Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage cars and their owners

Cool picture collection. I wonder what is the story behind them. Are all of them from the US? I see a Citroen Traction in the collection aswell but since one can't see the licence plate it is difficult to tell where the picture is taken.

That is a neat collection. Some great cars in there. Photo forensics is another hobby of mine, based on a bunch of skills I picked up over the decades. It's kind of fun trying to geolocate where some of these were shot. I'd say at least a quarter of them were taken outside the US. France, one definitely in England, some of the others I can pin down a US state either by the plates, or by the architecture, types of trees, or other regional clues, like the MG shot taken in what looks like Southern California, most likely the L.A. area.  Also noted the duplicated car shot somewhere in the midwest at what looks like a yard for keeping auto-transport trailers. One with woman driver and dog outside the vehicle, the other they are in it. 

Cool photo collection. People had a lot of pride in their cars. They were a symbol of upward mobility in society. As many think of cars ownership  as just a normal thing today, this was a big deal. We lose touch with these things,  going back in time other status symbols were owning your own fountain pen and watch.  People would buy watches on a payment plan, it was a major purchase.

vintage-car-2.jpg

I liked this picture because..

antique cart

I have this little stroller.  I've owned it forever and it sits in the corner of our bedroom.  I like it the way it is, wouldn't dream of trying to restore it.

This has 50 photos of old cars taken with their owners. Pretty interesting shots of people and their personal autos.

vintage-car-1_zpsrnjyoyzj.jpg

What a great collection of photos. I enjoyed looking at the and identifying all the cars that I could. Remember a few from childhood as older members of my family owned some of these. The '49 Ford reminds me of the time I went with my father to take delivery of our brand new black '49 Ford four door.   

Cool pictures, thanks for the link. I have to say, if you notice nearly every car is off of the pavement, mostly with no pavement in site. Pretty common in the early days to be off pavement. Could you imagine taking a 20xx modern car off of an improved road today? Would not last long!

The '49 Ford reminds me of the time I went with my father to take delivery of our brand new black '49 Ford four door.   

The first new car delivery I remember was when my father and I went to pick up his brand new 1966 Pontiac Lemans 2 door hardtop. It was midnight blue with a white bucket interior,  326 with a 4 speed.  I remember being sad to leave behind our trusty 1962 Lark sedan.  There is a photo of me with the Lark somewhere in my father's vast photo archive.

The first new car delivery I remember was when my father and I went to pick up his brand new 1966 Pontiac Lemans 2 door hardtop. It was midnight blue with a white bucket interior,  326 with a 4 speed.  I remember being sad to leave behind our trusty 1962 Lark sedan.  There is a photo of me with the Lark somewhere in my father's vast photo archive.

I remember driving State of Connecticut Highway Dept. black Lark sedans about that age to go everywhere during a summer job in college. They were about the slowest things ever, but they got us to the shopping centers where we sat in desk/chairs and recorded every license plate going in and out. We went all over the state and never broke down.

Cool photo collection. People had a lot of pride in their cars. They were a symbol of upward mobility in society. As many think of cars ownership  as just a normal thing today, this was a big deal. We lose touch with these things,  going back in time other status symbols were owning your own fountain pen and watch.  People would buy watches on a payment plan, it was a major purchase.

vintage-car-2.jpg

I liked this picture because..

antique cart

I have this little stroller.  I've owned it forever and it sits in the corner of our bedroom.  I like it the way it is, wouldn't dream of trying to restore it.

#1, That '41 Oldsmobile wasn't a new car in this pic, but certainly well-cared for.  (In 1941, hardly a woman (even a teenaged girl) would be seen outdoors wearing cut-off jeans as shorts.  #2, That child isn't in a stroller--those a ride-on toy, but using the child's feet against the ground (or sidewalk) to propel it forward (I had a pair of cousins who had one of those way back when!)

• 4 years later...
12 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

I think I know where that car is now. If I ever get a chance to get a photo of it I'll post it up...

Actually, it looks like it's parked in the same location, if that picture was taken in Idaho.

From the comments, it appears the submitter, Deborah, mentioned it was taken in Virginia?: https://www.shorpy.com/node/14466#comments

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

From the comments, it appears the submitter, Deborah, mentioned it was taken in Virginia?: https://www.shorpy.com/node/14466#comments

Yeah, chances are not...

The one I see is in a yard between Spokane and Plummer, Idaho. I am pretty sure it's a blue and white hardtop pretty similar to that car.

D19FEE1D-4187-4875-AEFC-C0FED7FD1EC3_1_201_a.jpeg.ba68081a33381928d698dc09c9ae0587.jpeg

Here it is, actually, on Google earth. I have always wanted to stop and get a photo.

Edited by Erik Smith

12 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Here it is, actually, on Google earth. I have always wanted to stop and get a photo.

You should. Looks like there are others in that same yard worth a photo or two. 🙂

Here's a family posing with their '58 DeSoto Firesweep, with a two-tone green '56 Chevy Del Ray(?) 4-door sedan lurking in the background

58desotofiresweep.jpg.6da7eac62803a17bc7e18a8872ece717.jpg