Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Corvette

Psychographic

PB301119%20Medium_zpsgnmdy4ti.jpg

The more I research my next project, the more I'm dazzled by your design choices. This isn't just made up stuff, you've studied future cars and this demonstrates a real understanding of contemporary concepts. And that's aside from the superb mechanical engineering you've shown. I covet.

Lots of sanding, priming, filling and more priming. Other than making the hinge for the bubble, the main part of the body is ready for paint. The back half is close and so is the undertray.  Hinging the back was not much fun as I had a heck of a time getting it to close properly.  Using a smaller pin on the hinge to allow a slight bit of "Slop" fixed the problem.

I don't think I've posted a pic of the bottom of the undertray.

It's all one color for the first time.

The last main body mod is hinging the bubble. I hope this goes as planned!

I filed two notches into the glass, and two holes into the frame. I'm hoping to drill and cement two pieces of styrene rod into the frame for the brass rod to slide into.

PC061142%20Medium_zpsgrrffnh4.jpg

The bottom of the hinge, I used some .060 scrap to hold the tube in place as this will dry much faster than the epoxy I have. Also by cementing and using Styrene Bondo as a backup and filler, after about 15-20 minutes it's got a decent bond, but can be moved with a little force to fine tune the alignment. After aligning things I hit it with another good dose of MEK to help remelt the joint.

PC061143%20Medium_zpsfdt2ggey.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

A good thing I cemented it the way I did, I had the hinge way to far forward on the body. After an adjustment I think it will work. I'll know in about an hour, I want to test it before things set up so much that there is no chance of giving something a little nudge if needed.

The rods, drilled and installed.

I

Simply amazing ! Looking forward to how you'll finish the outside of the canopy hinges. It doesn't look like it would be removable for painting. I'm sure you have that already figured out.   

I can remove the canopy, it will slide right off the brass rod. You'll see how it works very soon.

Other than having to trim the glass a little in the front, it looks like it will work. The bad news is once again I have another part that is too fragile for my not so sensitive building style. The surround for the canopy is the victim on this build, it just broke again. It kind of goes like this, manhandle, break, fix, repeat until paint, then pray it holds.

I cut the styrene rods too short to give enough support once everything is cut down and filled in.  I made some extensions and rounded the exposed end to give it a finished look, along with filing down the front edge of the glass.

PC061151%20Medium_zpsic18fuuz.jpg

PC061153%20Medium_zpsvoyzrxcf.jpg

Once I was happy with the fit, I marked the brass wire at the surface of the canopy surround, then cut it a little shy of my mark. You can't make this too shallow as this will act as a stop when mounting the canopy to the hinge, too thin and you can pop the brass rod through. Next  I put it back together and the holes are filled with Styrene Bondo and set aside to dry before strengthening the rods from the bottom.

PC061155%20Medium_zpsvn1jlqbh.jpg

It doesn't look like it would be to awful bad trying to get in the drivers seat.

Edited by Psychographic