Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wrinkles

shoot a semi wet coat. ,,,wait a few minutes ,,basically just enough to let the paint flash off and not absorb the next coats,,,, then a couple short light bursts from a pretty good distance away so its nearly dry when it hits the subject at hand . but the base coat is still wet enough that these short bursts stick to it yet dry enough that it doesn't allow the paint to level out ( your basically trying to intentionally produce over spray )

Might take a few tests on scrap plastics first to get it down with timing

I don't think it's wrinkle finish. Look at how that breather or whatever it is is reflected. I've never seen wrinkle paint do that. Has anyone else?

I think it's black or a dark gray with a heavy "flake" type element to it, and pretty shiny, too.

I think Testor has a black metalflake in their line that might give you the look you want.

I don't think it's wrinkle finish. Look at how that breather or whatever it is is reflected. I've never seen wrinkle paint do that. Has anyone else?

I think it's black or a dark gray with a heavy "flake" type element to it, and pretty shiny, too.

I think Testor has a black metalflake in their line that might give you the look you want.

I had exactly the same thoughts.

It COULD be wrinkle-paint buried in clear. I've seen equally missing-the-whole-point "restoration" work done more than a few times. ;)

BUT...wrinkle paint in photos can actually look kinda like the original post too, appearing to be more reflective that it really is. It depends on your mind's interpretation of the image.

Image result for wrinkle paint    Image result for wrinkle paint    Image result for wrinkle paint

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

That's NOT a wrinkle finish.  I believe it's called a hammer finish and I've seen 1:1 rattle cans that will do that particular look.

I disagree (but I CAN be wrong). I use a lot of both products in my big-car work. 

A "hammered finish" is essentially a forced fisheye effect. It looks like this in full scale.

NOTE: I TOOK THE ORIGINAL FULL-SIZED IMAGE DOWN. IT HAD DEGRADED AND NO LONGER LOOKED CORRECT. POSSIBLY SOME PROBLEM RELATED TO HOT-LINKING TO ANOTHER SITE. I'M LOOKING FOR A SUITABLE REPLACEMENT.

HERE'S ONE.

2-immediately-after-paint.jpg

The appearance is somewhat similar but also quite different from wrinkle paint.   Image result for hammered finish spray paint

Edited by Ace-Garageguy