Model Cars Magazine Forum

'85 Pontiac Fiero GT

Scalper

This is looking really sharp!

Thank you.  With the little bench time I had today.  I managed to complete the rest of the front components.   I had already glued in the a arms and wheels. So step 10 an 11 was very difficult to get in 

image.thumb.jpg.26f0e9f9287b522681d839d8image.thumb.jpg.e32fd4a5c2c7006394ef7819

• 2 months later...

I missed this when you first started..........nice to see this one back on your WIP! B)

Interesting that Monogram modeled their '85 GT with those side air scoops, and not the black square "port" (driver's side) that was standard on all Fieros. Too bad that Monogram also didn't see fit to model the later GT which would come along for '86½. It would have been nice to compare that to MPC's GT which they did.

I'll be following this one as this is one of my favorite '80's cars, and one of the few bright spots that the decade had to offer.

Well.,, The kit gives you the option of both. So I will be using the Square ports .

they way they made the kit is a whole side panel after the doors to the rear wheels.

In1984, a buddy of mine and I were stationed in England, RAF Alconbury and RAF Upwood.   He brought his red fiero over with him.  It was like driving a spaceship though the small towns.  That car got a ton of looks.  Even had a freelance driver/writer take it on a pretty hard drive.  He said kind thigs about it but had hoped it would do more.  It really was a fun car to tear around the British country side.

I'm just up the road from Alconbury and Upwood, we do still see some imported "Yank tanks" driving about taking up the whole road ;) 

Build looks good, looks like it's going together nicely! 

• 1 month later...

When these first came out in '83 I remember someone had parked one in front of my house, it was red with a buff colored interior. I recall thinking it was a wild step for GM to take, building a budget Ferrari. I seem to recall there were problems with panels warping in warmer climates and engine spontaneous combustion everywhere. Or at least those were the rumors around the campfire. An interesting idea, slain by the bean counters at GM.