Model Cars Magazine Forum

Western Star Log Hauler

Here is my Western Star Re-builder that has been a pain for sometimes.. ..this is the 5th time i painted this truck as it was built in 1986 ..its old , still has brass photo etch heat shields on it, back in the day they were no stainless photo etch.. first it was gray then yellow then black and orange then seaside blue and now it some color Honda green i got from my friend David Mars while i was up in Dallas..thanks David .., and let me say plastic gets brittle over time and all the soaking to remove the paint..lol..i re-built the log trailer (scratched built) as i never was happy with the first one..the truck was all ready plumbed (back then i could see lol) ..trailer is also plumbed (took a while lol) ..i also added Louisiana Commercial License plates to truck and trailer and topped that off with a DOT Inspection sticker ..Tim Bogema supplied the western stay decals..(thanks Tim) All in All its finished..i could have did more but its a shelf model..

DSC02863%20-%20Copy.jpg

DSC02864%20-%20Copy.jpg

DSC02865.jpg

DSC02867.jpg

DSC02866.jpg

IMG%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y522/yh70/Western%20Star%20Logger/DSC02869.jpg]

IMG%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y522/yh70/Western%20Star%20Logger/DSC02874.jpg]

DSC02875.jpg

DSC02877.jpg

DSC02878.jpg

DSC02879.jpg

DSC02882.jpg

DSC02883.jpg

Nice!

That Honda green wouldn't happen to be called Hampstead, would it? I ask because I have some of that I'm using on a Pete 359 dump. 

Chuck when i got the paint it was missing the cap and no where on the can was the color code or name..all it said was Honda colors ..but i will find out when i go to the paint store as i want another can..

Very nice job. The front of the cab seems to be sitting a little high.

Great weathering.  

thanks Kenny.. its been setting on the same pins (mounting points) for 30 years, and if it's to high for you just over look it..lol..i didn't mold the kit ..

Edited by yh70

-I'd LOVE to get my hands on the full size bunk to the Westrern Star that Italeri made that was brown...... Looked like a '89 Western Star, I had one and lost it in a house fire BUT I know the truck is long gone but I could take another 'Star, if I had that bunk to make that same truck all over again!

• 3 weeks later...

That's a cool looking truck, I like that you can actually fold up the log trailer. I'm looking forward to trying to do some weathering like you have on the stacks, it's very natural.

thanks Kevin .. i did it with a cigarette lighter .(you can also use a candle)  just hold the stack a inch or so away and let it soot it up  ..if u want it to stay on u can spray it with some flat clear coat..now this was done on aluminum tubing. i have never tried it on plastic..

Edited by yh70

Dave very nice rebuild any chance of seeing this one at the Lake Charles show. 

thanks Dan..No i will probably never enter anything in the LC show again. leaving it up to all u guys , tired of the IPMS  BS ..i had one their last year that didn't place ..all scratch built..took it to Dallas and won a 1st ,Best Paint-Weathering , and Best in Show...