Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette C7R - Revell new tool

Phildaupho

Beat it, beat it until you can not beat it anymore! Let it out! 

Hop on a bus, makes signs and occupy Revell HQ! No Accuracy, No Purchase! No Accuracy, No Purchase! 

Model Kit Accuracy Matters

Image result for beat it meme

So you troll and rant. Riiiiiiiiggght. 

Just like so many others these days, if YOU declare it "just fine", it's all good. 

Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. 

Entitlement-it's the new black. 

Image result for Mt cleverest

So you troll and rant. Riiiiiiiiggght. 

Just like so many others these days, if YOU declare it "just fine", it's all good. 

Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. 

Entitlement-it's the new black. 

Image result for Mt cleverest

That's funny, you got it totally backwards. Good for you and your bad observations. 

I bought a couple of the C7R kits and if the possible 3rd party LM decals come from a respected North American source, I will likely buy additional kits.

YES the brake rotor issue is unfortunate but I feel it is correctable. What has me FAR more disappointed is that according to my reference photos, the tail light lenses should be clear rather than red tinted.

I feel that this is a larger and more visible error than the brake rotors and probably well outside of the skill level to correct of the majority of modelers. The "solution" for this error (admittedly without a lot of thought given) probably is to use the existing parts as a mold and vac-form replacements using clear plastic.

It would be a great help if someone at Revell-Monogram read this and would be able to offer proper color replacements with some sort of proof of purchase.

dsc_0019-watermarked.jpg

Edited by MG Brown

Until people can deal with others pointing out problems without dredging up dead horse memes that are in themselves perfect examples of dead horses, keyser in fact has it exactly right.

The problems don't start with people pointing out inaccuracies on stuff with an inherent mandate to be accurate.  The problems - personal attacks - have always started with those who can't handle those inaccuracies being pointed out.  There would be no "lemming" talk getting thrown around without YEARS of "rivet counter" slams before it.

That is a cold, granite-hard FACT, whether it squares with anyone's politics or not.

Until people can deal with others pointing out problems without dredging up dead horse memes that are in themselves perfect examples of dead horses, keyser in fact has it exactly right.

The problems don't start with people pointing out inaccuracies on stuff with an inherent mandate to be accurate.  The problems - personal attacks - have always started with those who can't handle those inaccuracies being pointed out.  There would be no "lemming" talk getting thrown around without YEARS of "rivet counter" slams before it.

That is a cold, granite-hard FACT, whether it squares with anyone's politics or not.

Well said Chuck.

Getting back to the brake rotors for a moment,  I am going to place P/E rotors over the kit rotors and call it a day, that is the easiest solution ive come up with.

I wonder why Revell didn't include any decals for the rotors?  Sand the detail off completely and use the decals. If it works decently enough on the California Wheels type kits, it could work here. I'm sure somebody out there could render some. Hell, I'd bet you (or me, or whoever might be reading this) may already have something that might work with a little trimming. 

YES, I know that completely side-steps the mistake made with the inverted slot engraving, but still. I'm not gonna crack open that particular can right now. :)

I wonder why Revell didn't include any decals for the rotors?  Sand the detail off completely and use the decals. If it works decently enough on the California Wheels type kits, it could work here. I'm sure somebody out there could render some. Hell, I'd bet you (or me, or whoever might be reading this) may already have something that might work with a little trimming. 

YES, I know that completely side-steps the mistake made with the inverted slot engraving, but still. I'm not gonna crack open that particular can right now. :)

Funny you mention that, I was just looking at some extra rotor decals to use on mine. But, I am just going to paint them a dark metallic color and make them fade into the background. 

You make a valid point Chuck,   one could also ask why didnt they include a set of number 3's to give builders the option to building both of the team cars, they did that with the C6.R kits.    Or the other question, how are they able to include tire manufacturer decals in this kit, but street cars are still getting blank side wall tires?

I bought a couple of the C7R kits and if the possible 3rd party LM decals come from a respected North American source, I will likely buy additional kits.

YES the brake rotor issue is unfortunate but I feel it is correctable. What has me FAR more disappointed is that according to my reference photos, the tail light lenses should be clear rather than red tinted.

I feel that this is a larger and more visible error than the brake rotors and probably well outside of the skill level to correct of the majority of modelers. The "solution" for this error (admittedly without a lot of thought given) probably is to use the existing parts as a mold and vac-form replacements using clear plastic.

It would be a great help if someone at Revell-Monogram read this and would be able to offer proper color replacements with some sort of proof of purchase.

dsc_0019-watermarked.jpg

Note that yes, those lights are clear, and likely off the 2015/2016 car. Back in 2014, when likely alot of the reference pics for this model were taken they were indeed black/dark tint.

Daytona-Day-2-124-640x391_zpsr6x5zlgp.jp

This shot is from Daytona 2014, clearly the rear lights are dark. 

