Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Talking Car?

JollySipper

The four-door Thunderbirds did not talk, to tell you your door was open. It had a simple warning light, like many other upper priced cars of the time had. Either as standard equipment. Or as an option.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but the first talking cars I remember were the '85 (or was that '84) Chrysler New Yorker and E-Class, and the Dodge 600. The old joke was when it told you "Your door is ajar." You were suppose to say, "No it is not a jar. It's a door." ?

I've been drivin' for over fifty years, so I really don't need any voice in my vehicle tellin' me anything at all.

Today's cars won't talk to you, but will hit the brakes, turn the steering wheel and even parallel park your car for you. Actually some cars with speech recognition capability will also have a 2-way conversation with you. How's that for progress? :D

Today's cars won't talk to you, but will hit the brakes, turn the steering wheel and even parallel park your car for you. Actually some cars with speech recognition capability will also have a 2-way conversation with you. How's that for progress? :D

Pity they don't say "hey dumbazz, stop texting, put the damm phone away, and concentrate on your driving."   ;)

Modern technology is destroying our simple quality of life.

Actually some cars with speech recognition capability will also have a 2-way conversation with you. How's that for progress? :D

The experimental AI that's inhabited my own computer since 2005 or 6 can already do that, and has been able to for years.

Modern technology is destroying our simple quality of life.

The technology is great, wonderful, almost beyond belief for the good it can do...used intelligently. The problem is that it's becoming a lazy person's substitute for everything else, and the tech is, frankly, smarter than most of the people using it.

That's what every generation says (but I agree that this time around the change seems to be more severe than in the past). :)

Not to worry. Non-augmented humans should be pretty well obsolete by about 2025.  B)

This thread reminds me of all the silly talk about so-called "smart guns." I'M smart. I don't want or need a "smart gun." I want a real stupid gun that just does exactly what I tell it to do, and when I tell it to do it, and EVERY TIME I tell it to do it. That's all. I'll handle the brains end of the operation, thank you very much.

The technology is great, wonderful, almost beyond belief for the good it can do...used intelligently. The problem is that it's becoming a lazy person's substitute for everything else, and the tech is, frankly, smarter than most of the people using it.

"used intelligently"  There's the problem!

This thread reminds me of all the silly talk about so-called "smart guns." I'M smart. I don't want or need a "smart gun." I want a real stupid gun that just does exactly what I tell it to do, and when I tell it to do it, and EVERY TIME I tell it to do it. That's all. I'll handle the brains end of the operation, thank you very much.

That's pretty much the way I feel about ALL my machines. I don't want a smart fridge to tell me my milk is chunky, or a smart washer with an LCD touch-screen control panel that will cost twice the value of the damm machine when it fails in two years, or a smartass car that thinks it has to pull back on the power when I'm turning...or that can parallel park itself because it was designed to sell to incompetent morons.  And I sure as hell don't want a "smart" gun.

What I WOULD love to see is a world full of smart PEOPLE. 

Yeah, like that will ever happen.