Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Merc Battlewagon

Intmd8r

I'm going to have look back at this on the bench for how you did the wood.

Thanks again for the positive feedback.

I hadn’t covered the wood in detail in the build, so I’ll quickly sum up what I did. 

First, I brushed on Testors Enamel Wood on the wood frame over the black primer.  Made sure to leave brush stokes and some of the primer showing to help create the missing wood grain effect.  Next I created my own “wash” by diluting some Tan Acrylic with water.  Then I air brushed white Acrylic over that.

We used to have an old garage made from reclaimed Cedar planks.  As the Cedar aged naturally, it turned from a red to black and grey.  That’s what I tried here with the panels/inserts.

After the kit decals were applied, I again used the air brush with Acrylic black to shade in the panels.

Next, I used my trusty black wash on all of the wood.  Things went too dark for my liking, so I used a damp paper towel to remove the excess wash to bring back some of the color.

I’m sure that there are different ways of achieving this effect, but this was my first time and I got the results that I was hoping for.