Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'31 Ford Tudor

Marc Weller

I've been away from building for several years now. A few weeks ago Pryor Passorino called to ask if I was planning to attend the Spirit of Speed 2 at the NHRA museum and I was inspired to finish a project that has been stalled on my workbench since 2013. It is the Revell '31 Tudor painted with Testors lacquers (50:50 silver and purple metallic) clear coated with Valspar urethane. AMT parts pack small block with injection from the Double Dragster. Modelhaus wheels and tires, scratch built 3 point cage. I been working steadily on this one for a few weeks. Still need to finish the headers, mount the Moon tank and grille shell, do a little plumbing and she'll be good to go. 

P1040345.JPG

P1040347.JPG

P1040348.JPG

P1040346.JPG

Finished the headers last night. Had to change the flange angle so they would clear the fenders. Also created new flanges since the original ones were way too thick. Alcad chrome works well against the kit chrome. Moon tank and grille shell tonite. A few odds and ends and I'm done. Hmm, I have another unfinished project from 2010. Maybe I can thrash on that one, I have a few days to go. 

g

P1040358.JPG

Edited by Marc Weller

Almost ready for prime time. Moon tank is mounted. Grille shell is attached, you can't see the blue tinted plexi grille shell filler in in the photo but it is there and you can look through it and see the timing cover and fuel pump (still waiting for plumbing). Body and fenders are attached. Still need to do grille shell supports. The shifter ball is the coolest part on the whole model. I held some clear styrene sprue vertically over a candle until it formed a droplet shape. Since the styrene boiled, It formed little bubbles inside. I initially planned to make a Tiki head out of Milliput but I couldn't pull it off. I like this just as well. Next post under glass.

P1040359.JPG

P1040360.JPG

P1040358.JPG

Edited by Marc Weller

Yeah! I love it, very cool parts choices, paint, and detailing. That 50/50 paint mix seems to have produced a more 50s-appropriate color than what comes out of the can.

What are the front tires from? They almost look like New Tool Ala Kart? I like 'em.

Funny, I have a stalled project that is basically...this, but with a blown 409 and intended to be painted orange 'flake with red-tinted windows. Had some serious trouble with a badly warped body, so every so often I pull it out and reinforce stuff, trying to get the body to hold together better.

Exactly, I picked up a bunch of that stuff at a Michael's two for one sale. This is the T that inspired the model. I decided to do the '31 because Revell sent me the kit to review. I never did the review but I finally finished the model. They haven't sent any kits in awhile!!

IMG_0022.JPG

Exactly, I picked up a bunch of that stuff at a Michael's two for one sale. This is the T that inspired the model. I decided to do the '31 because Revell sent me the kit to review. I never did the review but I finally finished the model. They haven't sent any kits in awhile!!

IMG_0022.JPG

Thanks, Doc! I might have to try that. That One Coat Purple (Purpleicious) is a nice color, but it's a bit too dark for my tastes.