Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Pontiac Bonneville Hard Top. Update, 3/25

StevenGuthmiller

60s Pontiacs are my favourite cars, right up there with 50/60s Jaguars and Cadillacs. I'm doing a 64 Lemans convertible at the moment.

BTW the AMT 62 Pontiacs have clear steering wheels - but I suppose you know that.

I really love what you do with these classic kits and I'll be following along, as always.

Thanks guys!

I usually have a rather strong dislike for black and blue, but the tones work well in this case.

Charlie Larkin

It's one of those combinations that I've never really liked either, but I've seen a few cars in black with a light blue interior that I really liked.

Maybe my tastes are just changing! ^_^

More likely is the fact that I'm always down for a color combo that's a little more on the unusual side, & I think this one will fit the bill.

Speaking of "bill", I have to thank Bill Allphin for suggesting this combination.

After messing up the turquoise, I needed a little inspiration.

Steve

One of the reasons why I hate working with black!

While I sit in my Lazy Boy & polish, I can literally watch the dust settle on the surface as I sit there!

But it seems to be coming out ok.

This is the 3rd build of my last 3 that I had to repaint the hood on after finishing everything! <_<

For some reason, hoods don't seem to agree with me.

Steve

DSCN5849DSCN5848

First post.HUGE 60's full size Pontiac fan.Have built the 65 2+2 and have the 61 and 62 Catalina's in the wait.If you want to depict them as having the fantastic 421 engines,don't forget to get the photo etch 421 fender emblems for your 63 and 64 cars!

The only place that I know for these is Model Car Garage in Florida.Beware of their BIG mistake.They did not realize that the driver's and passenger side emblems differ.End result is you get 2 of only one side of the car.I will have to display mine on one side only on my shelf!

Edited by rrb124@sbcglobal.net
TYPO

Thanks guys!

First post.HUGE 60's full size Pontiac fan.Have built the 65 2+2 and have the 61 and 62 Catalina's in the wait.If you want to depict them as having the fantastic 421 engines,don't forget to get the photo etch 421 fender emblems for your 63 and 64 cars!

The only place that I know for these is Model Car Garage in Florida.Beware of their BIG mistake.They did not realize that the driver's and passenger side emblems differ.End result is you get 2 of only one side of the car.I will have to display mine on one side only on my shelf!

I haven't really decided yet what I will be doing for the engine.

I will most likely be using the engine that came with the kit, but I've contemplated using the dual quad engine from the AMT '62 Catalina kit.

Time will tell.

I'm kinda late to the party on this one but,,

My vote would have been the saddle bronze. One of my uncles had a '67 Cutless in about that color and it had an aqua interior. Never repainted, it came from the factory in that color scheme.

Bronze was never really in the cards for this one.

It was originally going to be turquoise inside & out but there were problems with the paint.

I decided on black with a blue interior.

Gold tones have always been my least favorite colors.

As a matter of fact, I don't believe I have a gold build in my collection.

Something about the color that I've never really cared for.

Closest I have is a Bronze '65 Dodge.

I did start a '65 Plymouth months ago that was pale gold in color, but I have yet to finish it.

Steve

DSCN4924

• 3 weeks later...

The more I look at this the more I like it.  And you can thank me for the color choices by sending it to me,,,once its done of course.

You know I dont have a 63

Might I ask your methods to polish these things?

I used Duplicolor black on this and I didnt get mine as slick as yours appears to be

post-9887-0-04486300-1426808896_thumb.jp

The more I look at this the more I like it.  And you can thank me for the color choices by sending it to me,,,once its done of course.

You know I dont have a 63

Might I ask your methods to polish these things?

I used Duplicolor black on this and I didnt get mine as slick as yours appears to be

Looks pretty nice in the photo to me Bill! :)

I use Micro Mesh polishing pads, usually starting with 3600 to 4000 grit and working my way up.

Followed by Novus liquid polish & finishing with a good buffing with Turtle Wax "Scratch & Swirl Remover".

Steve

Steve, you can't cuss on this board, but you're making me want to....  holy --------, that is amazing!!!  I'm a huge fan of your work, but the finish on this may top them all.  WOW.... 

Thanks Kevin.

It turned out pretty well but I still have the hood to polish.

I hope at this point I don't wind up with any issues with that! :P

Steve