy has the Alligator but that's the only one I seem to remember.. 

that's a good question, Carl....I will check some kits this aft. and get back on this....I think my 61 Galaxie and 62 Buick have them...:huh:....but not sure....the Ace...^_^....UPDATE....the only kit I have is the 62 Buick Electra and it has a small baby elephant.....I checked my 64 Impala, 65 Gran Prix, 53 Ford p/u, 61 Ford, and reissues of similar vintage and have nothing else....sorry, that's not much help......the Ace....:mellow:

Edited by AC Norton

57 ford has a dog .

Thanks Mark!!

that's a good question, Carl....I will check some kits this aft. and get back on this....I think my 61 Galaxie and 62 Buick have them...:huh:....but not sure....the Ace...^_^....UPDATE....the only kit I have is the 62 Buick Electra and it has a small baby elephant.....I checked my 64 Impala, 65 Gran Prix, 53 Ford p/u, 61 Ford, and reissues of similar vintage and have nothing else....sorry, that's not much help......the Ace....:mellow:

Thanks Ace... Still looking for the cat have no idea what kit it is in....

Thanks Mark!!

Thanks Ace... Still looking for the cat have no idea what kit it is in....

you know, Carl, I have seen that darn thing, but can't recall what kit or kits it came in...betcha that if you place a wanted ad in the forum, you would get all you wanted.......also, I'm certain once more members see this thread, you will have answers shortly. for some reason I think its in an early 60s GM car, but not sure..........the Ace....hey, Carl, have you heard from Gene, because I have not lately.....:huh:

I've always wonder. What was the point of the little animals at the time? I love extra little goodies in kits. Things like trailers. MPC's canoes that came with their '69 and '70 Pontiac hardtops. The luggage rack and suit case in AMT's original '63 Corvette. The soapbox derby car that is coming back with AMT's '68 El Camino. Even the bongo drums that appeared in couple old AMT kits. But, the animals? Stuffed or otherwise just never clicked with me. The only one I've ever liked is the old AMT Kat. The others I don't get.

Edited by unclescott58

I've always wonder. What was the point of the little animals at the time? I love extra little goodies in kits. Things like trailers. MPC's canoes that came with their '69 and '70 Pontiac hardtops. The luggage rack and suit case in AMT's original '63 Corvette. The soapbox derby car that is coming back with AMT's '68 El Camino. Even the bongo drums that appeared in couple old AMT kits. But, the animals? Stuffed or otherwise just never clicked with me. The only one I've ever liked is the old AMT Kat. The others I don't get.

Back in the early '60s, it wasn't uncommon to find a stuffed animal in a "custom" car--much along the lines of fuzzy dice, necker knobs, and other doo-dads of that sort.

I just bought an original '63 Coupe that seemed to come with most of the custom parts intact. I'll have to see if it's in the box.

It's in there. Good thing I saw it as a raccoon on the instruction sheet, or I'd have thought it was a big fat squirrel.

Which reminds me, Scott--I believe back in the '60s you could get (like from the JC Whitney catalog) animals you'd mount on the package shelf and you could wire them in and the eyes would light up red with the brake lights and/or taillights. I forget exactly what kind of animals, though--cat, raccoon, puppy, maybe? Been decades since I saw one of those.....

Edited by Snake45

It's in there. Good thing I saw it as a raccoon on the instruction sheet, or I'd have thought it was a big fat squirrel.

Which reminds me, Scott--I believe back in the '60s you could get (like from the JC Whitney catalog) animals you'd mount on the package shelf and you could wire them in and the eyes would light up red with the brake lights and/or taillights. I forget exactly what kind of animals, though--cat, raccoon, puppy, maybe? Been decades since I saw one of those.....

Winky the Cat! I'd love find one today.

I believe the lizard was in the '57 Chevy.

The squirrel was in the 1963 Valiant

Didn't, know what car had the squirrel but the only animal I have  is the lizaard or gator. Have been wondering what kit had the kitten?

Edited by slusher