Is this kit perfect? No, then point to one that is. Even if someone feels a specific kit is perfect, the next guy's gonna look at it and say it's missing xxxx. I agree the brake rotor slots being positive instead of negative is a big miss, yes someone somewhere along the line should of caught it. But its a pretty minor fix. Sand them off, paint the rotors dark metallic grey, like carbon brakes, put the wheels on and no one will know or for that matter likely be able to even seen them with the black wheels. The lights, yeah, it would of been nice, and I think they should of been, clear. That way you can either leave them clear and paint the red if you desire or paint them black if you're doing an older version of the car. All in all tho, all pretty minor issues. The one I dont like, and think is the most major issue with the kit....the decals....one car from a two car team is only represented. Also, the only car you can do is the Tudor series car, not the Le Mans car....this to me, is where Revell really dropped the ball. The kit should of had decals for the #3 and the #4 car as well as the #63 and #64. 

Still with these issues, I'm working on mine happily and will definitely be getting more. I'm sure Studio 27 will be doing some decal sheets, or maybe Mathew Wells from ScaleMotorSports will do correct decals and carbon sheets with some photo etch. 

David

Edited by Jhedir6

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to pick up this kit today to see if it would jump-start my wanting to sit and build something.  I was disappointed to see no one has the usual aftermarket parts... the small photo etch detail sheets, decals for other races, etc.  Did the kit only recently come out?  That could explain it, but I also noticed very few recent releases of ANY parts for ANY kits. 

Have I been on hiatus so long that the whole aftermarket industry has collapsed??

Edited by Nells250

I decided to pick up this kit today to see if it would jump-start my wanting to sit and build something.  I was disappointed to see no one has the usual aftermarket parts... the small photo etch detail sheets, decals for other races, etc.  Did the kit only recently come out?  That could explain it, but I also noticed very few recent releases of ANY parts for ANY kits. 

Have I been on hiatus so long that the whole aftermarket industry has collapsed??

The kit was just released in September, and other than the LeMans team livery there really isn't a whole lot to do with this kit. The GT3 type cars are going to require a significant transkit, if not a whole new body outright to be accurate due to the differences between the two.

chevrolet-corvette-c7-gt3-r-callaway-12.

Although for the good enough crowd, who cares if it looks correct? AmIright?

Also go ahead and ask around to the people like Martinfan who have actually BUILT the kit and learn the lessons of what a pile of non-fitting dreck it is...It really doesn't matter what the brakes look like if you can't fit the body to the chassis because of the way the glass is designed.

Yeah, real scary stuff. Forget it, I am taking this kit back as defective! 

Corvetterotor_zpsvxfaytqs.jpg

Well, who said Revell doesn't listen to modelers. I bought my kit on the weekend and when I opened it, I checked the brake rotors and saw that they had been changed to the correct indented ones not like the ones shown above, although I'm changing them any way.  

Well, who said Revell doesn't listen to modelers. I bought my kit on the weekend and when I opened it, I checked the brake rotors and saw that they had been changed to the correct indented ones not like the ones shown above, although I'm changing them any way.  

Good to know. Maybe someone from did catch it but only after the first run was complete and Revell decided to ship them anyways. Good to see them fixing issues. Now, for my above statement, still no revised decals. I've not checked this past week to see if anyone is doing any other version of the decals yet, or any aftermarket upgrades. Here's hoping the new year will show some aftermarket goodies for this kit. 

At the ACME show in Atlanta today, I saw a well-known aftermarket supplier taking pre-orders for a very comprehensive upgrade kit. Sorry, but I forgot and left the show before getting the particulars.

But rest assured, it's coming...and judging from the rest of their stuff that was on display, it should be a real knockout.

• 3 months later...

The decals look good, just waiting to see what else you get for the price. I hope new brakes and wheels. The kit wheels the spokes are to thick. The aero needs to changed for 2016 car. Front , sides and the rear. 

I believe it does indeed come with wheels and brakes amongst other things.  But there's no updating of anything for 2016, they've decided to go with making the "most accurate" 2015 car possible for $145 of stuff you can throw at a glorified toy.

http://www.hiroboy.com/125_Corvette_C7R_Super_Detail_Kit__PreOrder--product--10678.html

Due for release in approx February 2017

Details

Corvette is at it again with their winning ways, and they have managed to do it with a stunning looking car. PLUS Revell has produced a fabulous kit of the 2015 car, BUT Scale Motorsport wanted to make the Revell kit even better, so we've added true, accurate EDM aluminum wheels, 3D printed brake discs and rotors, photoetch details and the proper decal livery sheet for both the LeMans and Daytona cars. The decal sheet that comes with the Revell kit is for the 2016 car so if you are looking to build their kit properly you'll need the SMS Super Detail.