Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 pro mod chevelle, chassis started mock ups

mr68gts

Those are perfect Paul and the detail you've captured is just fantastic.  I'll be curious to see what you think of them once they print em' out for you.   Cheers, Tim

Thanks Tim. Most of what has been printed has come out really good so far. I myself am curious though. The technology is amazing for sure but there are some limitations to it which is the draw back besides the clean up on certain materials.

I Have to say,that 3D printing is absolutely incredible.And you make it look so easy.Gotta get me one of those things.Great job on the entire car.Can't wait till it's finished.

Thank You. I can't wait till it's on wheels! Plan is to have it as a roller with a basic engine on display at GSL this year.

Managed to finish up the other part of the 4 link bracket. These actually adjust with in the other part depending on where you require them. (On a real car it's critical, on the model not so much but hey, if I can make it so..... I will! lol)

i got to hand it to you paul.  super detailing there!!!!!! now if i can just convince you and chris to build in 1/8 (so people can see these details)!!!! hehe.

buy the way.....do you mind telling us what glue you use for this printed material? (sorry if someone has already asked)

Thanks Dave! I so far have just used superglue. works pretty good thus far.

So, with a WHOLE LOT of help, the engineering part of the 4 link is finished up. Now mind you on a real car it is critical on where the bars sit as it moves the intersect points essentially changing how the car will leave the line. On a model it's obviously not critical but if I can't engineer it correctly in scale then the end result is it will all fit together properly and now everything will clear so the model will look right since it is true to scale! 

All this work has led to this...

completed%204%20link%20diagram_zpsb1wlss

With everything where it's supposed to be the driveshaft is now in the correct position. And the bars will be correctly located also. From this I can build the fixture for the bars so now there is no guess work with them. 4 links can be a pain in real life, no need to make it any harder in scale lol.

Paul

Edited by mr68gts

Thank you guys!

I placed the order for the 4 link parts and added to the file the front brakes, some of the crank drive parts for the 481x, the updated front struts, and some suspension tab pieces just in case the ones on there already break on me during the reconstruction and an MSD 44 promag. Like a kid excited for Christmas, I can hardly wait lol. Hurry up 18th of Jan!

Paul

And finally the last piece of the 481x long block is finished up! (the block!) Thanks to those that have helped and also pushed me to get this thing finished! The rest of the front of the block is finished up and at Shapeways also. I think I am going to add a crank snout starter to it though but that should be easy. I hope...

Now I will need to finish up the supercharger manifold and do the superchargers for it.

It's not cheap to print at 28 dollars but it will be supported pretty good. I may go back in and clear out some material in the middle to cut down on some of the material costs. That's where most of the expense is. It passed all of Shapeways inspections so it's ready for me to order up....as soon as I save up some money! lol.

So now you could download the necessary files and send em' to a shop that does CNC stuff and it will machine it in aluminum?   If so, where can I order one?   Seriously though, it won't be long where that will be the case.  Wow is all I can say Paul.   Cheers, tim

Tim, technically yes. I could do it now if I had the machine and tooling. Because you can take the file and open it up in Mastercam which will help convert it to the necessary file for nc (maybe .stl also, im not sure) and program the machine to mill it. It would takes days however to machine. Limitaions to something in scale would be available tooling however. Easier maybe to use as a wax master and cast in metal maybe.

Thanks Paul for the insight.  I ordered a 1/25th scale pro stock chassis weeks ago from Shapeways in metal.  It's not shown up yet though.  What if they printed the engine in metal?  Do you think it's progressed that far yet?   At some point my mill and lathe will be nothing but door stops or boat anchors it seems with how rapidly the technology is evolving.  Nice job on it and can't wait to get your impressions on the actual pieces.  cheers, tim

• mr68gts changed the title to 69 pro mod chevelle, chassis started mock ups